Cleaning a C/Ku corotator and LO Frequency of this LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

climy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
west
I got a free Chaparral C/KU band Corotor with a Ku LNB. I don't have any information from the manufacturer of this Ku LNB since it's a bit old. I gently cleaned the whole assy to remove dirt and corrosion inside the tube. Doing this, I removed the inner Ku tube and waveguide parts. I noticed the Ku tube had a protruding Copper antenna ~1/8 in. segment--that goes inside the Ku Waveguide. Noticing it did not have any "radiator" tip. By radiator, I mean it's the larger diameter piece on the tip of the short wire inside the Ku Lnb shown (picture). The good news C-Band works great. No Ku yet.

The Servo motor polerizer turns with the C-band "element" So I assume the mechanical part works.

Did I damage the Ku waveguide parts by removing them?

Did I loose the "radiator" tip on the Ku antenna?

What is the LO frequency of this LNB.

Thanks,
Climy

Attachments

• Ku_lnb.jpg
    Ku_lnb.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 223
Don't think you're really supposed to take those things apart, the old manuals always said "do not touch the probe!" I couldn't say if you have hurt it any though, since I don't know if it worked before the 'cleaning' or not. Just use 10750 for your LO, and find a satellite with known ku on it, see if you can coax anything out of it. Without a means to change the polarity you'll only get vertical or horizontal. Corotors were made for the older analog satellite receivers, the little motor on top of the feedhorn changed the polarity with voltage supplied by the receiver.

Thank you for the advice. Yes I see that the servo adjusts H & V. I used it for manual adjustment while the weather is great outdoors. I have an Ortomode feed with H and V LNB's but there's not many FTA H transponders on 107.3W anyhow. I've never used a Ku LNB on this bird. Are there any pictures of the inside of the Corotor online?
Climy

Good ol Japanese electronic parts. They were the best.

Not sure about photos, I had one awhile back, I'll check tomorrow and see if it's still in my storehouse of unused parts.

Hard to tell much about the inside from photos. This one has a dielectric plate in the KU feed tube as if it was intended for circular polarization. Not sure about that setup.

Attachments

• Corotor 040.JPG
    Corotor 040.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 197
  • Corotor 029.JPG
    Corotor 029.JPG
    762.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Corotor 032.JPG
    Corotor 032.JPG
    823.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Corotor 036.JPG
    Corotor 036.JPG
    602.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)