Chicago HD Locals

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
With Chicago being DMA #3, does anyone know when can I expect HD locals? Will they be available in 8PSK or will they be MPEG4, requiring an upgrade from the 942?

The Hd locals should start rolling out sometime at the first of the year in what I would think will be MPEG4 which will require a 211/411/622 MPEG4 receiver. Just my opinion.

also keep in mind the current channels braudcasting in HDTV in the chicago land area is 2,5,7,9,11,32,50 (cbs,NBC,ABC,WGN,WTTW,WFLD,WPWR) and also WCIU, 26 is schedualed to go live with hd programming in spring some time after there current plant rebuild..

Goaliebob...

Since you seem to be an expert and are also in the Chicago area, maybe you can help me.

I've got a 942 on order (being installed on 12/26) and I'm going to have the installer install an ota antenna on the roof as well. I'm in Oak Park, 9 miles from the towers. I do have a lot of tall trees around. Can you recommend an antenna?

Thanks in advance.

swanrs said:
Since you seem to be an expert and are also in the Chicago area, maybe you can help me.
I've got a 942 on order (being installed on 12/26) and I'm going to have the installer install an ota antenna on the roof as well. I'm in Oak Park, 9 miles from the towers. I do have a lot of tall trees around. Can you recommend an antenna?
Thanks in advance.

You can try the Radioshack Model: VU-120 XR

Here

or the radioshack 190

Here

I know they are big antennas

But Trust me, you will have problems if you get an smaller antenna ;)

sence your that close try some rabbit ears.. :) they do wonders.. if not I would go to www.antennaweb.org and get the color code needed for your area (I would think yellow) and go from there.. A local bomb store (ratshack) should have a decent antena for your color scheem. You shouldnt have any problems picking up anything being that close :)

Thanks guys...

Antennaweb says everything is in RED. Says I need a medium sized directional antenna.

Still go with what you recommended? In this one case, I'd prefer smaller if possible...

Abt did my terrestrial antenna installation and they did a great job. They used a 6 ft Winegard...just fyi. I'm on the Chicago/Evanston border, and I had to get an inexpensive variable attenuator for the 942 (Ratshack--about $10) to get rid of some cross-modulation (either signal bouce off tall buildings/the lake or just some sensitivity in the 942 tuner...E* has recognized the latter). I still get a touchy CBS signal (strong at 74% but prone to hits), but don't know if its them or me.

Judging by this page (w ww.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/programming/locals/index.shtml) it looks like we may get the local WB and UPN affiliates after all, which would include WGN!

For some reason I couldn't post a real link even though I have more than 5 posts, so you'll have to fix the space to get it to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts