Check Switch Issue - VIP 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Watts

Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
I have a VIP 622 and a Superdish pointed at 110, 119 and 105 using a DP 34 switch. I have 4 cables out of the switch for 4 receviers, only using 2 (I have a 501 upstairs.)
Here's one for the experts out there. I am running this 622 in single mode, only powering one TV. Recently, I have had timer recordings fail because of no signal on tuner 2. Then, the other day, I got a screen saying something like "problem with Sat input 2 run a check switch", which I did. Sat input 1 was fine seeing all three sats. But Sat 2 was only seeing 110.
I called Dish, and they concluded I needed a new switch, which I bought and installed, but I still get the same thing. Do I need to replace the cabling from the switch to the LNBs? Replace the LNBs? I don't understand how the 2nd tuner can see 110, but not 119 or 105.
Here are 2 screenshots. The first is my result after running Check Switch. The second is the screen after selecting "Help" on the first screen.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Attachments

• P2071013.JPG
    P2071013.JPG
    443 KB · Views: 175
  • P2071014.JPG
    P2071014.JPG
    464.9 KB · Views: 188
try moving the cables at the switch, move the cable for tuner 2 to the unused port on the switch & see if that fixes it,

But if you already have a new switch you may have a bad line to tuner 2 or a bad tuner in the receiver.

You can also try swapping tuner 1&2 feeds at the receiver to rule out a bad tuner in the receiver.

If the problem changes to tuner 1, then you haver a bad line or switch

"I have 4 cables out of the switch for 4 receviers, only using 2 (I have a 501 upstairs.)"

Can you clarify on this? If you're using a DP34, you need two cable runs to the 622 and don't use separators. The third run goes to the 501. You can only use separator (single cable run to dual tuners) with a DPP44 or DPP Twin LNB.

"I have 4 cables out of the switch for 4 receviers, only using 2 (I have a 501 upstairs.)"

Can you clarify on this? If you're using a DP34, you need two cable runs to the 622 and don't use separators. The third run goes to the 501. You can only use separator (single cable run to dual tuners) with a DPP44 or DPP Twin LNB.

You're right. I mis-stated. I am using 3 of the outputs from the switch, 2 for the VIP (no splitters, diplexors, etc.) and one for the 501 upstairs.

You're right. I mis-stated. I am using 3 of the outputs from the switch, 2 for the VIP (no splitters, diplexors, etc.) and one for the 501 upstairs.

Got it. Try using ports 3 and 4 for the 622 or ports 1 and 2. Also, swap the cables at the receiver just to rule out the cables. If the problem moves to tuner 1 then we know it's the cable.

try moving the cables at the switch, move the cable for tuner 2 to the unused port on the switch & see if that fixes it,

But if you already have a new switch you may have a bad line to tuner 2 or a bad tuner in the receiver.

You can also try swapping tuner 1&2 feeds at the receiver to rule out a bad tuner in the receiver.

If the problem changes to tuner 1, then you haver a bad line or switch

Thanks for the reply. I will try switching cables at the receiver first. It will be hard to determine which cable(s) coming out of the switch are going to what input on the VIP 622 and the 501, though!

Got it. Try using ports 3 and 4 for the 622 or ports 1 and 2. Also, swap the cables at the receiver just to rule out the cables. If the problem moves to tuner 1 then we know it's the cable.

Randall, thanks. It's virtually impossible for me to know what cable has come from what port on the switch. The cables are not labeled on each end, so once they leave the switch, go underground, under the house, up to the TV's, who knows? I will just have to disconnect one at a time to isolate what's what.
Thanks for the help.

you can always do it the poor mans way, leave only the 622 connected, unplug the 501, goto the switch and take a screwdriver and short out the stinger to the outer shield, if it sparks that's the line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts