Cinema Connection Kit Not Connecting to 'hidden' wireless network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

leo2xz

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Tennessee
Having an issue with the Cinema Connection Kit (DCAW1R0-01) not connecting to the internet on my network. A little background on this issue: With the SSID name broadcast enabled on the router (netgear) the CCK was connected to the internet normally and successfully using the WPS buttons on the router and the CCK. The WLAN light (and other 3 lights) were lit on the CCK. Everything ok. When the SSID broadcast was disabled on the router (after the successful install of the CCK on the network) the WLAN light is now not lit up and the CCK is not connected to the internet.

1. Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this newer CCK?
2. Is there a Pin number on this CCK device that I can use to add it as a 'client' on my network using the netgear user settings?

Going into Menu on the HR34 using the remote and Setup, I find the IP address and subnet mask info is all filled in ok. Going to System Info & Test, under info there is a yellow ! beside STB Services Port: N/A (205) message there and another yellow ! is beside Internet: Not Connected.

An earlier version of the CCK, the DCCK has a manual on the web that I found and it had a way for users of hidden wireless network name (SSID) networks to manually enter the SSID and the security key, etc as one might do on other devices. (For example iPads as I have done.)

Hopefully I have supplied enough info here for someone to assist. Thanks!

What is your reasoning for using a hidden SSID?

Just speaking in general here... some people believe a hidden SSID offers some sort of security. It offers no security at all. The same goes for using the MAC address authorization options. Your "hidden" SSID name is broadcasted out all the time when data is sent. Firing up Kismet will show your SSID to anyone along with any of the MAC IDs sending/receiving data. Enable WPA2 AES (not TKIP) and put in a nice long password that is not in the dictionary and you'll have some very solid security without having to fool with MAC IDs or issues with hidden SSIDs.

The OP has posted his question on 3 forums and is not responding to any of them. His reason for having the hidden SSID is that he is in some sort of commercial environment that requires the SSID to be hidden. Obviously he has control of the situation since he was able to do the WPS setup with the SSID visible. He is convinced that there are two wireless CCKs out there and the link to the manual given above is not good. He apparently reached this conclusion because he cannot get the "hidden SSID" prompt to work. On another forum I suggested that he reset the CCK and start over. And, as I said before, he has not responded. I consider this a dead thread.

Thanks for the input on this thread. I never did intend for this post to become a discussion on 'wireless security issues'. Of course the wireless signal is still out there whether the network name is broadcasted or not. I never heard of Kismet. What's the old saying, 'Locks are to keep honest people honest'.? We still lock doors when a bldg. is unoccupied.

Thanks Straybeat for the link, but that again is for a DCCK device and the onscreen windows and instructions are diffferent for the HR34 with the newer CCK device.

I was able to manually go through the input of the network name and security key on the HR34 that 'connected' the CCK to the network. It was a trial and error process that was not detailed anywhere in the Dtv manual that I could find. Should another poster need to do the same thing I can try to point to a direction to follow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)