Closed Caption problems on FTA unit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zesuit

Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
I got a Fortec Ultra Lifetime FTA and when I enable Close Caption on my TV, it works but all garbled or garbage words or sentence but sometime a clean sentence or two will come up but most of the time it all garbage.

If the caption is a "live feed type" CC where it scrolls upward where a new sentence appear at the bottom of the tv screen and is moved up as new sentence appear but disppears after the 3rd row, that type of CC come in ok and fairly readable if they are speaking normal speed but as soon the person on TV speak faster the CC get more garbled.

The static type of CC where the sentence appears anywhere on the screen (at the bottom most of the time) and disappear or is replaced with a new sentence is all garbled or garbage that you could hardly even make out what being said on TV.

Is it some setting I missed to clean up or adjust the CC or someting in the Fortec?

I have called my dealer where I purchased this unit from and they said "We don't take relay calls and hung up on me". So I called back having relay service explaining this is a deaf customer who have an issue with a product ordered from them and they still said the same thing "Sorry we don't deal with relay calls and it's company policy and hung up."

Well I don't have any other way to place a call since I am deaf and I have to use the relay service to place phone calls to hearing people so I am asking here to see if anyone can help me get the CC to come out clean.

If I can't get this CC working then I might try sending it back or find a hearing person to make the call for me and go to OTA instead.

Hello and WELCOME to the satelliteGuys.US FTA forum :welcome

I have no idea how CC works but I imagine if it works at all its going to be hit or miss on the live feeds out there. Hope it works out for you and you stick with FTA.

Great to have you here and I hope someone familiar with CC/FTA can help!

Thank you and it live feed doesn't mean it a live show it mean it the type of CC they use to display on screen but it normally seen on live feed or local news or taped shows on cable tv.

But the show is not live and those type of caption can be put in later however for some reason some studio or station use scrolling "live feed" type of caption on thier shows when it not really a live show.

I was only describing the 2 diferent type of CC methods. I hate those scrolling caption but I can understand they use them on local news or live shows because there a court teletypers typing them out as they speak on TV real time. I always prefer static type of CC where the sentence is display as they speak the setence out and then disappear and is replaced by a new senetence.

Anyway the problem is the CC signal is somehow is corrupted by the Fortec or maybe I missed a setting to allow the CC signal which rides on vsync video to pass freely to the TV set so the TV can decode it propety.

That why I wanted to ask someone here if there was a setting or something I may have missed before I have to spend more headache on getting someone to take care of this issue for me since the dealer whom sold me this will not deal with deaf people. Sad there people like this still on this earth.

Thanks

First, let me say, I get tired of all the lawsuits and people complaning about crap all the time, but I will also say, a phone call to the state attorney general might be in order here. I would imagine company policy would change about relay calls if they got a call from that individual on your behalf.

I worked in a pharmacy and we had a couple that was deaf, and between signing and them using a notepad, there was NO communication barrier whatsoever. It is horrible they would not take a relay call. I have taken several myself, like PSB, and it's no different than any other customer.

My $.02 worth.

I have the same problem with my fortech reciever using Close Captioning since I am Hard of hearing Left ear and total deafness on my right ear. :(

I have a hunch that Fortech, which is based in Europe have little or no experences with NTSC line 21 Close Captioning, and I am thinking maybe software upgrade might help this problem? :confused:

Any Ideas on that?

As for Relay call that company is breaking the law under ADA for rejecting the calls is very stupid!! :mad:

Yeah it this dealer at sadoun that I brought the Fortec from and treated me this way on relay called.

I had already told them that I could file with ADA againist them and they say something that they basically don't care and they are still not taking relay calls from deaf people.

I seem couldn't post the website link to the dealer

Anyway it this dealer Sadoun that treated me this way and I just saw that they are a sponsor of your website.

I am going to wait to hear back from Fortec on this and see if it some firmware upgrade that they can fix this issue and if it not something that they can fix then I will file ADA againist the dealer since there is no other way for me to resolve this matter and get my refund back since they won't take my relay calls and I already have emailed them several time and no replies from them on this matter.

I guess I got screwed from Sadoun and I hope you don't buy from them either in future.

Sadoun is also a member here. Try sending him a private message and see if he will help you that way. I have used Sadoun twice with no problems but I don't have any hearing problems. I can tell you that most OTA receivers for locals do closed captioning very well. I hope that Mr. Sadoun himself is not who you talked to... What was the salesman's name?

I don't know who it was but the person mention that he/she was front desk and I asked to speak to someone who is in charge and the person said that he wouldn't even the relay call because it's company policy not to take the relay call and still won't transfer me to any other person at the office to discuss this matter.

I already emailed them asking about it and they still do not reply so why would sending a PM on this forum would made any different and I think it will still be ignored like my emails to them.

Just giving you some options. I think the user SADOUN would most likely want to fix this as he owns the business. That is why I gave you his information to contact him. That being said I can understand you are frustrated.

Best case scenario - Sadoun fixes the problem :yes

Worst case scenario - Sell the reciever through the classified section :smug

I hope you are able to get some type of resolution. Good Luck!

Just to warn you - if you want captions, stay away from Pansat 3500s too. It can't do it properly either.

HI, Sorry to hear the receivers will not work out for you. Please email ashley@sadoun.com with an RMA request and she will send you an RMA # to send it back for a refund.

Whoever unswered your phone call probably didn't understand what a relay call is.

Thanks

I have been reading about CC in FTA receivers and seems like Coolsat is doing a good job. Can some of the lucky owners of one of those confirm this?

-Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts