Close captioning - not working??

netdecal

Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Grand Junction CO
I just upgraded my 625 receiver to a 722k and now I can't get the CC to work. This is a Visio LCD tv and I was using its own remote to turn on/off the CC. Some functions like volume still work with the Vizio remote but not the CC. The only other change that was made was connecting the TV to the receiver via HDMI. Is there anyway to activate Close Captioning via the DISH menu and/or remote?

You have to use the CC from sat

I just upgraded my 625 receiver to a 722k and now I can't get the CC to work. This is a Visio LCD tv and I was using its own remote to turn on/off the CC. Some functions like volume still work with the Vizio remote but not the CC. The only other change that was made was connecting the TV to the receiver via HDMI. Is there anyway to activate Close Captioning via the DISH menu and/or remote?

You can't use the CC on the TV you have to set it so that the CC is done on the 722k. Menu 8-7-1

I have seen the same problem with a 612 and a Vizio. Muting the TV doesn't turn on CC. I am forced to fiddle around either in the 612 menu or the Vizio menu. The Vizio has something like 8 different CC modes, most of which do nothing. Some turn it on permanently, but then an equal amount of fumbling through the menu system again is necessary to turn it off. This is utterly lame and a giant step backwards IMHO.

I was disappointed in CC 3 years ago when I changed from 625s to 622s. For some reason CC and HD don't play nice together so the sat and cable providers must provide the CC signal. Having to push 11 buttons just to turn it on and off got old. I now have it set up for one button on my Harmony One.

I was disappointed in CC 3 years ago when I changed from 625s to 622s. For some reason CC and HD don't play nice together so the sat and cable providers must provide the CC signal. Having to push 11 buttons just to turn it on and off got old. I now have it set up for one button on my Harmony One.
What's this 11 crap? I just did it in 8. I think that's still too many but less than the 11 U and someone else has quoted. menu ,8, 7, 1, left arrow, CC on, right arrow,& view TV. Same to turn off expect it is CC off.

I've read somewhere that CC does not play nice with HDMI connections.

I've tried it with component cables and it doesn't work either. No CC on a 722 for me with HDMI and Component.

Hell, CC doesn't play nice at all! It always screws up and plus sometimes is WRONG!
That's right, whenever we get to use CC on TV2 (only way to get CC) is never synchronized correctly.

What's this 11 crap? I just did it in 8. I think that's still too many but less than the 11 U and someone else has quoted. menu ,8, 7, 1, left arrow, CC on, right arrow,& view TV. Same to turn off expect it is CC off.

Don't get me started on this crap. It takes too many steps just to turn on CC. One would think that with their "state of the art" equipment, one button should do the trick like most TVs do.

Well, since I use my Harmony One and it doesn't have a View TV button on it, it takes 11 clicks. And I would rather do that than use the crap Dish remote since the Harmony will turn everything on with one click. I do have it set up to turn on my Onkyo 605, my Tosh and my 622 and set the CC on all with one click. If you prefer to use the crap Dish remote that's okay by me but I prefer using one remote. But to each his own.

Well, since I use my Harmony One and it doesn't have a View TV button on it, it takes 11 clicks. ...
You can program one button on your Harmony to do Close Captioning and one button to view TV if you wish.

I have used Harmony's for years, but I don't agree with your assessment of the Dish OEM remote. It's actually very well laid out.

You can program one button on your Harmony to do Close Captioning and one button to view TV if you wish.

I have used Harmony's for years, but I don't agree with your assessment of the Dish OEM remote. It's actually very well laid out.
I basically have that one button set up on my remote. I have an activity labeled Dish CC that turns everything on and goes through the CC sequence. I put it on the start sequence because the number of commands you could program in a sequence was fewer than required. Even if I had used the View TV. Maybe they've increased the number of commands for a sequence. And I never used the View TV button. As for the Dish remote, it is about as good as any other OEM remote that I've used. But I got a tad upset about my comment being called crap. You know how old boat sailors can get. In the other world I'm olguy. :D

.... Maybe they've increased the number of commands for a sequence. .... You know how old boat sailors can get. In the other world I'm olguy. :D
Hey olguy :),

IIRC you create a 5 step macro and then include it in another macro. This gets around the limit.

I found an interesting 1996 SAIC study on women on the boats. I'll send you the link.

SaltiDawg

Here is an example of how messed up CC is: Last night while I was watching FlashForward, the guy said 36 hours while CC had 48 hours! I'm like WTF?!?!?!?!

Also, when someone curses are are beeped.... CC still has is typed out!

Not to get too much off topic, but the rule (not law, just convention) is that CC's must always type whatever is said or on script: the raw truth faithful to the original with no imposition of personal attitudes, so to speak. So, it is correct for the CC to have the "naughty" word displayed. However, there are some prudes who type CC and, even if the profane word is not bleeped, they will type "bleep." Far too often CC's reveal much about the individual typing them.

For example, the Match Game on GSN must have had 2 different people working on the CC's as one would type every single word said, including all the mutterings and chit-chat off mic and that CC typist always indicated [In the voice of Paul Lynde] whenever Richard Dawson said a few words impersonating Paul Lynde. Meanwhile the other CC typist would omit large amounts of talk and banter and skip whole sections to include only the relevant clear talk of the game (a violation of the convention) and that CC typist NEVER indicated when Richard Dawson was performing voice of Paul Lynde. Obviously one of them remembers and knows who Paul Lynde was, and the other does not.

That is just one example of how personalities invade what are supposed to be correct, complete and faithful transcriptions to CC.

Anyone know if it is the E* CC software that messes up the CC, or if it embedded in the program incorrectly? I watch a lot of foreign films of HBO/Max/Starz/Sho so CC is most helpful, but the CC is so jumbled too often. Words either don't display at all, or two words get 'merged' (i.e. ..."that's an interesting point you just made" might display as "that's an interestoint you jusade". Wondering if one of the E* CC display options works better than others?

The CC on High def connections is painted onto the screen by the receiver, on SD it is transmitted to the tv through the receiver.

Anyone know if it is the E* CC software that messes up the CC, or if it embedded in the program incorrectly? I watch a lot of foreign films of HBO/Max/Starz/Sho so CC is most helpful, but the CC is so jumbled too often. Words either don't display at all, or two words get 'merged' (i.e. ..."that's an interesting point you just made" might display as "that's an interestoint you jusade". Wondering if one of the E* CC display options works better than others?

It is hard to say. Sometimes the poor CC may be a problem with the source. However, Dish was having a terrible time with CC's being "garbled," and many times I could get a clear--meaning all letters displayed making sense instead of random letters being displayed--CC display by skipping back, etc. History was the only channel that would not display CC for as long as 15 minutes, but upon re-viewing the episode, the CC would display correctly UNTIL I would skip back. Then CC would not display for another 15 minutes. That, too, was obviously Dish. I can say that for the last 6 months, CC has been displaying flawlessly on History: Dish must have fixed something.

I can say that if the CC is out of sync with the dialog, it is almost certainly the fault of the producer. Match Game had a horrible time difference between the action and what the CC displayed, as long as up to 2 full minutes out of sync. It was MADDENING. Also, on the show The Inbetweeners on BBCAmerica HD, the CC is always behind the dialog by a good 3 seconds, and this makes it very difficult to follow. I am constantly having to skip back to have it all sync in my mind. Everything else on BBCAmerica CC's as it should.

Also, I have found that on rare occasions there may be a hiccup when accessing data from the HDD--as is the case with any HDD device--and the CC won't display properly for a moment. A quick skip back allows the data to be displayed correctly.

Last edited:
I find having the captioning a little behind is nice so I can pick up the words I missed.
We have a news show that is dead in sync or even a little early and it is annoying. (They seem to work from their script except for the weather.) As some have said news readers not reporters.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts