Cheney Accidentally Shoots Fellow Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had they not tried to cover this up and deadeye dick take responsibility, this story would be a nonstory.

However, the fact the ranch owner was told to tell the media about the incident, and then the "oh, well the guy shouldn't have been standing there" defense just goes along with everything else this administration does. Don't blame me, its someone else fault!

Where the heck IS cheney anyways? Apparently he had a meeting with some foreign visitors yesterday but skipped out when it was time for the press session. Is it so hard for these schmucks to say "I'm sorry"?

I'm pretty sure a simple "It was an accident, I didn't see him, I should have been more careful" statement would have worked a lot better than the typical stonewalling that we've all come to love.

stuart628 said:
LETs tell the whole story, its a new law, and the white house even called and made sure that he had everything he needed, according to the Texas hunting whatever he was fine, but then when it happened the said you need a stamp to hunt, lets give the whole story, not just what makes him look bad!

I did not know that the he did not know that he needed the stamp before I posted this. I found out today that they change the law right before he got his liscense. I was not in anyway trying to mislead anyone. :)

Now that thats said.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/bush_administration

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The 78-year-old lawyer wounded by Vice President Dick Cheney in a hunting accident suffered a mild heart attack Tuesday after a shotgun pellet in his chest traveled to his heart, hospital officials said. Harry Whittington was immediately moved back to the intensive care unit and will be watched for a week to make sure more of the metal pellets do not reach other vital organs. He was reported in stable condition.

HokieEngineer said:
Had they not tried to cover this up and deadeye dick take responsibility, this story would be a nonstory.

However, the fact the ranch owner was told to tell the media about the incident, and then the "oh, well the guy shouldn't have been standing there" defense just goes along with everything else this administration does. Don't blame me, its someone else fault!

Where the heck IS cheney anyways? Apparently he had a meeting with some foreign visitors yesterday but skipped out when it was time for the press session. Is it so hard for these schmucks to say "I'm sorry"?

I'm pretty sure a simple "It was an accident, I didn't see him, I should have been more careful" statement would have worked a lot better than the typical stonewalling that we've all come to love.

it IS a non story, he was on his friends ranch hunting , an accident occured. they happen every day. WHY for gods sake does the worldwide press have to get involved?? they are not acting like press corps (who, why, what , when) they are like the papparatzi in princess diannas death.

GET OVER IT LIBERALS... bush and chaney are serving the term out....period.

and hillary and kerry wont ever be president. take that to the bank:devil:

The Tate said:
I did not know that the he did not know that he needed the stamp before I posted this. I found out today that they change the law right before he got his liscense. I was not in anyway trying to mislead anyone. :)

Now that thats said.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/bush_administration

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The 78-year-old lawyer wounded by Vice President Dick Cheney in a hunting accident suffered a mild heart attack Tuesday after a shotgun pellet in his chest traveled to his heart, hospital officials said. Harry Whittington was immediately moved back to the intensive care unit and will be watched for a week to make sure more of the metal pellets do not reach other vital organs. He was reported in stable condition.

I know but it just brings me to another point- dont believe the media, LOL, I really would search, even if you have articles in front of you, unfortunatley there is no such thing as neutral news, all its doing is swaying you one way or the other!

Something Good....

If one HAS to get shot, or destined to be shot, it's good to be shot by a vice president, or someone else high up the political ladder.......at least you would hope to get the best possible care available!

When you are in the public eye you have to expect anything you do, accident or not, to be of high importance to the press. I was a lowly unpaid city council member in a very, very small town for four years. I could not say or do anything without someone knowing about it and trying to make an issue about it, right down to being sick and missing a meeting!!! It's funny now, but not then.

Personally I think this administration is an embarassment. I hope we can do better next time.

As Rush said the other day (paraphrased) I'd much rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than for a ride in Ted Kennedy's car.

John Walsh- You seem to actually know something about the sport, its protocol and weapons of choice.

After listening to to many news reports all week and reading the transcript of Cheney's interview with Briy Hume, I still have several questions about the hunting facts as presented.

It was stated that "Harry" had walked away from them to the left of their line to hunt for a lost downed bird. Cheney and other partner walked about 100 yeards away I take this as they are 100 yards apart. Cheney begins to fire at a bird target.
Question, How high in the air does he let the bird fly up before firing?

Is it common quail hunting practice to fire parallel to the ground and do you think by the nature of Harry's wounds that Cheney fired parallel to the ground in his direction and not high into the air where the wounds would have been caused by falling shot, not propelled line of fire shot.

I assume that falling shot from the air is traveling at best terminal velocity as opposed to ballistics velocity. Terminal velocity, I don't think would be powerful enough to cause wounds as did this accident. What do you think?

Finally, the reports and Cheney's statement was they he thought Harry was 30 yards away, not 100 yards when shot. This means there is a conflict in the report unless Harry had begun walking back to the group before Cheney fired and also was down range. By the TV picture of the shot wounds on Harry's nech and upper left side, IT looks like a direct line of fire at closer range than 100 yards.

I have been wondering about this all week but it seems that if Cheney did fire line of sight toward Harry, he clearly didn't see him. Or, I have wondered if he fired in error as he was bringing up his shotgun in preparation to aim and fire- aka just an accidental discharge and poor Harry happened to be in that line of fire.

Thanks in advance for your experienced answers to my questions.

Pepper said:
As Rush said the other day (paraphrased) I'd much rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than for a ride in Ted Kennedy's car.

Somewhere I read a poll-

If you were in Combat and had a choice of whom would be there with you; who would that be?:

1. George W Bush
2. Bill Clinton
3. Dick Cheney
4. Ollie North
5. Ronald Reagan
6. John Kerry
7. Al Gore
8. GHWBush

State your reason based on the individual's track record.

OK, that is a good choice based on the assumption that he is an experienced warrior. However, an argument might be made that due to his expertise, you will be put in the hottest battles with the highest liklihood of being killed or wounded, while on the otherhand, being with a team led by John Kerry might land you in line to be sent home after you got a splinter in your finger while on a boat cruise up the river. Anyone who has experience real combat know that its not about how expert you are, its about how lucky you are when in that combat action. Sometimes it may just be best to put yourself into a position where your odds of taking the hit are less. I don't think being on a mission with North does that.

BTW- there is no correct answer, just alternatives and consequences to your decision. What was that game? SIM City?

Pick your combat squad leader--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)