CHICAGO METRO AREA VOOM

Seanb61 said:
in chcago report your install situtaion's please

windy in chi-town. signal failed for 15 min, now its back on and stronger than ever.....perhaps the bolts area little loose?

Local installer has been great to work with, although they have made 3 trips out her in 5 weeks.

OTA has been a little inconsistent. I am 40 miles outside of Chicago, and they upgraded me to the 8 ft. Yagi style Winegard antenna no charge. Local Fox and ABC are still "come and go", Some "extra" locals, such as WLS-2, and WGN-2 disappeared last week. All others are consistently on.

-k

chicago ota

I have had voom since jan 5, 2004 i have found on the very windy days the local otas go in and out, I don't know if its because the sears tower or john hancock are swaying in the wind or trees get in my reception line of sight. Overall the otas are great but like klen, 7-2 and 9-2 disappeared from view and channel 11 is multicasting but i am still only getting 11-1. Alson channel 26, WCIU which is broadcasting digitally on 27 is not in my mapped channels. I e-mailed sean mota and wilt and they are hopefully getting these mapping issues resolved

Scott
chicago voomer

slyscooter said:
I have had voom since jan 5, 2004 i have found on the very windy days the local otas go in and out, I don't know if its because the sears tower or john hancock are swaying in the wind or trees get in my reception line of sight. Overall the otas are great but like klen, 7-2 and 9-2 disappeared from view and channel 11 is multicasting but i am still only getting 11-1. Alson channel 26, WCIU which is broadcasting digitally on 27 is not in my mapped channels. I e-mailed sean mota and wilt and they are hopefully getting these mapping issues resolved

Scott
chicago voomer

Scott, I think it's the receiver causing yout 7-2 and 9-2 problems. I also have a problem on my D* STB but no problems with my Sony. Also, WCIU does a nasty thing, they use PSIP to remap 26's ATSC station to channels 1-1 and 1-2, in viloation of the PSIP rules. Dish 811 receivers can't get them also since they use channel 1 to control the back video/audio inputs.

I'm getting Voom installed on 3/10/04 with Adant. Will they install extra lines if I ask them? I have a one room install and would like them to install an extra line in the family room so It will be ready for me new tv coming soon.

omard. said:
I'm getting Voom installed on 3/10/04 with Adant. Will they install extra lines if I ask them? I have a one room install and would like them to install an extra line in the family room so It will be ready for me new tv coming soon.

Not sure if they will do this for you. I would give them a call and talk to Len about this. He seems to be the guy running things around there and may be able to give you advise on this. On my install they ran two lines for two boxes but they forgot the second box.....they are coming back today to install the box. They seem to be very nice at adant.....I am sure they will run the second line for you, its just that you may have to pay for that because you are only having one box installed at this point....

omard. said:
So did go with the diplexer? how is that working out?

they used a diplexor of some sort and its is working just fine. No problems.

Adant installed here on saturday, and they were very cooperative. I live in a condo, so we just hooked up my silver sensor, and I get everything but 2. I live in Aurora, and have great pictures on every channel (except 2 of course.) So far, I am happy with everything, besides not having a PVR for it yet.

Chicago - - second box causing problems?

Well I had my install on Saturday, all went well here in Chicago.
Except they forgot my second box. I was told by the installer that
they would come back on Sunday with it. Well a whole day of waiting
around and they were a no show. So on Monday I called the company
Adant wireless to see what was up. Was told they would come on
Monday. When they showed up he had the box but no wire's, no remote,
no OTA module. I told them to come back when they had everything.
Last night after waiting until 8 pm they showed up. (was told they
would be there around 4:30) Installed the second box took a long time
to get it activated. All seemed well, UNTIL i realized that now i
was having problems getting one of my OTA channels CBS in Chicago
(WBBM) this is a sticky subject as it is a tough signal to pull in,
in most cases. But prior to having the second box installed i had no
issue's and good signal strength, now i can't even get the channel
and signal strength has dropped below 20. Anyhow they used diplexers
on my install after insisting that the problem with them has been
resolved. Also they used the amped antenna even though i am only
about 4 miles away form the towers. Anyhow very disappointed in the
loss of this channel, and i am thinking that i will send the second
box back if that is what is causing the problem. I didn't want them
to use diplexers because of the known issue's with them, but they
insisted and wouldn't run 4 lines for me. So now i am stuck, what to
do, any advise? Also i am very upset that i had to waste my day on
Sunday waiting for a no show, on Monday night and on Tuesday waiting
forever. This sucks.

My Install is on monday the 15th

I live 50 miles from Chicago and I am having my Voom installed on Monday. I already have a Channel master antenna and I get every digital channel except 2. I want CBS. So they are supposed to bring a high power antenna that is supposed to reach 60-80 miles. So I will try to get WBBM and if not then I will have him try Milwaukee as I am half way between chicago & milwaukee.

bill

Videofx said:
I live 50 miles from Chicago and I am having my Voom installed on Monday. I already have a Channel master antenna and I get every digital channel except 2. I want CBS. So they are supposed to bring a high power antenna that is supposed to reach 60-80 miles. So I will try to get WBBM and if not then I will have him try Milwaukee as I am half way between chicago & milwaukee.

bill

If that doesn't work you might want to check with Comcast to see if they offer HD on your system. You can subscribe to the basic package and get HDTV STB for $5/month. You might also have a problem with Milwaukee since they use PSIP to remap to channel 1, like WCIU-DT does in Chicago. I think I remember someone else with Voom in Chicago that said they couldn't get WCIU-DT, but I may be wrong about that.

Videofx said:

bill

Bill,

Where are you. I'm near 41 & Wadsworth & can get CH 2 ota pretty well with my 151 OTA Box, 6000, & 811. I still can't get ch 58 DT when I turn the antenna north. Everything else from Brewtown comes in pretty well.

Prolem solved well, almost

I just spent the last hour on the phone with Adant Wireless (the Chicago installer) Very helpful and willing to listen to help solve my issue with CBS 2 wbbm.

I spent time today trying to isolate the issue. Being that I was getting wbbm with no problems while I only had one voom box. So I disconnected the second sat line into the box and boom, there is cbs 2!

After speaking with Adant's owner and explaining the issue we conferenced in with installs inc, to discuss. Well as Adant suspected it seems that having both boxes connected to antenna is causing "over powering". I told them that I was able to get channel 2 wbbm via a pair of rabbit ears, which I hooked up last night, with no issues.

All in all I am glad that we have been able to isolate the issue. Adant will be coming back, again, tomorrow afternoon when I get home. They will install a non-power passing Diplexer in hopes that this will solve it. If not they will replace the amplified board in the stealth with the non-amped board and we will cross our fingers.

My only concern is that if we remove the power to the antenna how this will affect my other locals, nbc, abc, and fox.

Any thoughts?

I am Close

Sparkman said:
Bill,

Where are you. I'm near 41 & Wadsworth & can get CH 2 ota pretty well with my 151 OTA Box, 6000, & 811. I still can't get ch 58 DT when I turn the antenna north. Everything else from Brewtown comes in pretty well.

I am near the corner of Lewis & Yorkhouse. I get a very weak and barely visable analog signal on my 6000 and no digital signal on 2 at all.

Maybe the guys who install my Voom can do better since they are bringing a better antenna

Bill

Install for Monday is looking GREAT!

Spoke with my installers today. The owner of their company was one of the first Voom installs. They have since done many. So I am feeling good so far. Then they told me they have everything they need for my install. I asked them about the 60 mile OTA antenna Voom told me they would bring. They knew nothing about this only the stealth. So I call Voom. Voom CSR sent an email to installs.com and then I called back my installer 15 min later and he then had authorization to bring the bigger OTA antenna!!. So far an exceptional experience!

I will let everyone know how the actual install goes on Monday.

Bill :yes

Videofx said:
Spoke with my installers today. The owner of their company was one of the first Voom installs. They have since done many. So I am feeling good so far. Then they told me they have everything they need for my install. I asked them about the 60 mile OTA antenna Voom told me they would bring. They knew nothing about this only the stealth. So I call Voom. Voom CSR sent an email to installs.com and then I called back my installer 15 min later and he then had authorization to bring the bigger OTA antenna!!. So far an exceptional experience!

I will let everyone know how the actual install goes on Monday.

Bill :yes

Adant has been very good to me conseidering all the problems that we have had. Just make sure that everything is working before you let them leave, Check your signal power, they will probably tell you that 30-40 is as high as it will go. This is not true....make them tune it in properly as chicago wind will cause problems. keep in touch with them if you have any concerns

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts