Choppy video when recording on 722

commodore_dude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Alpharetta, GA
All,
I've had a few intermittent issues with choppy video on a couple of recordings recently, but since both were from live sports being broadcast from halfway around the world I was willing to put it down to transmission issues. However, I have also recently begun to notice some choppy video on recorded HD movies, and last night I think I ran across a scenario that outlines it very well:

-Tuner 1 started recording an HD show at 9:00, watching live while recording
-Tuner 2 started recording an SD show at 9:30, video becomes intermittently choppy on Tuner 1
-Tuner 2 stops recording at 10:30, video becomes smooth again on Tuner 1

I didn't see any other threads about this with a quick search so I don't know if anyone else has encountered it. So far I've been very impressed with the performance of this DVR, it doesn't lag when scrolling through the guide like my HR-21 with DirecTV or the Motorola I had with Comcast, but neither of them EVER gave me any issues with choppy video just because I was recording 2 channels! Do I have a bad DVR here?

All,
I've had a few intermittent issues with choppy video on a couple of recordings recently, but since both were from live sports being broadcast from halfway around the world I was willing to put it down to transmission issues. However, I have also recently begun to notice some choppy video on recorded HD movies, and last night I think I ran across a scenario that outlines it very well:

-Tuner 2 started recording an SD show at 9:30, video becomes intermittently choppy on Tuner 1

I didn't see any other threads about this with a quick search so I don't know if anyone else has encountered it. So far I've been very impressed with the performance of this DVR, it doesn't lag when scrolling through the guide like my HR-21 with DirecTV or the Motorola I had with Comcast, but neither of them EVER gave me any issues with choppy video just because I was recording 2 channels! Do I have a bad DVR here?

I've noticed this lately as well on my 722. It usually only lasts a few seconds, but it happens quite a bit.

Sometimes it gets really bad where it drops frames like crazy and everything becomes choppy. Only a reboot will fix it.

All,

How's your signal meter read?

Pretty bad for 129, anywhere from the 30s to low 50s (I have read that this isn't THAT bad, but what the heck is the point of a 0-100 scale if that's not bad?). I haven't had any serious signal loss issues though, I have had several recordings where a message will pop up about part of the recording being lost, but I haven't seen it watching live TV.

That's bad signal and most likely your problem!

But I'm not having any problems if all I'm doing is watching live TV, it just exposes itself if I'm watching something while there's a recording going on, or watching some recorded movies, which makes me think it's a performance issue where the 722 just can't handle all that stuff at once.

But I'm not having any problems if all I'm doing is watching live TV, it just exposes itself if I'm watching something while there's a recording going on, or watching some recorded movies, which makes me think it's a performance issue where the 722 just can't handle all that stuff at once.

Fix the signal and you'll likely fix your 722. I know of, and have helped, many people who use all three tuners and are constantly recording without issue. The difference is this...they have 80's on 129.