CM7000PAL - 2nd Tuner - Can it be set up to watch separately in another room like a Dish 722k?

DJH

Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
USA
Forgive me if this question has been asked before. I did search. :)

Does anyone know if the Channel Master CM7000PAL has the ability like the Dish Network vip722k DVR to allow a second TV to view the second tuner separately in a different room?

For example, with my VIP 722k, I can watch TV upstairs, while my wife can watch her recorded soaps in the basement from the same receiver via the modulator setup within the 722k. She just turns the basement TV to channel 60 and then she's got control of Tuner 2 in the 722k, while I can watch a live or recorded show upstairs on Tuner 1. I'm cutting the cord close to the end of the month with Dish (just going to watch OTA locals), and just wondering if the CM7000PAL has the same functionality.

I've been looking at other alternatives (I don't want any monthly fees, so Tivo is out) as well, but I just wanted to get this particular question answered before I go further.

Thanks

My understanding is that it's a single output DVR. You can hook up all the outputs, or split them. But all outlets will be viewing the same channel.

no

The CM 7000 (which is really just a rebadged DTVPal DVR...had one then sold it) allows you to record two items but only has one output....it would be like a Directv DVR or on the dish side a 612 (dual tuner single output)

you can record two items and watch one prerecorded at same time but there is no "separate" output like the 722

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a Lite-On LVW-5045 lying around, and an SDTV in the basement. I have a 13" SDTV in the kids room as well, and I stuck a CM-7000 D2A converter box on that. I think I might just get another one of those boxes, stick it on the basement SDTV and allow the Lite-On to do the recording of the one soap my wife watches. For the living room I might go with the CM7000PAL. I really like that it *almost* looks and acts like my 722k. I've read about the CM7000PAL and after all the reading and weighing the pros and cons of it, I think I might get the CM7000PAL anyway for the living room for the HDTV set. After all the reading I've done so far, I haven't seen an all in one box like this that carries no monthly fees. I don't really care about all the bells and whistles as far as a nice guide goes. Just give me a CM7000PAL or another all in one box that's comparable with a minimal guide that can record by show name and I'll be happy. Thanks again guys....

note that the CM7000/DTVPal DVR does not have name based recording like the 722 does. When you set up timers for say weekly shows you would set it up to record a time each week...not record by a show.

So if you say record CBS from 9 to 10 on Tuesday each week. If next week its a rerun, it would record. If it runs to 10:02 it will stop early unless you fix the timer.
It does have the "start 1 min early end 3 min late" option

Thanks Ice. I wish that it was possible to buy a 722 off eBay or something, stick an OTA module in it, and use it. I know that's been covered a lot in the forums that you can't record unless your receiver is activated. I haven't did any research on cable boxes to see if they are the same, but my guess is that the answer would be yes. I could do a Windows 7 Media Center. I've done that before, but am skeptical about how HD would look coming from the computer. I guess the card used would have HDMI coming out of it instead of just attaching RGB from your PC to the TV? Does HD coming out of a computer card with HDMI look the same as it would coming from a set top box?

I had a tuner card in my HTPC until the computer bit the dust a few weeks ago and yes the HD from the computer via HDMI looks just like it does using a set top box. it is nice that you can also stream from the network websites to your tv if you want with the computer. I also have one of the DTVpal DVR's and it works great too.

Samsung SIR-TS360 time set

OTA cable question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)