Click click goes the 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Odinbear2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Edmeston, NY
Have a 10ft dish, 4DTV unit moves it, we have an Openbox for viewing. Was working fine, went outside for a while upon entering the 4DTV unit was clicking and the LCD display going on and off with the click. Couldn't power it off so I pulled plug, plugged back in and it just clicks (no LCD light now). So I get out my other 4DTV unit and hook it up, only to have it do the same thing ( click, click, click ) . So now I think it's something at the dish so I call a big sat company and he said cause both units do same thing, hasta be my C-band LNB. so I order one, get out a different chapperal feed horn and mount it to the different feed horn , which had a bad c band lnb which I removed. Expected it to work but as soon as I plug the 4DTV DSR-922 in, it just clicks. Looking for an answer or some help to find the answer. Netflix is already gettin old.

I'm sure one of our 4D guys will have the correct answer.
But I have to ask: did you check the wiring to the reed switch on the motor?
Might just have a broken wire.
...or maybe the big motor wires are shorted.
?I can't see anything that would suggest bad LNB. (?)
Edit: though maybe a shorted coax....do you have voltage at the LNB?

Last edited:
I'm trying to locate a tester. Unhooked the Cband coaxial from back of 4DTV unit and it powers up ( no clicking ). Hmmm, the buried cable has 2 coaxials, need to put an end on the unused one and will hook it up. Just the fact that unhooking the coaxial cable allows it to power on suggests a bad coaxial, yes?..

When you "went outside for a while" the first time, just before the clicking started, were you doing anything out there with a shovel, or that could have cut through the buried coax?

Do you have a short piece of RG6 or patch cable with connectors?

Can you bring the LNB inside and try it on a different piece o cable?

So far, everything used is different except for the coaxial cable . I am putting an end on the ( what should have been KU) spare coaxial that runs from the dish to the house. That coaxial was never used and should be fine. I get the feeling that it's being suggested that the coaxial cable is faulty ( we had a lightning strike 2 years ago that took out a previous c-band lnb an openbox and other non tvrelated equipment here. Has worked since then with no problems but the guy I bought thelnb from said lightning can melt that cable's innards. Weird that it's worked fine for almost 2 1/2 yrs.

Well, put one of those radio shack screw on ends onto the 2nd coax on the 5 strand. Can power on 4DTV DSR-922 now, dish has not moved, same sat shows G4. But says no signal from the Openbox for the channels we usually watch on G4. Reattached the end twice in the house cause I thought maybe wasn't right. Put other "previously used" lnb back on, same thing, = no signal. Tried switching channel on the 4dtv and getting no signal or light saying it is getting a signal. Stumped again.
My dish position should not have changed, looking at the arm I see evidence that leads me to believe that it should still be pointed at G4. ( we rarely move it anyways). Nothing changed at the Openbox and nothing was changed in the DSR-922 level. (( except being unplugged to attach/dettach coaxial and changing channels odd/even to access openbox received channels )).
Never had it happen that I didn't receive a signal b4. (new lnb. And. Now on the lnb I was led to believe could be bad)
at this point still has tobe the cable, huh?

Do you have a short piece of RG6 or patch cable with connectors?

Can you bring the LNB inside and try it on a different piece o cable?

I have lots of short pieces of coaxial cable. Do those 3 wires to the little blue box also need to be hooked up inside?
i'll get no reception, so what would I be looking for if I do this?

The blue box is the servo.
It selects between vertical and horizontal polarity.
Yes, it should be connected.
Edit: oh, inside...
Well, if you hook it up, it should make some noise changing between vertical and horizontal.
So, you can verify operation.
?Otherwise, no.

The blue box is the servo.
It selects between vertical and horizontal polarity.
Yes, it should be connected.
Edit: oh, inside...
Well, if you hook it up, it should make some noise changing between vertical and horizontal.
So, you can verify operation.
?Otherwise, no.
Yes, no patch cable with coaxial and servo wires. Weird. I also have a Disq switch , Cband in and then out to openbox and out to DSR-922. I hooked a different coax to a different out port ( switch has 4), then hooked up original coaxial ( the one that caused clicking initially). Now still no signal but no clicking, DSR powers on, open box menus show. Still no signal, I'm using my old LNB, the one that was on there when the clicking started. I have 2 feed horns , the new lnb is mounted on a chapperal ii. And was taken off a couple minutes ago. Why no signal from a new lnb and my old lnb?

Further testing.... The switch is a 4-way splitter. One in 4 out. The out I was using to the DSR-922 is marked power pass out. When I hook to it now, the unit just clicks. Moving the coaxial to either of the other 2 available outs, LET'S THE UNIT COME ON. BUT NO signal from the lnb. I've always had the out to the DSR unit hooked up to the power pass out and was working. Since dish should be pointed at satellite , can I just bypass the DSR-922 and hook the coaxial from the LNB directly into the openbox? ( basically to eliminate the splitter switch at the moment) Or is the DSR supplying its power, etc.
Are there any channels on G4 that the DSR should see? I know I can bypass the splitter and go directly from the lnb to the DSR, but would the splitter cause me not to get a signal?
can the splitter be bad?

Ok. Eliminated the splitter. Cband thraight to DSR-922. G4-16 is on. BOTH LNB's. New one now running. No splitter. I have an old in / out/ out. Splitter, will this work or was the 4 way sumpin special?

Not sure if this is related, but with the C-band cable just being plugged into the DSR-922. The openbox is no longer in the equation now either. We WERE OUTPUTTING the openbox to one tv via an HDMI cable. And another tv via the 3-plug composite. Well, when I finally started to get the units to both power, I could only access the tv that was connected via composite. No matter what I did the HDMI would not output, I finally just used composite to connect the tv closest to the DSR-922 unit. Perhaps the openbox crapped? Although the menus looked fine, just wasn't getting a signal from splitter/Cband. And no more HDMI output. ( never had a problem there setting 480i seemed to make both outputs coexist). Anyways. Straight C-band receives G4-16 shepards chapel. Crisp, nice lnb. Problem has been isolated to be the old coaxial cable and probably the splitter. Was that a special splitter or will a general purpose coaxial splitter work? Gen purp. Means it says 2- way splitter 5-900Mhz. IN/OUT/OUT

Splitter 5-900MHz is for Over-The-Air TV. For satellite signals, you need a splitter that goes up to 2GHz. Signals from the LNBF are in the range of 950-1450 MHz, so the 900 MHz splitter will not pass the satellite signals efficiently.

Splitter 5-900MHz is for Over-The-Air TV. For satellite signals, you need a splitter that goes up to 2GHz. Signals from the LNBF are in the range of 950-1450 MHz, so the 900 MHz splitter will not pass the satellite signals efficiently.

Thanks. Figured as much since it was from just patching extra tv's into the mix in the older days? And upon closer inspection says 5-2300Mhz. Guess I'll need to order one then worry whether the openbox is functioning correctly.

Last edited:
Wow lot of activity since I was last here!

Sounds like the problem has been identified

Good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts