Closed Caption Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mmpotash

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
I have Dish Network with a Dish 942 HD Receiver. My deaf girlfriend needs CC to view programs but, unfortunately I'm having problems with this.

The CC when using Dish programs cuts out part of the captioning when I'm using my Zenith HDTV to view them, usually a paragraph here and there, sometimes just a few words. I know that Dish is picking it up since when I rewind the show, (this is a HD DVR receiver), this portions missing usually show up but other portions don't. Also they show up normally on my SD TV upstairs that runs off the Dish receiver.

I tried to use the Zenith captioning but the Zenith will not let me turn it on, (it is grayed out). I can turn it on using my other connections to the TV, like my antenna, on but not the HDMI I use with Dish, so I have to use the Dish receiver captioning.

I replaced the Dish receiver but that did not help.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Maybe Someone else can figure out a solution. Dish Network has no clue and they think it is in my TV since my upstairs SDTV CC works fine.

I have found that any issues with CC get different responses from Dish. The viewed captioning for programming on an HD television connected to an HD receiver will be from the receiver. The television settings don't matter but CC must be enabled on the receiver (you don't have the option to use the televison's decoder in this case). You may know this.

SD captioning on an SD television will be from the television's CC decoder.

My opinion is that Dish has trouble with their receiver performing CC decoding and when you are able to use the television's decoder, you have a more stable translation.

This is also evidenced not only by what you are observing between the HD and the SD television displays but by the fact that the HD LiL broadcasts are not yet decoded for display.

This is a particularly sore subject with me. Especially when I get a call from a Dish CSR giving me misinformation about any captioning issues that I complain about. Recently the CSR told me that the HD LiL content providers were not sending the CC information to Dish so it couldn't be displayed. It was that simple to him. When I informed him that I had checked this out prior to making the complaint, he told me he would investigate. To his credit, he dug a little deeper and apologized, telling me that when he asked internally what the answer should be, the response HE got was WRONG and that it is an issue with Dish.

I hope they get this straightened out. I pay for a lot of HD content that I can't view because of the lack of CC (not all is Dish's fault, some providers are not captioning). But some content is being provided with captioning and Dish is not delivering to my (as a group) set.

... rab

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)