Clueless in Miami!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gomoso

Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Miami, Florida
Hello, :)

I was hoping I could get some feedback from you all kind folks for some hints to figure out what the heck is going on with my setup! :confused:

I have an FTA receiver (Microyal MRX-900, not yet updated, meaning it still has original factory s/w) set up with a fixed oval antenna with two LNBs.

I have two more antennas that I disconnected to convert a bigger problem into a few smaller ones. Set one at a time.

I'm first trying to receive signals from an "easy bird", or so I think, Telstar 5 aka Galaxy 25 from Miami (25.58.13N/80.9.37W): 97W 54ele. I use SAA software to check for this and some extra info like: TP3 has a FTA v-signal at 3757.

I bought an SF-99 to fine tune it and it appears to be very close,i.e. it peaks outside. But when I try to channel-scan my receiver signal never goes over 66.

So, several questions arise:
Are these the correct LNBs for this FTA receiver?
How do I know when to choose between normal, universal, LNBFs?

Antenna setup calls for 16 antennas. I assume it is one and use #1.
Then there are two freqs for LNB1 and LNB2!?
Tone can be set to None,0, or 22k. I've tried them all.
Now DisEqC has none and ports A thru D. I've tried one and A. And with one antenna trials I've kept it off.
Then just to make sure there is pandemonium there is a C/Ku band control with none and 0/22k. :confused:

Then for channel search a new page opens with:
Antenna. I use 1 (out of a possible 16).
Transponder. Used 1 then 3.
Freq. I used for Tp3 3757.
Symbol rate I've ignored. Don't know what to do with it!
Polarization I've used H and V. For Tp 3 I used V.
Then last but now least there is again the 22k deal?! :eek:

Now stir gently with mango and papaya juice and you get a hand pumped water well!

Clueless!
PS: Pls don't tell me to read the manual. I did. It is in English, written or tranlated from Chinese!
And I used to think that Japanese manuals were bad!
Help! :(

I have an FTA receiver (Microyal MRX-900, not yet updated, meaning it still has original factory s/w) set up with a fixed oval antenna with two LNBs.
what size is the dish? IS there any writing on the LNB's?

I'm first trying to receive signals from an "easy bird", or so I think, Telstar 5 aka Galaxy 25 from Miami (25.58.13N/80.9.37W): 97W 54ele. I use SAA software to check for this and some extra info like: TP3 has a FTA v-signal at 3757.
that TP you chose is C_Band...there should be one that says either 12152 or 12177...pick that

I bought an SF-99 to fine tune it and it appears to be very close,i.e. it peaks outside. But when I try to channel-scan my receiver signal never goes over 66.
the signal doesn't matter...its quality that counts :)

So, several questions arise:
Are these the correct LNBs for this FTA receiver?
don't know...again is there any writing on them?

How do I know when to choose between normal, universal, LNBFs?
we need to know the LNB info. UNiversal will say it on the LNB...otherwise its standard

Antenna setup calls for 16 antennas. I assume it is one and use #1.
yep that works
Then there are two freqs for LNB1 and LNB2!?
IF its a standard, both should be 10750
Tone can be set to None,0, or 22k. I've tried them all.
none
Now DisEqC has none and ports A thru D. I've tried one and A. And with one antenna trials I've kept it off.
off
Then just to make sure there is pandemonium there is a C/Ku band control with none and 0/22k. :confused:
off
Then for channel search a new page opens with:
Antenna. I use 1 (out of a possible 16).
Transponder. Used 1 then 3.
Freq. I used for Tp3 3757.
Symbol rate I've ignored. Don't know what to do with it!
Polarization I've used H and V. For Tp 3 I used V.
Then last but now least there is again the 22k deal?! :eek:

Now stir gently with mango and papaya juice and you get a hand pumped water well!

Clueless!
PS: Pls don't tell me to read the manual. I did. It is in English, written or tranlated from Chinese!
And I used to think that Japanese manuals were bad!
Help! :(
the manuals suck..plain and simple

I had a box that was very similar to it (KUSat 2600)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/33000-kusat-2600-a.html

there are some pictures there (the camera I had sucked so its tough to see)

But for sake of argument, lets set this up first
in the antenna setup set it up as such
Antenna 1
Type FIXED
Satellite TELSTAR 5
LNB Type NORMAL (again we need to know the LNB first)
LNB Freq 1 10750
LNB Freq 2 10750
0/12 volt NONE
22k NONE
Diseqc NONE
C/KU Band NONE

and save

Then go into the 2nd option (Channel Search)
It should show Antenna 1 and Telstar 5 as satellite...scroll down to TP2 and hit EDIT (I think its the red button) and enter this info

Frequency 12177
Symbol Rate 23000
Polariztion Ver
22K leave as is

then save it...I thinkits red button again...that info should stick. Then aim the dish SLOWLY..when the satellite is hit the quality bar isnt spazzy and should turn yellow...then you are locked on the satellite. Fine tune for optimum performance :)

If you need a housecall, post a response or PM me and we could work something out. Always willing to help a neighbor.

EDIT: Obviously I live locally.

Last edited:
Iceberg,
Tow things before I go out and climb the ladder. Page one 0/12 Off/! Second page 22k leave as is should be off correct? Sorry. This is a humbleling experience. So far no yellow quality. But channel scan works a whole lot faster. Many thnx.

techno935,
Many thanks for that offer. Pls PM me. Pompano is 20 m from here w good traffic. Pls let me know your rates. Many thnx.

Iceberg,

Ok. My bad. The dish is an 18"x20" DirectTV WNC multisatellite. It actually has three LNBs! It says it has a built in switch. Model number AU2-F1. It is new. A $5 flea-market special. Or so I thought.

with that dish... You might possibly be able to get Nasa, and Gol Tv, which is on an Echostar at 119w... (a dish network satellite) but that's probably about it... other than some demo channels on other dish network satellites... real fta on ku linear requires bigger dish than that. The echostars only require 18" dish since their signals are circular instead of linear and they have stronger signals. I think they did that on purpose to keep normal subscribers of dishnetwork, express vu and direct tv from being able to easily access the other satellites since they'd be able to see just how much real free stuff is up there and they'd have less of a need to buy a subscription

There is no harm in fiddling with this to test it out and find signals on 119w. That's what I did with an old 18" dish and my pansat receiver before I went ahead and bought a bigger dish. Nasa IS worth watching because there's usually some pretty interesting things on there.

Is that this dish ?
...otherwise known as a DirecTV Phase III dish . . .

If so, we have some previous discussions of how to get just a couple of circular FTA channels with it...
...and later in that thread, we did a modification mounting a linear LNB on one, for reception of just a few of the very strong regular FTA channels.

As MasterMesh says above, it will whet your appetite, and give you some experience with setting up your receiver.
However, the setup will be somewhat diffferent than IceBerg described above, due to the mis-information about the dish/LNB.

Anole,Mastermesh,Iceberg,
Yup. That's the culprit alright!
I'll do as you suggested. I'll fiddle with it a bitjust to see if I can. Meanwhile I'll start looking for an FTA kit.
Many thanks to all. Sine qua non.

Thnx.

I think only 1 of those LNBs on the phase III can get all the TPs. I can't remember which LNB it is cause I never bothered to mess with the phase III. Try for 119 to get NASA. 119 used to be kewl cause there we're dozens of music channels, now they're all scrambled. Make sure your L.O. is 11250 and then try to receive 12.370 Ghz for NASA. Check out those previous posts on the Phase III discussion. Stand by for a PM.

The only one of a Phase III that will work is the 101 LNB (if you are behind the dish its the far right one...when working with multiple LNB's, they go backwards from how they are in the sky.

The middle LNB is useless and the left one (the 119 one) only works with transponders 22-32 (DirecTV ones)...

I installed one of these on a boat house last week for a friend of mine. His DirecTV dish was knocked off the roof by a thunderstorm, and wanted to reinstall it in a position more suitable to feed the boat's entertainment center. That was my first experience aiming a Phase III... his DirecTV receiver made it pretty easy to aim :)

It is, however, next to useless on anything other than a subbed DirecTV system...

Iceberg mastermesh,Anole,

Well...
I'm trying for that NASA on Echostar7 with this PIII. I changed the LNB to the one on the right. Set ele & alz. SAA says it is on TP11 at 12370. I set the SR at 20k. Tried several LO values but no go (10750 & 11300).
And yes I am looking into getting a larger dish. But meanwhile...

Should I just throw some lighter fluid on it and use it as a BBQ? If it were a bit heavier I could offer it as a boat anchor but...

Where in the heck do you guys get all the info? I mean, yeah, experience can't be bought at the corner store, but someway, somehow, there must be a little cheat sheet or something?! Right? That way the newbies don't ask so much the same silly questions.

Not that I haven't been reading the threads. Hummmm...

Thnx.

OK..for 119 here is what we need to do. 1st the dish

1. change the skew on the back of the dish to 90 so all 3 LNB's are in a straight line (skew makes the dish turn like a steering wheel) :)
2. The elevation for 119 for Miami is 38. This is the up down of the dish
3. Azimuth (where to aim in the sky) is around 246...if behind the dish this is the RIGHT LNB we are using. 270 is dead east so this is SSW to west

Now on the reciever set up is a smidge different. Using my info from the earlier post, I have hilited the changes

Antenna 1
Type FIXED
Satellite DISH 119 (Echostar 7 whatever its called)
LNB Type NORMAL
LNB Freq 1 11250
LNB Freq 2 11250
0/12 volt NONE
22k NONE
Diseqc NONE
C/KU Band NONE

and save

Then go into the 2nd option (Channel Search)
It should show Antenna 1 and Dish119 as satellite...scroll down to WHATEVER TRANSPONDER SHOWS 12370 It should be set as such

Frequency 12370
Symbol Rate 20000
Polariztion Ver
22K leave as is

then aim the dish slowly...again the bar should turn yellow when you hit hit that satellite. Now once the bar turns yellow, hit "menu" and there should be an option to "scan all". We want ot scan all so we can verify what satellite you are on. Reason is 110 is only 9 degrees away and also has channels with the same info.

If you just want one sat, throw that molded LNB away, get yourself a cheap DSS lnb, insert it right into the arm, bolt it up, and aim away. Works like a champ. I used one for awhile on 119.

I'm working on another Phase 3 with one of those good-ship-lollipop adaptors the hacker types use, gonna try for 110/119 for whatever FTA is there, GOL,NASA music, whatever. ;)

sounds good to me

11250 did't do it either.

Well, 11250 is the right answer.

Due to the fact that your dish is "looking" 9º to one side, try slowly panning it clockwise (looking down on it from above) 9º from the recommended direction.
If that doesn't do it, change the elevation 2º up or down, and try again.
You should find a signal.
119 is one strong beast.
All the DBS satellites are.

Guys,
We are viewing NASA!!!! Yeah! I just decided to move the dish and disregard the compass. And I was right. My bearing was way off. I was looking way South. Fantastic.
Thank you all very much. I'm going to explore this receiver a bit more.
Wow. Can't believe it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.