"choppy" ViP 222

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wii_dont_care

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville, OH
I've noticed on certain HD programming, the picture on TV1 "hiccups" about every 20 seconds. The audio stays intact, it only effects the video.

TV1 is an old 16x9 1080i, running through component cables.

Anyone else had this problem? :confused:

Not sure if this is a E* problem, a problem with my setup, or TV.

I do not have this problem on my ViP211, although it is a new lcd running off HDMI.

Well, do you mean that the video will disappear for a few seconds then reappear or that the video will flash on and off several times while audio is OK? Then yes, I have the same problem. I posted this problem months ago and nothing has been done about it by Dish. I have the problem via HDMI and haven't noticed it via S-Video.

I find this flashing video occurs only after I invoke a lot of commands: pressing "guide" button, "info" button. Then "clear." Then . . . the whole host of buttons one pushes when first sitting down to watch TV to see what is on.

Sometimes it will stop flashing video after several minutes, then settle down to constant video, so long as it is left alone. Sometimes it won't stop flashing video and it requires a reboot. If after the reboot, it is left alone (no commands--buttons pushed for access) it will have a steady video, but try to push buttons and it gets all upset at me and flashes video again.

Then at other times, I can access the box with the remote with a ton of commands and the unit will behave as it should: constant video.

This is a big PAIN, and Dish needs to fix this. I don't want to have to RMA the box, but if I must, I will. I have no clear idea as to when Dish plans to make the ViP 222 DVR capable. I know they said the 211 would be made DVR capable by this summer.

I hope Dish fixes this.

I've noticed on certain HD programming, the picture on TV1 "hiccups" about every 20 seconds. The audio stays intact, it only effects the video.

I do not have this problem on my ViP211, although it is a new lcd running off HDMI.

I noticed this tonight on the National Geographic Channel. Audio is fine, but the picture would "block pixulate" for a second or so.
I have been watching Sci-Fi, and it is not happening there.
I am not using HDMI, I am going composite.

Last edited:

Yes this has been a trait of the 222. I had one since Sept 07. There have been numerous problems, some small, some more annoying. Over all I had a running e-mail dialog with dish technical and software department for the last several months. They were very good about responding to my e-mails and kept me up to date with the fixes. There had been complete video freezes, and total system lock ups that were finally fixed on mine with software version L305. I brought up a quirk with the timers on tuner 1 and 2 not being separate, and that was fixed with L306 a couple of weeks ago. I was going to keep the 222 and wait for the EHD but when I did the math, it was cheaper to go to a 722 now than to wait, not knowing how many other bugs that might come along with that feature. So far the 722 is working nicely and does not exhibit the slight video jerks on HD channels that the 222 did. I liked the 222 a lot but the 722 is better, and gets its fixes sooner than most other models IMO as it has a high priority.

Yes this has been a trait of the 222. I had one since Sept 07. There have been numerous problems, some small, some more annoying. Over all I had a running e-mail dialog with dish technical and software department for the last several months. They were very good about responding to my e-mails and kept me up to date with the fixes. There had been complete video freezes, and total system lock ups that were finally fixed on mine with software version L305. I brought up a quirk with the timers on tuner 1 and 2 not being separate, and that was fixed with L306 a couple of weeks ago. I was going to keep the 222 and wait for the EHD but when I did the math, it was cheaper to go to a 722 now than to wait, not knowing how many other bugs that might come along with that feature. So far the 722 is working nicely and does not exhibit the slight video jerks on HD channels that the 222 did. I liked the 222 a lot but the 722 is better, and gets its fixes sooner than most other models IMO as it has a high priority.

Thank you so very much for working on our behalf regarding the 222 bugs. It is greatly appreciated. I too have the stupid setting a timer for TV2 only to have the STB set it for TV1. That was a pain. I still have L305, and I can hardly wait for L306 to download to my 222 so the timers can be fixed.

Thanks again for working with the Dish techs on this.l

Thank you so very much for working on our behalf regarding the 222 bugs. It is greatly appreciated. I too have the stupid setting a timer for TV2 only to have the STB set it for TV1. That was a pain. I still have L305, and I can hardly wait for L306 to download to my 222 so the timers can be fixed.

Thanks again for working with the Dish techs on this.l

Your welcome, and it shouldn't be too long for L306. I wasn't sure at the time if they were rolling it out in stages, but evidently they are. Good luck with yours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)