Closed Captions on HD receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

n4uaj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
I really need the cc to work for my wife is hard of hearing but it seems the H20 and the HR21 that I have seems to either jumble them up or not show them at all at times. Same programs on SD tivo in bedroom has no problems displaying them..Just wondering if anyone else has notice this problem.
Thanks

Bill

I really need the cc to work for my wife is hard of hearing but it seems the H20 and the HR21 that I have seems to either jumble them up or not show them at all at times. Same programs on SD tivo in bedroom has no problems displaying them..Just wondering if anyone else has notice this problem.
Thanks

Bill

Same here on all of my DVRs.

I have 2 HDDVR's a HR20-700 and 21-700, and they both have issues with the CC. I would say about 60% of the time, they are OK, but a constant is that if one word is in italics, it changes the whole display to italics. Also, it seems to block the CC signal from going to the TV, I have one with an HDMI and one with component, and niether one seem to be able to pick up the CC signal internally.

Thanks guys sounds like an issue we gotta live with..I did notice that when they start acting up really bad a red button reset helps for a while..probably not enuff people use em so dtv dont get that many complaints about it..guess i will call em up sometime when i got plenty of time to listen to the menu : )

Thanks guys sounds like an issue we gotta live with..I did notice that when they start acting up really bad a red button reset helps for a while..probably not enuff people use em so dtv dont get that many complaints about it..guess i will call em up sometime when i got plenty of time to listen to the menu : )

You can just Email them as well. Probably better than telling someone on the phone.

Isn't the CC info sent from the network? Wouldn't the problem be on their end? If CC works at least once on one show/network, then the CC system should be considered "functional", and therefore is a show-by-show issue.

We use CC for some shows, like "The Office" since there are often some comments under the breath of the actors that are quite funny, but with the volume at a respectable level, they are sometime impossible to hear. We don't want to wake the kids, so CC works there. But on the CSI we just watched tonight from two nights ago, the CC didn't work. Changed to something on NatGeo and it worked just fine. So for me, the problem goes from show to show and from network to network.

EDIT: I have 2 HR20-700's, both with HDMI hook-ups, and the "issue" is identical on both.

It must be the way the hd receivers decode it because on my sd dvr and a hughes sd receiver they come thru. I know this cause i have watched House on the hd with garbled cc then watched again with wife on sd dvr and they were flawless.

Not trying to be an apologist nor am I trying to be difficult, but is it still possible that the CC data that is carried in the HD stream from the network is different than the CC data embedded within the SD signal?

Either way (ideally) the decoder should be able to handle both just as well. But if each network has their own way of adding different effects, such as italics to indicate dialogue spoken by a character who is off-frame, then there could be some onus on the networks to come up with a "standards based" CC code (if one doesn't already exist) so that retrans companies can work off of one model to deliver the best possible end product.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)