Closed Captioning

mmpotash

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
I have an owned 942 and a deaf girlfriend. The CC on the 942 misses some of the dialogue when watched on my HD TV, but not when watched on my SD TV. Both are connected to the 942, HD on TV1 and SD on TV2. Do any others have this problem with CC?

Does the 622 have this problem?

I'm not sure CC is required on HD programming. Does your 942 get at least some of the dialog on -all- HD programming? Does the 942 record CC data on the DVR?

I have a ViP622. I'll try the CC feature tonight.

Well to check that you have all your bases covered....

Closed captioning for HDTVs is done by receivers and not the TV (except for the built in OTA source for TVs that have that)

so on your 942 you have to turn on the cc by going into the menu of the 942

Then secondly I believe that the HD only networks do not have cc for most if not all programing. The HD simulcast stations do though, so you should get it for abc,cbs,nbc,fox, espn1/2, tnt, hbo, showtime

Cc

I was told by Dish that CC on the HDTV must be via the 942, and that with the 942 the TV's CC is not usable. So, whether viewing HD or SD on my HDTV, I must use the receivers CC. There is no difference if viewing SD or HD on the HDTV. Even over the air broadcasts that are sent via the 942 have the same problem. So yes, I turned it on via the menu in the 942. The problem isn't that it doesn't work, it just ramdomly skips a few words here and there. But if I rewind a few seconds back, it oftens shows the missed parts and ramdomly skips other parts, or not. So it is recording all the CC on the hard drive, it just isn't projecting all of it on the HDTV.

mmpotash said:
I have an owned 942 and a deaf girlfriend. The CC on the 942 misses some of the dialogue when watched on my HD TV, but not when watched on my SD TV. Both are connected to the 942, HD on TV1 and SD on TV2. Do any others have this problem with CC?

Does the 622 have this problem?
I have a 622 and use CC all the time. I've about 50% hearing loss myself. Here's what I've determined from experience and various communications:

1. You have to configure CC with your receiver. This was true with the 811 and is also true with the 622. I don't know the story with the 942. It seems that you may know this if you're getting any at all on HD programming.

2. When using the 811, I sometimes had to momentarily change channels to bring back the corrected captioning. I believe that this was a receiver problem. Not an issue any more since I now use a 622. Now the captioning is pretty stable. At times the synchronizing of captioning to video is off but I think that this is the fault of the provider.

3. HD channels that I know show available CC are: TNTHD, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, HDNET, HBOHD and SHOWHD.. This is only if the provider has included captioning. DISCHD and the former VOOM channels do not have any content provided with CC, so far. This means that I'm paying for stuff (HD package) only half of my family can watch and enjoy.

4. The new local HD channels (ABC, NBC and CBS in San Diego) are not captioned, courtesy of Dish. The providers are including captioning content for rebroadcast per FCC regulations. Dish is supposed to pass on the captioning but, according to them, they have a software problem that they have to work out and hope to resolve "soon" (LOL).

I hope this helps. I understand the necessity of having the CC to enjoy programming.

... rab

Last edited:
Cc

This still does not answer the question of why CC is intermittent on my HDTV but not on my SDTV when both are via my 942 outputs.

Your 942 is glitchy. Return it or get a ViP622

I don't have that problem and I use CC always. I had minor issues with the 811 (bought one of the first) but don't have any difficulties with the 622 (so far, have had for about a month and a half ... replaced the 811). As long as the signal is retransmitted, you should see what you expect.

Does this answer your question?

... rab

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts