Ciel-2 Now Scheduled for November?

From Spaceflight Now (updated August 4,emphasis mine):

"An International Launch Services Proton rocket with a Breeze M upper stage will deploy the Inmarsat 4-F3 mobile communications spacecraft. This is the third of three next-generation satellites in the Inmarsat 4-series. The launch will mark the return-to-flight for ILS and the Proton/Breeze M following the March failure. Delayed from Aug. 13 to replace and retest the flight computer on the Breeze M upper stage. "

Sounds like we may be slipping into December with Ciel 2. :(

Brad

ILS says they will only lose a few days.
International Launch Services

129 keeps getting worse and worse... I sure hope this sat gets to orbit without a hitch!

Both of us. I've given up with the loss of signal wobble problem and am trying to patiently wait for the launch. My new 722 sits on a shelf waiting for activation with a stable signal.

129 keeps getting worse and worse...

That's a myth based on a larger number of people getting HD TV and so more reports of the same old problem.

I have the same signal strength on 129 as a year ago.

Of course, the new satellite will be a big improvement... but things are not getting worse (other than the fact that the satellite will run out of fuel shortly after it is replaced).

That's a myth based on a larger number of people getting HD TV and so more reports of the same old problem.

I have the same signal strength on 129 as a year ago.

Of course, the new satellite will be a big improvement... but things are not getting worse (other than the fact that the satellite will run out of fuel shortly after it is replaced).

Agreed. 129 is no worse now than it was a year ago as far signal strength. It did however, use another year of it's fuel supply.

Last edited:
Dish HD service to the North Western states is just suffering now. 129 does not really point there very well and it is hard to see 61.5. Until Ceil2 goes up, there are going to be reception problems. In the south central area where I am, 129 is rock solid, I know it does not do the NW any good, but nothing will be done about it until Ceil2 launches.

"The Russian State Commission meeting will be held today (14 August) to verify the launch readiness of the Proton Breeze M with the Inmarsat 4F-3 spacecraft. This step is required before rollout and installation of the Proton launcher on the launch pad tomorrow"

GO PROTON

Given one sat (Nimiq 4) before Ciel-2, and a 6-7 week turnaround, the end of November looks possible. FYI launch will be Aug 18th at 6:43 EDT for us in the States. Hope there are no issues.

Given one sat (Nimiq 4) before Ciel-2, and a 6-7 week turnaround, the end of November looks possible. FYI launch will be Aug 18th at 6:43 EDT for us in the States. Hope there are no issues.

"That’s right the Integrated Launch Vehicle (launch vehicle and spacecraft mated) has been rolled out to Pad 39 in preparation for the launch on Monday evening EDT. Don’t forget to watch the webcast at 18:43 EDT, 22:43 GMT, 23:43 London Time and 04:43 Tuesday Baikonur Time. Live coverage starts 23 minutes before launch time, i.e. 18:20 EDT. "

Inmarsat-4 F3

Better them than Ciel 2 for the first new launch.

Better them than Ciel 2 for the first new launch.

Actually, I'd almost prefer to be this launch. I believe a big part of the issue with AMC 14 was quality control. No doubt inspections have been ramped up for the return to flight. After this one and Nimiq-4, things might get lax again.

Actually, I'd almost prefer to be this launch. I believe a big part of the issue with AMC 14 was quality control. No doubt inspections have been ramped up for the return to flight. After this one and Nimiq-4, things might get lax again.

Now I will be having nightmares.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)