Check Switch Test failed?!

clor0xbleech

Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
Houston, Texas
I have been using my dvr 522 with a 500 satellite. So far I am happy with it, tho something still makes me miss In Demand... Anyways, After Hurricane Rita passed (While it was passing my home the dish was still working!!!) the next day, I hear it has an error for quite some time. So I go to the television hooked up to the SAT and it says Acquiring satellite singnal 0 of 5... I know what this means but its been doin it for a long time, so I decided to call Dish Network. After some time of re booting and junk, we discovered that the dish failed the Check Switch test. We re booted it, re hooked cables, un hooked cables, ETC. and still no progress. The cables outside are still in place and junk. Can someone help me clarify What the Check Switch test is, and how I may be able to at least watch SAT on 1 tv. Watching local TV about Hurricane Rita is annoying and boring.

Dish 500
Dish 522 reciever
53 inch Sony TV
20 inch Symphonic Flat Screen
32-34 inch Samsung tube

Most likely problem is that water has gotten into the connections - especially since you say the outside cables are junk.

We need to know whether you have a DishPro or Legacy system. Look for "DP" logo on the LNB. It really does matter to the troubleshooting procedure.

As for your original question, "Check Switch" is the procedure the receiver executes to determine what type of outdoor equipment you have. Note that even without an obvious external switch box, a Dish500 still has one - built into the LNB housing.

Simon are you getting old or just grumpy? :)

Use "teenspeak" After some time of re booting and junk.

Junk cable ;) :D :D

SimpleSimon said:
Most likely problem is that water has gotten into the connections - especially since you say the outside cables are junk.

We need to know whether you have a DishPro or Legacy system. Look for "DP" logo on the LNB. It really does matter to the troubleshooting procedure.

As for your original question, "Check Switch" is the procedure the receiver executes to determine what type of outdoor equipment you have. Note that even without an obvious external switch box, a Dish500 still has one - built into the LNB housing.

Its Says DP, and um Inwo. What did you just say? I did reboot it and all. So you thing water got into the cables eh? Ahh well, I huess I'ma wait till fri so they can come fix it for $29.

clor0xbleech said:
oh I didn't say the cables were junk either.

Sorry ;) I was teasing Simon! :)

I think when you said " and junk " he thought you meant cables were JUNK. Else he was just messing with you!

Yup - that's what I thought he meant. Guess I'm just old.

Words still mean things to me. :)
Dictionary.com said:
junk1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jngk)
n.
  1. Discarded material, such as glass, rags, paper, or metal, some of which may be reused in some form.
  2. Informal.
    Articles that are worn-out or fit to be discarded: broken furniture and other junk in the attic.
    Cheap or shoddy material.
    Something meaningless, fatuous, or unbelievable: nothing but junk in the annual report.
  3. Slang. Heroin.
  4. Hard salt beef for consumption on board a ship.

"The cables outside are still in place and junk"
Since I don't speak "teenspeak" can someone translate "junk" for me. :)

To me, "junk" means what Simon posted "Discarded material". You guys are scaring me, I'm not that old.

RandallA said:
"The cables outside are still in place and junk"
Since I don't speak "teenspeak" can someone translate "junk" for me. :)

To me, "junk" means what Simon posted "Discarded material". You guys are scaring me, I'm not that old.
Junk=Stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts