Clipon antenna causes Dish Network to not work

N

NewbieInCT

Original poster
I was wondering if anyone could help:

We had Dish Network installed today, and ran across the following problem:
when a clip-on type antenna was affixed to the dish, the system was unable to configure to Dish Network. Therefore, we removed it, but I was wondering if there were any solutions for this (or if there is a way to get DN to give us the CT stations instead).

The antenna was an attempt to receive CT broadcasts, as in Fairfield County they only offer NYC stations (which we have and needed a 2nd dish for). But are there any ideas on why this is not working. I believe they are Dish-500 system dishes, for one 522 receiver unit (2 tvs) and one 8?? (HDTV unit -- 1 tv). Any help/suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks guys!

--NewbieInCT

The clip-on antenna, itself, was not the problem. Undoubtedly the diplexer that combines it with the satellite downlink was not connected properly or else it was defective. (I have heard that some of the Terk antennas shipped with diplexers that just didn't work.)

You will notice that the diplexer has only one power-pass leg. That is the one to connect the LNBF to the receiver.

But don't expect great results with the clip-on antenna anyway. They are relatively low-gain multi-directional devices. Unless you live in a strong signal area without multi-path problems from relected signals off of hills, buildings, towers, etc. you would better off with a more directional high-gain antenna.

I bought one at Circuit City when I first got Dish, waaaay back when I couldn't get all my locals from Dish. I never had any problems with it, but the picture quality was only slightly better than what I could get with $5 rabbit ears inside.

My opinion of those Terk clipons is that they're almost worthless. I know now that you should either pony up a little more for a full directional antenna or skip it and make do with something cheap inside.

I bought one but never used it cause I was told it wouldn't work with dish pro, so back it went...

It's better this way anyways, diplexer lowers your signal and is a pain...

Clip on

I have a Terk clip on, but I'm just 13 miles away from the towers here in
the DFW area, and mine works fine, I get very good signals on all my locals.
I did have a outside antenna mounted in my attic, but the plywood used
for my sub-roofing , is called cool-ply has that aluminum laminated to the
plywood facing the inside of the attic. Its great for keeping an attic cooler,
but made it impossible to get good consistent signals, no matter what amps, or anything else I tried. So I tried the Terk, knowing their reputation wasn't
too hot, I would have taken it back to BB if it didn't work, but low and behold
the little sucker works really well. But if I lived any farther away probably
it wouldn't cut it.

I live no further than 20 miles from the towers in my area and I get all of my analog and digital channels just fine. I had to move the terk 44 clip on antenna till I could get a good consistent signal on all three of my digital channels, but it works fine and has for over a year now and counting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)