"Classic" directv2pc and 'an error has occurred'

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cfb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
California
My wife still runs the original beta of the directv2pc program, which is the one that doesnt have the GPU acceleration and the HDCP protection. Her old laptop is amply powered with a 2GHz core 2 duo, but has a wimpy 950 gpu and no hdcp. The newer directv2pc releases wont let her play any content.

In the last couple of weeks, it stopped working altogether. It'd pull up the playlist on either dvr, but when trying to play a show it'd cough out the awesomely helpful "an error has occurred" and go back to the playlist.

After two days of troubleshooting everything on the planet, I found the culprit. Mcafee antivirus had detected what it thought was a trojan in one of the cyberlink codecs that comes with directv2pc and had quarantined it. So the error was "I'd like to play this but the codec I need isnt there."

Uninstalling and reinstalling didnt help, in fact it helped me figure it out because the installer triggered the mcafee error. Updating mcafee to the latest didnt help either.

I removed mcafee and installed the free microsoft security essentials (recommended based on my use of it over the last 6-7 weeks) and reinstalled the directv2pc software, and everything is working like a charm.

Looks like the newer versions of directv2pc work okay with mcafee, so apparently they took out whatever made mcafee think there was a trojan.

I found lots of people mentioning this problem, but wasnt able to find anyone who posted a solution anywhere. In fact, if you bring it up at "the other site", they tell you that directv has 'moved on' and close the thread. Nice that we can actually share information here and arent just a mouthpiece for directv. We're sure as heck not buying a new computer so my wife can watch Oprah on it. :rolleyes:

So now you know...if you get 'an error has occurred', try removing and reinstalling the s/w. See if you get any errors. Disable any antivirus and firewalls. Then remove and reinstall the directv2pc software and retest.

Solved!

CFB: Thanks for taking the time to write this post. It saved me from wasting time trying to figure out what was wrong with my Directv2PC -- I hadn't just installed McAfee, but Kaspersky. I hear good things about Windows Essentials, but I like Kaspersky so I'm going to stick with them for now. These Russians have got this computer hacking prevention software figured out. Thanks again. :up

Darren in KS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)