Chicago HD Spot Beam

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zero909

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I recently "moved" from Chicago to Detroit.

I am able to receive Chicago SD local channels (all of them) perfectly.

But the HD local channels are all "searching for signal".

Upon moving I had to adjust my dish to obtain the 99(c) satellite...

So my question is: If I am within the spot beam for SD's is it possible my dish is out of alignment causing me to not pick up the HD's on a different transponder?

Or if the spot beam more narrow on the HD channels than the SD?

And question 2 is: Does anyone know the precise satellite and transponder for the Chicago HD locals that I can check in the signal meter?

Thanks!

What's the difference between 103(c) and 103(s) ? I have one at 40% and one at 95%. I also have quite a few "0" transponders and N/A's. What's the difference between a 0 and a NA?

And does anyone know what transponder the Chicago HD locals are on?

C=CONUS (Continental US) beam. S=Spot beam. CONUS as the name covers all of the USA while spot beams only cover specific areas. MPEG4 hd spot beams have a much more smaller area that they cover. This allows for a much more precise spot beam on DirecTV's part to avoide "moves". The old SD spot beams covered a much larger area. You may just be out of luck due to this reason.

I don't have the slimline dish... it's the oval shaped one with 5 LNB's but they're split up into two separate groups, not all in a row like the slimline.

The transponder readings for 103(s) are:

(1-8) 37 95 0 0 52 0 NA NA
(9-16) NA NA NA NA NA NA 91 0
(17-24) 0 52 0 0 28 0 0 92
(25-32) NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

What do you think? Does this look more like I'm out of the spot beam or could it be possible to get back on the roof and fine tune it? If it's impossible I'd think I'd be adjusting it forever without hope.

What makes you say that? The NA's or the 0's? What's the difference?

I can certainly try to adjust again, but it would be great to know what I'm shooting for.

N/a Means they aren't active transponders. zero's mean they are active but your dish can't get a signal because you are too far away from the spotbeam. Thats my guess on why your channels don't come in. Try resetting if that doesn't work, then I bet thats your problem. what the reading on the 103 C?

250 miles from the center of the city.

I do get the SD locals perfectly however.

What do you think?

103(c) transponders with a signal are all around 90, however there are many NA's and (2) 0's.

103(c) transponders with a signal are all around 90, however there are many NA's and (2) 0's.
90's are good. 250 miles is really pushing it! I wouldn't be surpried if your out of the spotbeam. That would be like me in Eastern Pa trying to get Pittsburgh HD locals, Its not going to happen.

Ok I'll leave the ladder in the garage for now. If anyone else has any tips, please let me know!

The spotbeams you are seeing are Detroit, Flint/Saginaw, maybe G.R. or Cleveland.

You are too far for Chicago.

That's not what I wanted to hear, but if it's confirmed I know there would be nothing I could do. It's just too bad because I was really optimistic when I was able to receive the SD channels.

The SD's must be wider. I'm surprised there isn't a mile range or map available somewhere that shows it. I've seen it for Dish but not DTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)