Circuit City abandons HD DVD, clearances all players?

My Circuit City has the clearance

They have no boxes of A20, one A3 and 3 A30's. Make that two A30's. One sits in my living room.

I have the A1 so I'm willing to spend $149 to keep my existing HD-DVDs playing a while longer -- and at 1080p.

I see on the tags they're offering 5-year warrantees. Has anyone asked what happens if there are no more HD-DVD players in 5 years? Will they give you a Blu-Ray player? (This is not a troll, I support HD-DVD, I really want to know.)

Amazon still cheaper

I see that, after tax, Amazon.com is stilling the A30 for less than I just paid at the Circuit City clearance. Oh well. It's only a few dollars different so I'll throw Circuit City a bone. They certainly need one.

Here we go again. Pro Blu Ray sites are reporting as fact something that has not been confirmed! One site stating it as a fact quotes a manager from one store that they are in fact discontinuing HD DVD. Well, there you have it. If one person in the US says it is true, even though nobody has asked CC corporate, then it must be true! Yet a post in another forum from a CC manager states it is complete misinformation and that they are just clearing out the versions that have 300 in them to make room for the newer version with just Paramount DVD's in them. Make sense to me. Why pay a company that stabs you in the back for an HD DVD when you can include a HD DVD from a loyal partner. I have never seen such a bunch of sore "winners" in my life. They are so afraid that HD DVD may have a little chance of fighting back that they will grasp on any little bit of rumor and spread it all around as fact to try to scare people away from HD DVD. If I did not already have an A30, I would be picking a Toshiba right away from CC. For those prices, even if the rumor turns out to be true, and I find it hard to believe that it is. It would still be a killer deal for a great upconverter that plays the hundreds of HD DVD's that are currently available. It would hold me for a couple of years until I could get a Blu Ray player that did everything a A30 when they do come out and drop in price to a reasonable price. Come to think of it, I need to call my brother to see if he can pick one up for himself....

No clearance tags or sale prices at my local CC. Big display up front with the normal promotions.

The thought of getting rid of the Warner stuff makes some sense.

No clearance tags or sale prices at my local CC. Big display up front with the normal promotions.

Yeah, it makes good sense. And Toshiba might be offering CC a deal to clear out machines with the warner product included.

A lot of people are saying they have to have the salesperson look it up in the system.

S~

The A2 has been "clearance" for awhile. CCity.com has had it as an "outlet" item for awhile. No big news here.

Its last gen.

My walmart has gen ones sitting next to gen two's, but NO gen three's.

The A2 has been "clearance" for awhile. CCity.com has had it as an "outlet" item for awhile. No big news here.

Its last gen.

My walmart has gen ones sitting next to gen two's, but NO gen three's.

There hasn't been an A2 in Austin since November. :eek:

actually I think that's an indication CC is close to shutting down like CompUSA.. they've had losses for quite a few quarters.. I don't expect to see them around within a chrismas or two..

The CC flyer in Sunday's paper today had the A30 for $399 (didn't they get Toshiba's press release about slashing prices on players!)

The CC flyer in Sunday's paper today had the A30 for $399 (didn't they get Toshiba's press release about slashing prices on players!)

Most of these retailer ads are printed well inadvance. Probably printed before Toshiba's price reduction announcement.

S~

I was just over peeking at a blu ray forum, and I could not believe how they are salivating over this news! Rumor=fact to many Blu Ray supporters. I sure wish both sides would wait for the facts before posting "facts". They are all expecting an official announcement on Monday (along with dream of a big price drop on the PS3). I could not believe how they were attacking HD DVD supporters. I wonder if Warner had gone the other way if they would be spouting the same mantra that they were glad it was over and that everybody should dump their Blu Ray players. Fat chance. If there should be an official announcement denying that CC is discontinuing HD DVD, it will be fun to look at their responses. I am not saying that will be the case, but if it is, it will be fun.

As a mere spectator of the format wars and owning neither, it seems pretty obvious to me that HDDVD will fail. That's just how it looks to the non-owner out there.

You can take that for nothing, but I imagine there are many people who haven't jumped yet and it's looking more and more that if I was to buy today, it would definitely be Blu Ray.

Besides, Blu Ray is the cooler name anyways LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts