Closed Caption concerns

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ces1948

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I've now been with Dish about 3 months after 2 years with Direct and I have to say I'm not very happy with the closed captioning service. In my opinion the text placement on the lower left of the screen as opposed to Directs bottom center is kind of obtrusive. I wish there was a way to change the placement. I guess my biggest complaint though is that the captions are quite often slightly out of sync and sometimes stay on the screen long after the dialog is done. I did appreciate the features that were added a short while back that enable us to change text size and color. Is there any settings I may have missed concerning CC? Thanks.

well, left, but CC does move to top when authored yo do so. I agree: there is room for much improvement with how dish is re encoding CC data and they sill don't look as good as the older ViP boxes. But far more of a great cocetn is the poor quality of the LIVE CC from machine or person typing. KTLA Morning News is an abominable experience from a completely incompetent operator, as well as a number of other local statipns live newscasts. I can't enjoy the program.

Last edited:
I don't even try to use it on live events because of the delay, the text quite often appears well after the the events on the screen.

Overall, the transition from analog CC to digital CC has been a nightmare.

One more disturbing issue is that Dish doesn't respect the timing of the captions which causes them to stay visible long after they should have been removed. This is pretty major since some programs display their own translation captions, Vice is one such example, but they stay covered by the CC that doesn't go away.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

One more disturbing issue is that Dish doesn't respect the timing of the captions which causes them to stay visible long after they should have been removed. This is pretty major since some programs display their own translation captions, Vice is one such example, but they stay covered by the CC that doesn't go away.
That is also my primary complaint. Really annoying when a program will include its own CC translation of someone speaking a foreign language and we can't read the translation as it is covered up by the Dish provided CC from the last dialog which just won't go away until English is again spoken and the Dish CC starts up again. VERY, VERY annoying.

Doesn't the CC data (including placement on the screen) come from the program provider? How does Dish have ANY affect on whether captions stay up or move around the screen?

As far as live captioning, if you think about it, it's amazing it's as close as it is. You have a person at a remote site dialed in via phone line listening to program audio. They're typing on a box that encodes the data and send it (via modem) back to the program origination site where's it's encapsulated with the video.

The FCC now (I think, maybe it starts in 2015) doesn't allow Big 4 stations in the Top 25 market to utilize their teleprompter to feed the caption encoder. It must be live captioned.

The CC is displayed via software. It seems that Dish has a bug that causes the caption to stick around. In the case of program provided subtitles that get covered by the Dish CC I found a work around. I pause and immediately un-pause the program. This removes the CC until the next one is sent.

I've noticed if the CC is not there, then pausing and un-pausing brings it back.
This would seem to be the opposite and if it toggles the CC then that would do
what we have asked for. But it is ugly. Anyway it does not work consistently for me.
Yes the lingering CC is annoying but 1-sec display is too. Needs work.
-Ken

The CC is displayed via software. It seems that Dish has a bug that causes the caption to stick around. In the case of program provided subtitles that get covered by the Dish CC I found a work around. I pause and immediately un-pause the program. This removes the CC until the next one is sent.
Good plan and works but have to have the remote in hand all the time as the foreign language caption will be gone too soon. I suppose if real serious need to hear(see) what was said I could backup, grab the remote and be ready for it.

Point is, this should not be necessary, Dish should fix it along with all the other things that they have broken on the Hopper.

I use the pause/unpause as mentioned by KKlare to get CC going again when it stops.

Sent by my old reliable IBM keyboard using fingers

I don't r remember but I think on 722k there is option on where to put the CC. Don't know about hopper

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Point is, this should not be necessary, Dish should fix it along with all the other things that they have broken on the Hopper.

I use the pause/unpause as mentioned by KKlare to get CC going again when it stops

I agree, it is a major pain and we shouldn't have to do it this way. Dish needs to fix it and they should start beta testing their releases.

Hitting the RED key and then CANCEL also brings back captioning for me, but the PAUSE/UNPAUSE would probably be easier.

Is anybody else not able to use CC on Epix? I tried all the CC services, but none of them work. Also I will try the suggestions above for other channels as sometimes CC disappears after commercial breaks on Fox and Syfy.

Living with the CC lingering or pushing pause twice is bearable. Has anyone watched National Geographic and tried to use their CC? It is horrendous. Words are run together, sentences start with parts of words or one letter. That sentence might look like "ds arerun together sent". It is shameful. An "Educational" channel my foot....well the rest of it is.

I don't mean to bash Dish but I was with Direct for the two years preceding switching to Dish in Jan of this year and it was far superior in delivering CC. I just don't understand that as the same technology should be available to both services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)