City Cable Service Competes With Adelphia, Verizon (1 Viewer)

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
After a long wait, Burlington Telecom has started installing its cable, telephone and high-speed Internet services for customers who live in the area, NewsChannel 5 reported.

One resident, Angelo Mariano, switched to the new service on Friday because he said the price and location were right.

"I like the idea of my local government having some association with the company that supplies telephone, cable and Internet service," Mariano said.

Burlington Telecom calls the new option "triple play" because it provides all of the services under one bill.

Since its conception at the end of January, about 130 people have signed on to become Burlington Telecom customers.

"We're local, we're not Adelphia and we're not Verizon," said spokesman Rich Donnelly. "We have all three services, and we're less expensive."

For example, NewsChannel 5 reported Adelphia charges $52.43 for 68 channels and Burlington Telecom charges $38 for 78 channels.

When it came to broadband Internet, Adelphia charges $23.95, Verizon charges $14.95 and basic Burlington Telecom service begins around $10.

A spokeswoman for Adelphia said she welcomed the competition and said, "From what we've seen, I don't think it's an apples-to-apples comparison, and I think that's going to be the difference. Our digital packages are more robust than Burlington Telecom packages. We provide the UMV games, and no one else does. It depends on what consumers want."

Right now, only 12 percent of the city is wired for Burlington Telecom service, but the company said it hopes to have the entire city ready by 2007.

http://www.thechamplainchannel.com/news/7893058/detail.html?rss=pla&psp=news

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts