CNBC in HD ? (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
1,973
0
pbrown said:
And by the way, the NCAA has no TV contracts. TV contracts are made with conferences and individual schools. That is why, for instance, ABC always has Pac-10 games, and CBS has SEC games. It has nothing to do with the NCAA.

Oh really?

And which conference signs the contract with CBS for the NCAA finals.

ROFLMAO.
 

pbrown

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 26, 2003
87
0
West Coast
HDTVFanAtic said:
Oh really?

And which conference signs the contract with CBS for the NCAA finals.

ROFLMAO.


Sorry, I thought we were talking about College Football. If you would like to have a more thorough understanding of why the NCAA does not have ownership of football TV contracts, you can read this story:

http://www.ncaa.org/news/1999/19991206/active/3625n36.html

Even more information, including what conferences are signed with which networks, is located here at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_on_television

For more clarification, the NCAA owns TV contracts for its own tournaments only. If there was a college football playoff, they would own the rights to it. For all sports, regular season and conference tournament TV rights are owned by individual conferences and schools.

So there's your College TV Contract 101 lesson for today, and sorry to have hijacked this thread!
 
Last edited:

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
1,973
0
pbrown said:
Sorry, I thought we were talking about College Football. If you would like to have a more thorough understanding of why the NCAA does not have ownership of football TV contracts, you can read this story:

http://www.ncaa.org/news/1999/19991206/active/3625n36.html

Even more information, including what conferences are signed with which networks, is located here at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_on_television

For more clarification, the NCAA owns TV contracts for its own tournaments only. If there was a college football playoff, they would own the rights to it. For all sports, regular season and conference tournament TV rights are owned by individual conferences and schools.

So there's your College TV Contract 101 lesson for today, and sorry to have hijacked this thread!

Thank you for the wikipedia reference.

As I worked in Network Sports on the Management side for several years, I think I have a pretty good first hand understanding of the negotiation process as well is what the final contract approval really entails.
 
Last edited:

drjdan

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 12, 2006
167
0
Dallas, TX
HDTVFanAtic said:
2012 - 2015 would be my estimate based on facts.

What facts are you talking about?

Why do you feel it would take so long for them to go HD since they are primarly studio based?
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

David Dietzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 21, 2004
371
0
Rancho Cucamonga
Everything is evolving toward HD.

By the end of the decade I'm sure all the most popular channels will be HD with most actually shot with HD cameras.

CNBC is not near the top of my HD channel wish list, tho, but to each his own!
 

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
1,973
0
drjdan said:
What facts are you talking about?

Why do you feel it would take so long for them to go HD since they are primarly studio based?

Bandwidth.

No Cable Company or any other MSO wants to give HD Bandwidth to this channel that most viewers watch on their computer or in an office.

They don't give a rats *** about HD. If you are watching CNBC for picture quality, then you aren't their audience.

It will take about 10 years for the MSO to get that much bandwidth that they can give something like CNBC that much room on their system.

Quite frankly, we will hit a crunch time with HDTV in the current Satellite Distribution system unless MPEG4 Distribution becomes the norm.

There are over 100 channels that would benefit from HD long before CNBC and thats where the MSOs would be more interested in going.

Another reason why CNBC-HD is 7-10 years off.

And if there is no room on the system and the audience doesn't demand it, there is no reason to do it
 

kb7oeb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2004
1,261
0
Phoenix,Arizona
Best you could hope for anytime soon is a 480 widescreen, maybe progressive. I think more channels will go widescreen in the future so they don't look deformed on widescreen sets. They could just do anamorphic widescreen on the existing channels.
 
Last edited:

drjdan

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 12, 2006
167
0
Dallas, TX
When you say 480 widescreen, do you mean they would record a 480 widescreen picture. That would be fine for a start. When I watch SD digtal OTA local news, I use the Partial Zoom to fill the wide screen TV, but of course you have some picture loss and distortion. So if they would just film in 480 widescreen, that would be a start. With the quality of the SD OTA digal signal the picture is very good in comparision to old SD. I know in Dallas, WFAA ABC, one of their technicians point out that all there equipment is digital, but they are still sending out in 4:3 vs. 16:9 for local broadcasting.
 

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
1,973
0
drjdan said:
When you say 480 widescreen, do you mean they would record a 480 widescreen picture.

Think Fox pre-2005.

24 was widescreen in 480, but not HD (of course one can argue its not in HD now either).

480 can be widescreen.

Most news operations as they move HD are just planning on doing 16:9 480 for remote locations as well.
 

kb7oeb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2004
1,261
0
Phoenix,Arizona
I was thinking more like how Fox does Cops and its Sunday morning shows in 480p widescreen. That shouldn't strain the current system nearly as much as all HD. They might also just start doing more letterbox on the existing channels but I really hate watching stuff that way. I think it wastes too much resolution on the black bars
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top