circular lnbf salvage opportunities?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
I'd like to see what I can recieve on the circular side of fta. I currently have a traxis 3500, universal lnbf, sg2100 motor and a winegard 76. I was thinking about posting a wanted ad on freecycle to get a free circular lnbf or dish. What dishes and lnbs are the most useful? What type of switch would I need to make a lnbf or dish work with my current setup? I can potentially see benefits to: 1) adding an lnbf on my motorized dish 2) setting up a salvaged smaller dish next to my winegard or 3) replacing my lnbf with an invacom that recieves both circular and standard.

A Legacy LNBF will work for Circular FTAs long as its not a Dish Pro LNB, just make sure to set the L.O. to 11250

On the Traxis 3500 choose STANDARD then come down and highlight the L.O. move one click to the right and you have 11250

Dish Pro LNBF's are Stacked if you had a de-stacker it would work. You should be able to pick up a cheapo used Dish or DirecTV LNB maybe.

Not much on Circular FTA though NASA, GOL and Angel 1 nothing on the Direct TV Sat's.

I have a Dish 300 for 119 with a Dish Pro LNB, it will not work with the Traxis 3500... as soon as the weather is better I will stick a legacy LNB on the 300 for NASA and Angel 1

I'd like to see what I can recieve on the circular side of fta.
here is what you can get
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=34131
What dishes and lnbs are the most useful?
if you vcan get a dual or single, that would be fine. Preferrably DitrecTV or DIsh Legacy
What type of switch would I need to make a lnbf or dish work with my current setup?
4x1 diseqc switch woulr work
I can potentially see benefits to: 1) adding an lnbf on my motorized dish

that is the easiest. Just hoseclamp a DBS LNB next to the existing LNB :)

I have a Dish 300 for 119 with a Dish Pro LNB, it will not work with the Traxis 3500... as soon as the weather is better I will stick a legacy LNB on the 300 for NASA and Angel 1

why not? We have been able ot get it to work. The H transponders on a DishPro they convert to V and put up inthe 13000 area. Let me see if I can find the info on how to convert DishPro

edit: thread on issue
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=41037&highlight=dishpro

Last edited:
After reading the Dishpro conversion thread...a Dishpro will work and blind scan will find everything (fta) on the satellite but the scanned frequencies will appear to be off by the conversion factor? Is that about right?

why not? We have been able ot get it to work. The H transponders on a DishPro they convert to V and put up inthe 13000 area. Let me see if I can find the info on how to convert DishPro

edit: thread on issue
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=41037&highlight=dishpro
Was talking with PSB earlier and he said the Traxis 3500 would not work with a Dish Pro LNB... I tried the other day and I could get nothing with the Dish Pro. Using the same Dish 300 and the Dish Pro LNB I can get NASA and the Music Channels with my Neusat SP 6000... but no go with the Traxis 3500

dishpro / bandstacked

... the Traxis 3500 would not work with a Dish Pro LNB...
Wonder why?
Could that be the same as some FTA boxes not wanting to do C-band, just because they thought your numbers were out of range?

I see that a lot of newer receiver software for DVB cards (DVBdream), and some newer FTA receivers (the Satpros for one) now give you a "stacked LNB" option.

At one time, I considered several dishes populated with surplus Dish brand FSS LNBs, through a DP34 diseqc switch.
Still might happen, but need to see the results of some LNB tests first.
The DP34 is much more robust than the average diseqc switch seems to be.
(I guess you get what you pay for) :rolleyes:

edit: sorry I got excited about all the dishPro talk.
The OP asked about salvaging a stock LNB.
And the most common are the Legacy ones.
So, I think the best answer was given at the top of the thread, and all this hoopla about DishPro is a waste of time. ;)
A Legacy LNBF will work for Circular FTAs long as its not a Dish Pro LNB, just make sure to set the L.O. to 11250
On the Traxis 3500 choose STANDARD then come down and highlight the L.O. move one click to the right and you have 11250

From the local freecycle group I was given a directv dish with lnb. The model number of the dish is SAN-18S1. The lnb is differrent from the ones I've seen because it has no "neck". Using a spacer block of about 3/4" and a hose clamp I mounted it on the left (when standing behind the dish) of my universal lnb. Just using the receiver controls I tried to get a signal but haven't had much luck yet. I need to take the receiver and a tv out next to the dish. Anyone familiar with this lnb and its specs? Mounting the lnb as described I need to aim a few degrees to the WEST to accommodate the offset of the lnb, right?

FYI: So far I haven't hooked up a switch. I just disconnected the cable from the lnb and hooked it to the circular. I changed the L.O. and entered a strong transponder from the list for 119.

From the local freecycle group I was given a directv dish with lnb. The model number of the dish is SAN-18S1. The lnb is differrent from the ones I've seen because it has no "neck". Using a spacer block of about 3/4" and a hose clamp I mounted it on the left (when standing behind the dish) of my universal lnb. Just using the receiver controls I tried to get a signal but haven't had much luck yet. I need to take the receiver and a tv out next to the dish. Anyone familiar with this lnb and its specs? Mounting the lnb as described I need to aim a few degrees to the WEST to accommodate the offset of the lnb, right?

If you are behind the dish if you put the DBS LNB to the right of the KU, it will be -5 degrees. If its to the left its +5

As an example, in the below picture this is 123 & 119..the DBS LNB is the closer one (with the duct tape on it) :)

Attachments

• 123 & 119.JPG
    123 & 119.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 162
you can have it on either side. My main motorized the DBS LNB is on the other side so I can get over to 148 (16 elevation in MN). If it was on the right side (as in the above) the LNB would hit the roof...on the other side it doesn't

If it were on a fixed (not motorized) dish, you'd have to put it on the side that Iceberg has his (assuming the Ku is for G-10R at 123w and the DBS is for 119w). A DBS satellite to the east of the Ku satellite would be picked up by a DBS LNB mounted west of the Ku LNB.

I decided to be lazy and left the lnb where it was on the left. Upgraded the bin on the traxis, added some cable and a 4x1 switch, and I'm getting 119 and 110.

Iceberg, you were right on the money. The dish is pointing at 114 and 105 when I hit those birds.

I decided to be lazy and left the lnb where it was on the left. Upgraded the bin on the traxis, added some cable and a 4x1 switch, and I'm getting 119 and 110.

Iceberg, you were right on the money. The dish is pointing at 114 and 105 when I hit those birds.

I also just got my Traxis working with 119 after upgrading the bin and it does work with a Dish Pro. I was mistaken earlier when I said it would not.

Forgive me if I missed it , but do you have this dish on a motor ?

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts