CNBC says E* to get MLB Extra Innings

My sources say the MLB EI deal with DirecTV is not exclusive but other carriers need to match the DirecTV deal which probably means the same HD carriage and adding the MLB channel in 2009.

My sources say the MLB EI deal with DirecTV is not exclusive but other carriers need to match the DirecTV deal which probably means the same HD carriage and adding the MLB channel in 2009.

It means committing to carrying The Baseball Network, which premieres in 2009, in their base programming package, the same arrangement that DirecTV made.

(Multichannel News) _ DirecTV and Major League Baseball cut a seven-year rights deal that gives the top direct-broadcast satellite provider rights to the MLB Extra Innings http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6421281.html out-of-market subscription game package, but the league said cable operators, EchoStar Communications and other DirecTV rivals can still sell the package to subscribers if they agree to launch MLB's new cable TV network.

Under the agreement, announced late Thursday, DirecTV will take a minority stake in MLB Channel, set to debut in 2009.

While observers had expected for weeks that MLB would sell exclusive rights to Extra Innings to DirecTV, the league said DirecTV rivals will still be able to market the package to their pay TV customers if the incumbents "agree to carriage rights to the MLB Channel proportionally equivalent to DirecTV's commitment."

The move essentially squeezes EchoStar and cable operators. Since DirecTV agreed to distribute the channel on its basic tier, the only way Time Warner Cable, Comcast and other DirecTV rivals could obtain access to Extra Innings and MLB Channel is if they also agree to launch the channel on their basic tiers.

"Should the incumbents decide not to match DirecTV's commitment, the MLB Extra Innings package will be exclusive to DirecTV," the league and the DBS provider wrote in a joint announcement.

MLB said deals with incumbents hoping to carry Extra Innings and MLB Channel also must be finalized by the end of the month.

Cable operators have previously fought the idea of carrying niche sports channels on their most widely distributed tiers, as was demonstrated last year, when NFL Network pushed cable operators to place the channel on basic tiers.

Copyright The Associated Press 2006. All Rights Reserved

Update: MLB and DirecTV's seven-year Extra Innings deal, announced in a 4:15 ET conference call, is being re-offered to Extra Innings' incumbents—EchoStar and In Demand's cable operator owners (Comcast, Time Warner, Cox and Advance/Newhouse)—to match by Mar. 31. That means no opportunity at this point in time for other operators or telcos (Verizon or AT&T) to participate. The terms to participate through the end of this month include agreeing to the same rate structure and carriage requirements (to launch the MLB Channel on a basic tier, as DirecTV will offer to more than 15 million subscribers, in 2009) for the duration of the DirecTV/MLB contract. DirecTV is investing "millions" to expand its MLB Extra Innings options to include a game mosaic channel, a Strike Zone Channel that takes viewers to live cut-ins of MLB games in progress at key points; detailed player and team stats, real-time scores and live updates from other games; and offer MLB Extra Innings in HD next year. The deal does not affect MLB's national agreements with FOX, TBS, and ESPN, nor local game telecasts. DirecTV also took a minority state in the MLB Channel. [Release]

Earlier: DirecTV's exclusive deal with MLB for the Extra Innings out-of-market package is "imminent" and expected today, according to the Los Angeles Times. MLB had rejected counteroffers from cable-backed In Demand and rival satellite provider EchoStar, while the FCC is still reviewing the proposal. Rob Jacobson, the pres/CEO of In Demand who help craft the original non-exclusive Extra Innings package when he was at DirecTV, called the exclusive deal (which is still before the FCC for review) "stunning in its disregard for baseball fans." EchoStar stated, "The line has been crossed. On behalf of more than 13 million Dish Network subscribers, EchoStar is taking a stand on sports exclusives. When our customers are suddenly cut off from watching their favorite sports teams on TV, it is time to ask whether the market is working. This is both anti-competitive and anti-consumer." Baseball's regular season begins Apr. 1. [LAT]

Lets see if I got this correct... (The below is my OPINION)

Last year Dish paid $28 million for the MLB package (these numbers are from memory) and now DirecTV has this new deal reported to be at $700 million, which is for 7 years, so that $100 million a year.

Now MLB has said Dish and Cable can have the Extra Innings package if the match DirecTV's deal.

So if my number of $28 million is correct that means it will cost Dish $71 million more to carry the package. Who pays this price increase? YOU GOT IT, the customers do.

MLB is trying to make it sound like they are being good guys in this by making the offer open to all, when in reality they are making the package more expensive for all.

MLB says that if Dish and the cable companies dont pony up then its their own fault.

MLB says that if Dish and the Cable companies don't pony up then they are not being fan firendly.

Look in the mirror Major League Baseball, the only one is not being fan friendly in this is YOU. You would love it if Dish and the cable companies paid, as its more money in your fat wallets.

From where I sit this is EXTORSION by Major League Baseball.

I say its time to end the anti trust exemption for Major League Baseball.

I say call Major League Baseball and Commisioner Bud Selig at 212-931-7878 and tell then your not supporting Major League Baseball because the only ball they know how to play is FOUL.

Last edited:
Scott, part of that $700M might include D*'s interest and development of the new MLB channel and not just the rights to the games.

They unfortunately would break that down, and in fact a reporter asked about why should other providers pay when DirecTV is doing other exclusive stuff and how would they handle it, and they funmbled with an answer (its my feeling they know none of the other companies will pay that much) and they said they were not sure how they would handle that, and then they yelled at the reporters for asking thse take it or leave it questions.

This is a VERY Anti Fan Deal. (Of course this is my opinion) you might feel this is the greatest thing since sliced bagels. :)

I agree Scott and left a message saying that I'm noy supporting MLB.This is anti-consumer and the anti-trust exemption should be pulled from MLB immediately.This is extortion at it's best from MLB and Direct TV.How they expect anybody to cut a deal this close to the deadline.Please pull anti-trust exemption from MLB now.

The only chance I see Dish getting this package is to piss off Directv.

Dish is in a Catch 22 on this...

If they pay the $700 million then MLB wins, but at the same time its a major blow to Directv because they could have gotten it for alot cheaper if they would have not tried to get exclusive rights

If they don't pay, then Directv wins because they also get exclusive rights!

If you want MLB Extra Innings on Dish Network I would advise everyone to e-mail Dish Network at :

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customer_service/contact_us/email/index.asp

or you can write :

ceo@echostar.com

They only have three weeks to cut a deal to keep MLB Extra Innings on Dish. Let them know you want it. I wrote ceo@echostar.com and got a nice response back saying they will look into it. Let Charlie know if you want him to keep the package.

You're not too familiar with Charlie are you?

I find the comments about extorsion and overcharging and others to be interesting.

The fact of the matter is it isn't extorsion by any stretch. MLB has a product that people apparently want. They had a television agreement that expired. Their peer/competitor (NFL) has this nifty little deal with a satellite company that gets them a lot of money. That same satellite company comes to you and offers you at least what amounts to a doubling in your money intake AND an infusion to get you a dedicated baseball channel.

Hmmm... should I say No? Well - probably not if I want to grow my business. So I say yes. Then I do something which I probably don't have to do which is open this up to the competitors to join. Maybe they don't like the price, maybe they don't like carrying the channel. Whatever their reasons, they don't have to take it.

But the fact remains, D* offered more to MLB than they could get from the past deals. AND there is still the chance InDemand or others will match, further increasing the deal MLB gets. How is MLB being an extortionist or otherwise doing something bad? The fact remains this will still be one of the LOWEST price per game deals out there.

The price was going to go up no matter what deal was struck. The fact that D* sees potential and up'd the ante should be encouraging to all baseball fans. I agree with MLB, if E* and InDemand don't see as much value in MLB as D* does (for whatever reason) - it is between the customers of E* and cable and not between you and MLB or D*. If you support baseball that much, you should support the companies that believe in and support MLB. If you can't get D*, that is unfortunate, please try MLB.TV. If you don't like that option or don't have high speed internet, than you truly are the unfortunate loser in the economics of this deal.

Chris

OK - I'm done. Sorry for the long ranting post.

Once agin, Charlie can do an endaround deal like he did with the distants.

Announce he is coming out with a receiver that will allow you to view streaming content over the web. (Even if it takes a year or so to deliver, the vaporware alone should slow the exodus from hardcore baseball fans). Then say that subscribers can cut their own deal with mlb.tv to view the channels on their receivers. Most don't have media PCs hooked up to their TVs, so this would be a great way to cut the legs out from under D*'s deal if they don't want to pay the higher price..

Once agin, Charlie can do an endaround deal like he did with the distants.

Announce he is coming out with a receiver that will allow you to view streaming content over the web. (Even if it takes a year or so to deliver, the vaporware alone should slow the exodus from hardcore baseball fans). Then say that subscribers can cut their own deal with mlb.tv to view the channels on their receivers. Most don't have media PCs hooked up to their TVs, so this would be a great way to cut the legs out from under D*'s deal if they don't want to pay the higher price..

Actually the 622 could do that.

The question is will MLB let dish receivers access the internet content. But thats another battle for another day. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)