Cleveland HD Upgrade Friday-Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bucco

Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I have Dish coming to upgrade me on Friday. This appt was set up before the unfortunate failed launch last wknd. I currently have the 200 package and SD locals on Dish 500 and 522 CVR/receiver. They will be updating me to the HD essential package. I was informed I would be getting the 722 for the new HD TV and I will keep the 522 for the other two SDTV.

I have been told by a local retailer (Streetsboro, OH) that Cleveland is still on track to be on-line by end of the month and that Saturday’s failed launch had nothing to do with Cleveland or their local HD channels despite Cleveland being left off the recent “list”

I believe I am supposed to get Dish 1000. Since the Cleveland HD locals are supposedly uplinked to E*12 at 61.5, what should I make sure the tech does on Friday? I thought I read Dish 1000 can’t see 61.5?

Thanks for your help.

bucco, you are correct a dish 1000 cant see 61.5 what you will need is a dish 500 for 110/119 and a dish 300 (or 500 with one lnb) to be pointed at 61.5.....but Until they turn on the locals on 61.5 there is always a small chance they could go elsewhere, But as you know they are already "uplinked" (the names are no channels are up there now) to 61.5...also from what I am hearing they are trying to get them up there at the end of this month (same as what you heard.)

I have Dish coming to upgrade me on Friday. This appt was set up before the unfortunate failed launch last wknd. I currently have the 200 package and SD locals on Dish 500 and 522 CVR/receiver. They will be updating me to the HD essential package. I was informed I would be getting the 722 for the new HD TV and I will keep the 522 for the other two SDTV.

I have been told by a local retailer (Streetsboro, OH) that Cleveland is still on track to be on-line by end of the month and that Saturday’s failed launch had nothing to do with Cleveland or their local HD channels despite Cleveland being left off the recent “list”

I believe I am supposed to get Dish 1000. Since the Cleveland HD locals are supposedly uplinked to E*12 at 61.5, what should I make sure the tech does on Friday? I thought I read Dish 1000 can’t see 61.5?

Thanks for your help.
i would call today and see if you could postpone the upgrade until after wed April 3rd. If you are not already using 61.5, i doubt the installer will aim anything to that satellite now. If they do turn on your hd locals next week on 61.5, you will have to miss another day of work and get in line behind all of the other people who call to get upgraded to hd on 61.5.
At least if you postpone until then, you will have an appt before most everyone else starts calling. Believe me if they turn on hd locals on 61.5 next week and your area is not using that sat now, once it is posted here, people will be calling left and right for their hd locals.It might be a long wait.

A couple more for you guys……..

If I am I reading this correctly re: the Dish 1000.2 – sees 110, 119, 129 and input for a 4th. Could the 4th input be 61.5? Would Dish seriously allow their techs to install a Dish that won’t pick up something that they know will be available in another week (ie Dish 1000 if Cleveland HD locals are indeed planned to be rolled out by 3/31)?

Question 2: Let’s say Cleveland HD locals don’t pan out. Could I install a “Plus Dish” so I could see 118.75 and “move” to Pittsburgh. The plus side to this is I would get HD locals (I could care less where they are from) as well as wouldn’t Fox Sports Pittsburgh be my RSN? I wouldn’t have to listen to Pens games on XM anymore.

I know some people might ask why not OTA, but it is just one more hassle/cable combined with most of the CLE local HD stations are VHF, so I can’t just go out to Wal-mart and pick up a $25 antenna like some can

Thanks again

I'd like to piggy-back off this question if I could.

IF Cleveland locals are picked up and IF they are put on 61.5, how can I get another dish to be pointed to 61.5 if I don't live in Cleveland and I want to "move" there?

Is it feasible to subscribe to something that is on 61.5 to get the Dish, then cancel it and move to Cleveland? Would I then be able to pick up the locals?

A couple more for you guys……..

If I am I reading this correctly re: the Dish 1000.2 – sees 110, 119, 129 and input for a 4th. Could the 4th input be 61.5? Would Dish seriously allow their techs to install a Dish that won’t pick up something that they know will be available in another week (ie Dish 1000 if Cleveland HD locals are indeed planned to be rolled out by 3/31)?
If the techs were in the know they could. But more then likely you will have to request a 61.5 dish before your install, as they will probably bring out a 1000. This should be free if you request before hand, but you are then hoping and praying that DIsh does in fact light them up at 61.5 (which is a good chance they will, but not 100% sure they will)
Question 2: Let’s say Cleveland HD locals don’t pan out. Could I install a “Plus Dish” so I could see 118.75 and “move” to Pittsburgh. The plus side to this is I would get HD locals (I could care less where they are from) as well as wouldn’t Fox Sports Pittsburgh be my RSN? I wouldn’t have to listen to Pens games on XM anymore.

Yep, I was thinking of doing this at one point (but because I am a steelers fan and wanted the steelers games :)
I know some people might ask why not OTA, but it is just one more hassle/cable combined with most of the CLE local HD stations are VHF, so I can’t just go out to Wal-mart and pick up a $25 antenna like some can

Thanks again

I understand your OTA situation, I have an antenna up and it works, mostly, NBC is a very low VHF station and has fits if I turn a light on while watchign tv, same with CBS..also ABC comes in but is on the fringe so I pray that there are no breakups.

I'd like to piggy-back off this question if I could.

IF Cleveland locals are picked up and IF they are put on 61.5, how can I get another dish to be pointed to 61.5 if I don't live in Cleveland and I want to "move" there?

Is it feasible to subscribe to something that is on 61.5 to get the Dish, then cancel it and move to Cleveland? Would I then be able to pick up the locals?

Do you have a dish 1000 now? or do you just have 110/119? I see you are in pennsylvania but remember these will be spotbeams, so there is a chance you couldbe outside the "spot"

Do you have a dish 1000 now? or do you just have 110/119? I see you are in pennsylvania but remember these will be spotbeams, so there is a chance you couldbe outside the "spot"

I believe Erie, PA will still be in the E-12 spotbeam for Cleveland.

I have the 1000, but I'm only 95 miles from Cleveland. I "moved" there last year to get the Browns every week and had no problems with that.

you should be fine on the spot for 61.5, also as far as getting the dish for 61.5 that you might have to pay for...and to be honest, you would probably have to install it yourself, unless you move back to your address where you are now, get the dish installed (probably for a fee) and then move back to cleveland which might draw flags, unless you know somebody that installs dishes

you should be fine on the spot for 61.5, also as far as getting the dish for 61.5 that you might have to pay for...and to be honest, you would probably have to install it yourself, unless you move back to your address where you are now, get the dish installed (probably for a fee) and then move back to cleveland which might draw flags, unless you know somebody that installs dishes

I have since moved back to my real address, but planned to go back during football season. But if they get the locals in HD, I'll do it sooner.

The locals in Erie will be going HD, but only through Time Warner Cable. Not even OTA. I didn't think that was possible. So getting Erie HD from Dish will probably come SOON in 2015.

The installer who has done all my work here knows I have moved before and he started talking about others he knows who have moved. I guess all I can do is ask him.

Couldn't I just keep the 500 for the 61.5? This whole process seems much more of a headache than it needs to be - jeesh.

Couldn't I just keep the 500 for the 61.5? This whole process seems much more of a headache than it needs to be - jeesh.

It all depends on the installer and the work order. If his order shows to swap out dishes, he is going to take the 500. If the locals arent on by friday, he probably wont aim the 500 at 61.5 for "maybes, gonna bes, might be one day" etc., Plus hook up whatever diplexer/ splitter or anything else that you dont actually need yet. Those guys dont get paid for any extra unauthorized work. If you can wait/postpone until the locals are working on 61.5, that will be the best way. Then you will have an appt, and you can call dish before your appt and make sure that the work order is for the new dish, and to aim your old 500 at 61.5.
Right now "technically " dish doesnt know anything about your locals being turned on on 61.5 anytime soon.They wont make a work order for something you dont need yet.

I stopped by a local retailer on the way home and they knew nothing about Cleveland being dropped off the list. What is interesting is that they did say they were just testing on 61.5 and it really was going on 129? Go figure. The two retailers there both told me to drop dish and go with direct - ha ha.

Just an update – took some of the forum’s advice and pushed the install to April 4th. Like I said earlier, stopped by a local retailer last night to speak to someone face to face. They seemed to be as surprised as I was to see Cleveland dropped from the list. I told them I had a scheduled upgrade on Friday and that they were installing a Dish 1000 (which can see the 110, 119, and 129). I told them that what I was reading on the net was that the locals are going to be on the 61.5. They all agreed that Dish was testing them on that bird, but would move to 129 - if not, they would have to go out and install a 2nd dish to all their customers in the area to see the 61.5, which probably wasn't going to happen.

Funny though, they told me to ditch Dish and go with Direct TV. The DVR is the only thing really holding me (mostly my wife) back at this point as Direct wants $99 for a 2nd DVR

So when I called the CR rep to cancel (as I couldn't cancel w/ the local b/c I am bundled with windstream for phone and DSL) I told him why I was pushing it. He also agreed w/ the retailers that the HD locals for Cleveland most likely would not be on the 61.5, but on the 129. Now he told me the reason Cleveland was dropped was space issues as Cleveland's HD channels are broadcast in MPEG2 while Dish uses MPEG4, which I guess is more compressed? Does that make sense? He basically said don’t expect Cleveland until late May or June.

Who knows. I am leaning towards a total drop. To cancel out of my remaining 18-month contract would be $65. To upgrade to HD w/ Dish, it will be $75 and I won't get the NCAA Tournament in HD, plus pay $6 a month extra for an HD DVR where my wife will be recording American Idol and Grey’s Anatomy in standard definition. Ha ha.

Thanks for your help. This forum has been great.

Ok - after hearing that the Austin folks have to either 1) commit to 24 months or 2) pay $60 to get their HD locals, I am going to have to lean on the many NE Ohio folks on here.

I took the advice of many on here and pushed the HD upgrade (Dish 1000) from March 21 to April 4. Since it now appears Cleveland HD locals are not going to get launched here by the end of the month (seeing a lot of April 10 within this forum), should I push the upgrade back yet again? Trying to avoid paying $75 to have the 1000 installed and then a week later, pay $60 to have something else installed for the locals on 61.5.

Hell, I am still trying to get my Big Ten Network back (AT200 sub in Ohio) - lol

Regards

Thanks for your help.

Email received from DISH on March 29, 2008;

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for your email. Specific information regarding your request for the local channels of Cleveland, Ohio in HD is not currently available. We would like to add these channels, to make viewers like you happy, but we do not know when this will happen. Over the next two months (April and May of 2008), DISH Network will increase its local HD offering by more than 60 percent with the addition of HD broadcast networks in another 17 markets, but unfortunately Cleveland is not among them at this time. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.

We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

xxxxx

DISH Network eCare

Pine Brook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)