Closed Caption Loss

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
My CC dropped out again today. The 722 has been good for a long time, now at L511.

The problem was more frequent back with my 921. I never have seen a way to consistently revive the CC without rebooting. Rebooting is very inconvenient when you have recordings especially back-to-back recordings that I often do--it can be hours before I can sneak in 5-10 minutes to do a reboot.

In the old days, sometimes turning off CC and viewing and turning it back on would work, not so today. Sometimes a burst of FF or Rewind or skips would shake it loose, not today. Nor changing channels/recordings.

Suggestions welcome as my hearing is not what was and CC does help more than headphones.
-Ken

I have noticed the same problem on my 622. Fortunately, I don't rely upon CC, but occasionally use it to reinforce dialog on techie programming. Have you made a formal complaint to Dish? (I know - very painful)

I have had the same problem on my 622 with 449 software.

Until I realized what was going on I was just bummed at how few shows had CCs.

Reboot is the only thing that works for me but I haven't spend much time messing with it.

During a show I know had CCs I couldn't get them and couldn't understand some important dialog (spoken by brits talking very fast with sound effects blasting at the same time (Can you say Doctor Who?)) so I keep trying things until a reboot solved the problem.

The constant problems with CCs was a blessing in disguise for me. I wear hearing aids and even with them certain dialogue simply escapes me. I have to rely on captions for most fast talking sitcoms and especially multi-panel news shows where everyone is talking at the same time. In those situations captions can't keep up very well anyway but at least it is better than nothing.

I say the stations/Dish CC problems was a blessing in disguise because I found a neat contraption made by Clear Sounds - the CLA7 Amplified Powered Neckloop. I have a long cord running under the carpet from the tv2 audio output of the 622 and (using some plug adapters) I have that connected to the neckloop. I put it around my neck, turn it on and place the hearing aids to telecoil mode. Presto! - I'm hearing the 622 audio output directly into my ear through my aids. Much, much better clarity than using headphones and I rely on CCs a lot less now. Another advantage with the neckloop is I can attach another plug and use it for the phone, even cell phones. This is all for naught of course if you do not wear hearing aids.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts