Chicago to tax Sat. TV service

FredC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chicago, IL
Our mayor, King Richard Daley, wants to charge an "entertainment tax" to all sat services. Cable is already charged this tax. Doesn"t federal law state you cannot tax over the air signals?

First booze, gambling & cigarettes..then fast food..now sat tv. I guess you better find a new 'vice'. ;-)

Our mayor, King Richard Daley, wants to charge an "entertainment tax" to all sat services. Cable is already charged this tax. Doesn"t federal law state you cannot tax over the air signals?

Sorry...satellite is pay TV, not over the air. Over the air implies free.

NY is lucky enough to have no sat tax. However, I don't disagree with charging as much for sat as for cable. As long as it's not more.

Daley is bankrupting our city building parks for tourists and suburbanites who...well...don't pay taxes. :)

He's taxing anything he can to recoup his losses...

Sorry...satellite is pay TV, not over the air. Over the air implies free.

NY is lucky enough to have no sat tax. However, I don't disagree with charging as much for sat as for cable. As long as it's not more.

Why do you think sat should be charged a tax just because cable does. There is a reason cable is charged. They use public right of ways to deliver there service.

Why do you think sat should be charged a tax just because cable does. There is a reason cable is charged. They use public right of ways to deliver there service.

And the ususally have to pay a franchise fee to the city and throw in other goodies like public access channels.

I agree...

I don't understand how a dish I put on my roof (and i'm already paying property taxes at that) can be legitimately taxed. Knowing little caesar (daley) he considers it a form of free advertising for the provider and therefore feel it can be taxed accordingly...if thats the case...than I say tax the provider! lol....

True...I guess living in NYS I'm just used to being taxed on everything and anything. Which is funny that satellite isn't. Not that I want it to be. ;)

already paying property

already paying property taxes at that) can be legitimately taxed. Knowing little caesar (daley) he considers it a form of free advertising for the provider and therefore feel it can be taxed accordingly...if thats the case...than I say tax the provider

Join the club! In Connecticut, not only have we been paying 6% sales tax, but we also get stuck with 'Reimbursement of CT Gross Earnings Tax', which for me adds another $3.29 to my bill!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts