Cinema Connection Kit Internet Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi Bob,
This certainly can't hurt. Im at work now, but when I get home I will attempt the following and get back to you. On a related not the SMC gateway is model number SMCD3GNV. It should be a brand new device as I was told it was just brought to the market within the last 6 months. I really wanted to say thank you all for your help. The only problem that I may see with this solution set up is that my Deca is built into the HR24s is it not?

Matt,
OK. Found your manual under Comcast xfinity series. Your receivers should show up under their Connected Devices>Computers. You should see the DVRs listed as HR24... , each with a separate IP address and separate MAC address.

Please forget my DECA comment. I really meant Cinema Connection Kit. (The hardwired Cinema Connection Kit is a special DECA with only the one coax connector that connects your internet to the D* network on the coax. Your wireless model does the same thing, just without the wires. They are special DECAs not to be confused with what is in your receiver.)

Sorry for the confusion,
Bob

Hi Bob,
OK I am able to view all 4 of my devices on my network all with seperate Ip addresses using my SMC connected devices. However I still cannot connect to the internet? Any ideas buddy?

Matt,
Well, at least I see why tech support was confused. So, how do you know that your internet is not working? For example, with everything connected and you enter 1242 on your remote for USA On Demand, what do you see? Nothing? Or the USA On Demand page? You should be working and see the USA On Demand page. I know Comcast is the most aggressive in trying to throttle down the DirecTV and Dish packets. But, I can't believe that they are actually blocking them.

May want to try to restore defaults and then connect now in network menu. The result code should be 88-xxx.

I also have the same SMCD3GNV modem/router from Comcast and cannot connect to the internet via the CCK. After scouring the 'Net and spending hours on the phone with Comcast and Directv, it appears that the SMCD3GNV is somehow blocking access to the internet for the CCK. Apparently, the only inexpensive solution seems to be this: purchase a separate wireless router on my own, call Comcast and ask them (nicely) to put the SMCD3GNV in 'bridge' mode so it acts as a modem only, then run the Directv CCK off the new wireless router. If anyone discovers a better way, please share!! :)

Matt,
Based on comfortably_numb's post it looks like Comcast has cleverly made it a tad difficult to make the CCK work with their modem. In looking over some documentation it appears that this modem/router is using a Class A IP series versus the typical Class C used by all "normal" home networks. The login address to your router, for example, is 10.0.0.1. (It is still "safe" since addresses 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 are considered in the reserved private block.) See here. Comcast also has some rather restrictive port screening on this router.

Which makes me wonder what their other IP addressing looks like. What were the IP addresses and SubNet masks you saw for the HR DVRs? That might provide a clue to the problem. If they are getting Class C addressing that would not work. Hopefully someone with some advance network knowledge will add to this thread.
Bob

Hi all yep it appears that I'm getting class C IP addresses on my HR24s. 10.0.0.2 or .5 for example I'll check in a bit about the subnet address when I go downstairs. Anyone have any ideas?

Let me ask this can I run a patch cord to the cck and hardware it to the gateway? Then connect to the hr24 via rg6? Would this affect my whole home?

Matt,

What would be interesting to test would be setting one of your DVRs to manual and entering the following on your Advanced Setup Screen.
IP Address: 10.0.0.25 (Just to make sure this is different than before)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Defualt Gateway: 10.0.0.1
DNS: 10.0.0.1

If this does not work then there is a port setting that is being blocked and it would take someone very technical at DirecTV to know what ports they are using for their communication.

And to answer your last question; no, it would not help to connect things with a wire. Your wireless connection is working perfectly. What is hurting you is getting connectivity. That would be the same issue wired or wireless.

I knew Comcast was really upset that D* and Dish were using Comcast networks for VOD. But, I had no idea they would move to these tactics to slow things down. The folks at D* will learn how to circumvent these restrictions. I suspect their front-line technical folks are not aware of these issues.

Comfortably_numb's solution may be the only short-term solution available.
Bob

Hey Bob,
Tested manually inputting the ip address and DNA etc as suggested and as till nothing. On an upside directv contract era were just out at my house and were able to get things working with a broadband only cck and not wireless downside is they need to come back out with a 16 way splitter, new LNB and an 8 way inside to utilize space for the new CCK. They are returning again on Saturday. Thanks for everyone's help and hopefully this can be a learning tool for everyone

I thought I'd share an update to help anyone else who is having this problem as well. This morning, I went out to Micro Center and bought a wireless router for $15 bucks. I then called Comcast, asked them to bridge my SMC unit, which they did, then I installed the new router, configured the CCK, and it found the internet connection with no issues. So I can confirm that it is indeed the SMC causing the issues, and the temporary work-around is to install another wireless router behind it. Maybe in the future we will discover what ports need to be un-blocked. The only drawback now is that I have 3 routers sitting side-by-side, which is kind of unsightly. But oh well!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)