Chicago HD Locals spot beam

guffy1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Traverse City, MI
Anyone have any clue what the footprint looks like for the Chicago HD locals spotbeam?..Or does anyone know in general how far Dish HD Local spot beams usually reach? Also, are the Chicago HD locals true HD or HDLite?

guffy1 said:
Anyone have any clue what the footprint looks like for the Chicago HD locals spotbeam?..Or does anyone know in general how far Dish HD Local spot beams usually reach? Also, are the Chicago HD locals true HD or HDLite?

Chicago HD locals are on a CONUS transponder (meaning they hit the entire US) coming from 129W. The ABC and FOX locals are transmitted in 720p, while NBC and CBS are 1440x1080i.

A conus beam? No kidding? For some reason I was under the impression that all DISH HD Locals were spot beamed...I guess I was mistaken..Am I to assume that all the HD locals on the 129 are conus beam then?

Hmmm....Very suprised to hear these Chicago locals are on conus...In the future are they likely to continue on conus? And are they likely to remain on the 129 bird?

Lyngsat list them as "beam"... I thought it would say conus if it was a US wide beam...Im confused I guess?

Tx for any additional info!

Most to all of the HD locals are in temporary locations. A few will probably stay CONUS on 129 or 61.5 for distants- presumably NY and LA, but Chicago would be in the "who knows" catagory.

Echo X is the HD Local bird. It was designed for it, and has tons of spotbeam capability. 110 will be where most HD locals wind up.

guffy1 said:
Lyngsat list them as "beam"... I thought it would say conus if it was a US wide beam...Im confused I guess?

Quite simply, whoever posted the info for Lyngsat was wrong. Echo5 has 32 CONUS transponders that are switchable to 16 high power 250watt transponders. It also has only 2 momentum wheels left operational of the 3 (has to have 2 to operate) and one of the remaining two has had issues in the past. Echo 5 (and 6) I believe are what were originally called Sky 1+2, and were designed to operate at 110 W.L., which is why they have the issue with footprint coverage on the east coast.

M Sparks said:
Most to all of the HD locals are in temporary locations. A few will probably stay CONUS on 129 or 61.5 for distants- presumably NY and LA, but Chicago would be in the "who knows" catagory.

Echo X is the HD Local bird. It was designed for it, and has tons of spotbeam capability. 110 will be where most HD locals wind up.

I would think chicago HD would be offered as a Local distants... as the sd version currently is right now. Also it would serve the central time zone :)

In what part of the country do people have the most trouble seeing that 129 bird?

Anyone with any clue how well I would see it in the Northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan (Not the UP)?

With all the bad weather here I cant afford to have a weak signal..

Tx for any help..

well only the northeast, florida and southern tip of texas is out of the print for 129 as dish network sees it. But the bird in general is kinda old and not sending a power as high as the others, thus its rare for people to see a signal above the 80s

So, how are those Chicago HD LIL channels looking to the people that have them? Are there problems related to the 129 when viewing Chicago HD LIL?...How is the overall PQ(lots of pixelated crap, or no)?, and whats the multicasting situation in Chicago?

Any comments appreciated! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)