CM 9521 Rotor Problem

DaveO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Hope someone can help. I've got a Channel Master 9521 antenna rotor about 30 ft up with 4 sets of guy wires. The rotor has had little use. I went to use it the other day and thought I'd start by "syncing" it. Well, it went all the way clockwise and now won't come back. The control box will go from 000 to 360 degrees but the rotor doesn't move.

I've got two of the digital control boxes and both do the same thing without moving the rotor. I used 3-wire rotor wire (not flat) to wire it originally.

Anyone have an idea of how to test something here, or what I can do?

Dave

DaveO said:
Hope someone can help. I've got a Channel Master 9521 antenna rotor about 30 ft up with 4 sets of guy wires. The rotor has had little use. I went to use it the other day and thought I'd start by "syncing" it. Well, it went all the way clockwise and now won't come back. The control box will go from 000 to 360 degrees but the rotor doesn't move.

I've got two of the digital control boxes and both do the same thing without moving the rotor. I used 3-wire rotor wire (not flat) to wire it originally.

Anyone have an idea of how to test something here, or what I can do?

Dave

Is it possible that the antenna came loose from the rotor and the rotor did move ?
You say you don't use it much, could it be froze up ?

What happens if you hit the resync buttons again ?
Look and see if it is moving at all.

I've got the 9537 but it should still work the same
Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Is it possible that the antenna came loose from the rotor and the rotor did move ?
You say you don't use it much, could it be froze up ?

What happens if you hit the resync buttons again ?

I've got the 9537 but it should still work the same
Jimbo

I'll have to check tomorrow, but when it turned all the way in one direction, the box was not moving, just the antenna.

The control box syncs, but the antenna/rotor doesn't move at all.

There is one large capacitor in the control box that chages the phase of the voltage going to the motor. This is how it know to go clockwise or counter clockwise. If the control box is old, this might have gone bad. Be carefull, this is a non-polarised capacitor and is not easy to find. ***WARNING THERE ARE LETHAL VOLTAGES INSIDE THE CONTROL BOX... LEAVE THE REPAIR TO QUALIFIED PERSONAL*** The other cause could be a stripped gear in the motor.

Larry1 said:
There is one large capacitor in the control box that chages the phase of the voltage going to the motor. This is how it know to go clockwise or counter clockwise. If the control box is old, this might have gone bad. Be carefull, this is a non-polarised capacitor and is not easy to find. ***WARNING THERE ARE LETHAL VOLTAGES INSIDE THE CONTROL BOX... LEAVE THE REPAIR TO QUALIFIED PERSONAL*** The other cause could be a stripped gear in the motor.

I took the small control box apart. Nothing appeared overheated, etc. I then took it to a friends who has a channel master rotor and it worked with that rotor. So, I either have a broken wire somewhere on the mast (way the heck up there), or the (new) rotor is bad. It has had very little use, but that doesn't mean anything. Of course I'm hoping for the wire being bad. Now to figure how I'm going to reach the bottom of the rotor to swap the wire. Wish I had a cherry picker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)