Check to see if you can get a FREE 61.5/148 dish installed

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Thought this might help the Voom & Dish customers wanting a 61.5 dish.

Dish Network will install a free 61.5 or 148 dish if you have a local channel on one of the side slots. Give them a call.

Full list here:
http://www.dbstalk.com/ekb/143

61.5° 148°
Atlanta, GA (3) Abilene / Sweetwater, TX (5)
Boston, MA (5) Amarillo, TX (7)
Buffalo, NY (2) Billings, MT (4)
Chicago, IL (6) Cheyenne, WY (5)
Cleveland, OH (2) Dallas, TX (1)
Detroit, MI (1) Denver, CO (7)
Greenville, SC (2) Fresno, CA (3)
Indianapolis, IN (1) Grand Junction, CO (5)
Louisville, KY (2) Houston, TX (5)
Memphis, TN (1) Idaho Falls / Pocatello, ID(5)
Minneapolis, MN (1) Las Vegas, NV (1)
Nashville, TN (2) Little Rock, AR (2)
New York, NY (8) Los Angeles, CA (3)
Orlando, FL (5) Lubbock, TX (6)
Paducah, KY (1) Medford, OR (6)
Philadelphia, PA (5) Omaha, NE (1)
Pittsburgh, PA (1) Rapid City, SD (5)
Roanoke, VA (2) Sacramento, CA (2)
St. Louis, MO (2) Salt Lake City, UT (2)
Tampa, FL (5) San Francisco, CA (9)
Washington, D.C. (5) Santa Barbara, CA (1)
Seattle, WA (2)
Sioux Falls, SD (2)
Spokane, WA (2)
Tulsa, OK (3)
Twin Falls, ID (5)
Waco, TX (1)

mw
you're partially right

The areas that have one or more channels on the wing (but the rest on 110/119) can get it free due to must carry..no strings attached

The locals that are ENTIRELY on the wing (148) DO NOT get it free unless they agree for a year
places like Cheyenne, Amarillo, Billings, Rapid City, etc

Rule of thumb...other than Denver, Fresno, Houston, SF and Tulsa...if you have more than one local on the wing (148...NOT 61.5), all the locals are there.

What if, you can only get line of sight on 61.5 if they have to put it on a pole 20ft. out in the backyard. Would it still be free?

Pegasus said:
What if, you can only get line of sight on 61.5 if they have to put it on a pole 20ft. out in the backyard. Would it still be free?

probably not

the free dish is "includes standard installation"

depending on the tech, they may or may not (also depends on how much you give him) :D

Just ordered my free dish for install on monday (I'm in Dallas and apparently there is a single spanish language channel on 148)! One quick question, after the dish is installed and pointed at 148, which I think is where the Dallas channel is, will Dish be mad at me if I point it to 61.5 so I can get the 10 new Voom channels (since it sounds like we will have a to wait a while for them to me mirrored to 148)?

Cheers, Mark

Dalbrit said:
Just ordered my free dish for install on monday (I'm in Dallas and apparently there is a single spanish language channel on 148)! One quick question, after the dish is installed and pointed at 148, which I think is where the Dallas channel is, will Dish be mad at me if I point it to 61.5 so I can get the 10 new Voom channels (since it sounds like we will have a to wait a while for them to me mirrored to 148)?

Cheers, Mark

yep. There is 1 spanish independent on 148 and yes you can reaim to 61.5

I had one for must carry at 61.5, and I've reaimed that thing at so many different satellites since then
91 (for ExpressVu)
119 (for fun)
148 (to see if anything cool is there

Cheers Iceberg. I have a friend who's done some of his own satellite installing, so I will get him to bring his equipment over and let him have at it as soon as the Dish man has left!!!

Thanks, Mark

Dalbrit said:
Cheers Iceberg. I have a friend who's done some of his own satellite installing, so I will get him to bring his equipment over and let him have at it as soon as the Dish man has left!!!

Thanks, Mark

give him these numbers
36.3 elevation
122 azimuth

that will get it to the right area :)

Thanks again Iceberg - talk about service above and beyond... Now I just have to break it to the wife that, yes, we really do need two dishes...

Mark

mdonnelly said:
Never thought Lubbock, TX would have an advantage over OKC. :(

They get a Wing Sat on 148 and Texas Tech , you don't get a Wing Sat and get the Sooners... I think you win personally. :p

Just signed up to get my free dish on the 61.5 sat for my other two locals. Got an install date of next Tuesday, 5/3. So that gives me time to see what falls out with pricing on the new channels, etc...

djmav said:
Confused here. When I ordered they installed to DISH500 dishes. I live in San Francisco, does that mean I would get the new Voom channels?

There are channels on the 148 slot for SF. If you don't have the 2nd dish and do subscribe to locals, call Dish and tell them you have some channels that say I need a 2nd dish and to call them to get it.

Mike4HDTV said:
If I don't qualify for a free dish for 61.5, how much does a dish cost?

probably $99

depending on your setup, you could get it pretty cheap

whtcha got right now for equipment (LNB's and switches)

djmav said:
Confused here. When I ordered they installed to DISH500 dishes. I live in San Francisco, does that mean I would get the new Voom channels?

I live in the Bay Area and they installed a second dish for 148. Call E* and tell them that you are missing some local channels. KTSF and KCSM are on the 148 satellite.