Ciel 129W Footprints

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Have completed the satellite footprint set. There are are large number - close to 60 separate footprints and am trying to figure out which would be of most interest for posting .

In honor of Ciel Satellite and Canada; I've started with the wide area Canada footprint, the Alaska/Canada spot footprint and the US Conus footprint.

Please note the appearance of the Alaska/Canada spot footprint. Makes one wonder if the Canadians have a neat sense of humor

Attachments

• Ciel 129W Alaska Canada Spot.jpg
    Ciel 129W Alaska Canada Spot.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,629
  • cIEL 129W Canada.jpg
    cIEL 129W Canada.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,939
  • Ciel 129W Conus.jpg
    Ciel 129W Conus.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 14,555
Since The Canadian and CONUS beams operate off the same TP frequencies, I presume they cannot be used at the same time? I wonder if the Canadian beam will ever see use (and if it does, Dish is in trouble)

Thanks for the maps, Nelson61 - I know that's a lot of work. Could you post the strength contour legend again, also, or a link to it somewhere else?

As to the Alaska spots, I thought I was at a famous "wings" restaurant!

Brad

Thanks for the maps, Nelson61 - I know that's a lot of work. Could you post the strength contour legend again, also, or a link to it somewhere else?

As to the Alaska spots, I thought I was at a famous "wings" restaurant!

Brad

Each footprint has unique EIRP's

From Highest Power to Lowest ( In to Out)

Canada: 54,52,50,48,46,41,36,26

Conus: 60, 58 56,54,52,47,42,32

Alaska/Canada Spot: 55,53,51,47,38,27

Have completed the satellite footprint set. There are are large number - close to 60 separate footprints and am trying to figure out which would be of most interest for posting .

In honor of Ciel Satellite and Canada; I've started with the wide area Canada footprint, the Alaska/Canada spot footprint and the US Conus footprint.

Please note the appearance of the Alaska/Canada spot footprint. Makes one wonder if the Canadians have a neat sense of humor

Nelson61, you are the Map King! Thank you once again.

I laughed out loud at the AK/Can map. :) I am from Canada, and they do have a unique sense of humor up there.

I'm waiting with great anticipation for the Hawaii spot footprint. I may have read somewhere that it will be number 55.

Mahalo

Ciel 2 129W Hawaii Footprint

You asked - Here it is with an EIRP level that only requires standard 20" dish.

Attachments

• Ciel 2 129W Hawaii Spot.jpg
    Ciel 2 129W Hawaii Spot.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 814
You asked - Here it is with an EIRP level that only requires standard 20" dish.

WOW! Incredible. Thank you. Great news for Hawaii. :cool:

I even have a spare 20" to point at it. The only remaining question is to see if e* will put all the HD content on that spot, or just expand our current HD 10-pak a bit.

I'll be eagerly watching the launch in late November.

WOW again. I'm looking forward to complaining about only having ten times more HD channels than I have now. :)

Looks like Russia will be able to pick up a signal on the Alaska beam... better not put any spy content on that beam, lol...

[

WOW again. I'm looking forward to complaining about only having ten times more HD channels than I have now. :)[/QUOTE]

Just being a spot I would expect more HD, but not that much more. Don't worry, they'll still charge us as if we were getting 100 channels. :D

Seeing how Charlie has treated Alaskans (and Hawai'ians) in the past, I wouldn't expect much new HD for the last two states. For 5 1/2 months now, there have been two uplinked HD channels at 110W that Charlie refuses to turn on (Sci-Fi & USA). Why would he start giving us the same stuff as he gives the subs in the CONUS?

Seeing how Charlie has treated Alaskans (and Hawai'ians) in the past, I wouldn't expect much new HD for the last two states. For 5 1/2 months now, there have been two uplinked HD channels at 110W that Charlie refuses to turn on (Sci-Fi & USA). Why would he start giving us the same stuff as he gives the subs in the CONUS?

I agree. Not getting to excited until it happens or Charlie talks about new HD channels coming 'soon' for Alaska/Hawaii/PR.

Ciel 2 129W Contiguous States Spot Footprints

A total display of all the spots and all the iso-dBW's literally covers the 48 states in solid ink so I did a little editing to reduce the data display and distributed them over three thumbnails to help illustrate what may be coming.

The set of three (3) thumbnails attached include all dBW footprint values above 50 dBW. That should cover all standard diameter antennas.

The detailed spot footprints show the larger reception area covered with larger antennas (see Alaska and Hawaii in earlier post for examples).

Attachments

• Ciel 2 129W Spotbeams Number 1.jpg
    Ciel 2 129W Spotbeams Number 1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 803
  • Ciel 2 129W Spotbeams Number 2.jpg
    Ciel 2 129W Spotbeams Number 2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 756
  • Ciel 2 129W Spotbeams Number 3.jpg
    Ciel 2 129W Spotbeams Number 3.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 658
A total display of all the spots and all the iso-dBW's literally covers the 48 states in solid ink so I did a little editing to reduce the data display and distributed them over three thumbnails to help illustrate what may be coming....
Looking at Texas.... these spot beam footprints seem to confirm that the locals for large DMAs (e.g. Dallas, Houston) will probably be available on both the EA and WA Sats. But locals (particularly HD locals) for smaller DMAs (e.g. Austin, San Antonio) will likely be only available on either the EA or WA Sats.

IOW the further east you look the spot beams of Ciel 129W appear to cover mainly large DMAs which may warrant coverage on both EA and WA for LOS issues. Texas just happens to be around that break over.

Talon Dancer

Ciel 2 120W Conus - Mexico Footprint

Looks like a good portion of Mexico will be able to HD from 129W with an affordable antenna .

Red= 42 dBW
Brown = 32 dBW

Attachments

• Ciel 129W Conus Mexico.jpg
    Ciel 129W Conus Mexico.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 791
Since The Canadian and CONUS beams operate off the same TP frequencies, I presume they cannot be used at the same time? I wonder if the Canadian beam will ever see use (and if it does, Dish is in trouble)

As long as the beams to not overlap they can re-use TP frequencies.

The re-use of TP frequencies is how spot beams work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)