ClubDISH questions

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
My parents are thinking about getting E* so last night I was over there talking over all the overly confusing monthly fees, package options, installation credits + fees, equipment options, and wiring schemes (my favorite part!) with my dad. I was thinking of giving them a ClubDISH certificate and was looking at the details of that, and have some questions.

We agreed one 625 and one 322 would suit them well. On the club dish information it states "Digital Video Recorder available at no additional up-front cost." So that means the $19.99 upgrade-to-625 fee will not be assessed, right?

Also, it says "qualifying programming purchase starts at just $29.99/month," I guess that's talking about Dish Latino w/locals? If not, then it's outdated, yet it does list the installation and activation deadline as 5/31/2005.

And just to clarify the upfront costs & credits: installation is free, activation is free, and they get $49.99 credit on the first bill. But that credit isn't to credit back an initial $49.99 activation payment, right? That payment is waived entirely? So, in other words, they just come out $49.99 "ahead" after everything is complete?

The reason I'm asking such basic questions is because (a) you have to admit, all of this can get pretty confusing, and (b) I've read contradictory information on a few things. For example, and I can't remember where exactly, but in two different places on their website I saw two different terms listed for the "AT180 at AT120 price for 3 months" deal: one said 12 month commitment, the other said 24 month commitment. Also, I remember reading on here not long ago about the duration of ClubDISH $5 credits only lasting 5 months or so, yet the information on their site still lists 12 months (at least in the places I've looked).

One last question, unrelated to ClubDISH... my parents should be getting a SuperDish, 625, and 322. Does standard install include the DP+44 switch yet? Or if not, could we request it (or would that incur additional charges)?

Actually I printed it as a "virtual gift certificate" from their website--so, it was literally generated and printed today (I guess I should have mentioned that above). :)

oh well ok. But they'll still be paying 31.99

I don't really know much about the whole 625 upgrade deal thing.

The new club dish rules, are a limit of 5 refferal credits at once, versus the old 12. They didn't change the credit length like we read about earlier.

I think the standard switch for superdish is still a DP34 but you probably can request a DPP44, they may or may not charge extra, they've dropped the price that installers pay for using them so you might get a deal.

I think the 3 months deals are like this:

AT180 for AT60, no commitment

AEP for AT120, 12 month commitment

Thanks BFG, for your input.

I decided to give E* a call about it just to see what they say. As I was expecting, not too much more clarification. He did confidently claim that the 625 upgrade will still cost $19.99 in spite of what the certificate I generated and printed today from the website says. I told him they need to update that, to which he replied something about relaying the information along for me...

Anyways, some other interesting dialogue from the conversation:
(me) "Is the DP+44 included in a standard install of 2 dual-tuner receivers?"
(him) "Yes, everything is included."
(me) "Um, ok, so that everything means now they are using DP+44 in cases like these?"
(him) "Yup everything that's needed to install those 2 dual-tuner receivers will be included."
(me) "Ok, but, in that case only the DP34 is really needed for hookup of two dual-tuner receivers."
(him) "Right, the DP34 will be included."
(me) "So not the DP+44 then?"
(him) "Correct."
:rolleyes:

I don't have the energy or time for CSR roulette right now...

TuxCoder said:
Thanks BFG, for your input.

I decided to give E* a call about it just to see what they say. As I was expecting, not too much more clarification. He did confidently claim that the 625 upgrade will still cost $19.99 in spite of what the certificate I generated and printed today from the website says. I told him they need to update that, to which he replied something about relaying the information along for me...

Anyways, some other interesting dialogue from the conversation:
(me) "Is the DP+44 included in a standard install of 2 dual-tuner receivers?"
(him) "Yes, everything is included."
(me) "Um, ok, so that everything means now they are using DP+44 in cases like these?"
(him) "Yup everything that's needed to install those 2 dual-tuner receivers will be included."
(me) "Ok, but, in that case only the DP34 is really needed for hookup of two dual-tuner receivers."
(him) "Right, the DP34 will be included."
(me) "So not the DP+44 then?"
(him) "Correct."
:rolleyes:

I don't have the energy or time for CSR roulette right now...

I think they should just teach all CSRs to answer all questions "yesno" with an occasional "noyes" just to really confuse people.

For two 2-tuner receivers, all that's needed is a DP+ Twin LNB. The internal switch works like a DP+44, so you just need one cable into the house for each receiver, and a DPP Separator on the end of each cable, that splits it into two lines at the receiver.

Then again, the Superdish might complicate things. The above would be true for the Dish 500.

Check Dishstore.net

Yeah, that's why I'm only asking about the DP+44, not the DP+ Twin. I know they will need a SuperDish. :)

Not sure if this helps any but I talked to a friend toiday that was doing a SuperDish mover and he was putting in a DP+44 that Dish included for the customer at no charge. If I may ask.. is there no way to run additional cables to the reciever locations?? Why the need for a DP+44??

No need, just I was trying to reduce the number of holes that need punched in their walls. I'm wanting to use the existing jacks for distribution of the 2nd tuners (at least for the 625). So, at least two new holes need punched, one for each receiver, and with no DPP hardware, four new holes need punched. :(

Hey Tux...I know on my recent SD installs the DP+44 switch isn't the default switch. But I've been able to sucessfully modify EVERY workorder and add-on the DP+44 at no cost to the customer. It will show up on the 1st billing as a $200 charge and THEN a $200 credit. Not sure the exact reason why. Probably with the way accounting handles such transactions.

Any installer who really doesn't want to spend the extra hour or so running new lines would probably be happy to use that switch. As long as he can justify the "keeping the customer happy" and "aesthetically pleasing" aspect, the installer should have no prob getting it modified

webbydude said:
Hey Tux...I know on my recent SD installs the DP+44 switch isn't the default switch. But I've been able to sucessfully modify EVERY workorder and add-on the DP+44 at no cost to the customer. It will show up on the 1st billing as a $200 charge and THEN a $200 credit. Not sure the exact reason why. Probably with the way accounting handles such transactions.

Any installer who really doesn't want to spend the extra hour or so running new lines would probably be happy to use that switch. As long as he can justify the "keeping the customer happy" and "aesthetically pleasing" aspect, the installer should have no prob getting it modified
I had a service tech out here on Sunday because my DP+44 was on the fritz. Of course, he immediately left because he didnt have a DP+44 on the truck...even though I told them not to even bother coming out without one. Anyhow, he told me they arent allowed to carry them anymore because they were using too many of them because it made the install so much easier. Just about every install they do now is for dual-tuner boxes.

Tuxcoder - when they call to confirm your appoinment, mention to them that all the cable is ran to a central location and that there is no way to run new cable to the T.V. locations, and that you will need the DP+44 That way the installer should be supplied with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)