CNN: DOJ approves merger

Satellite radio is indirectly in competition with regular radio, iPods, etc. I have a choice when it comes to my listening entertainment needs.

Exactly correct.
You can pay for exclusive content, or listen to your Ipod, or listen to crappy radio. I for one, hate the FCC, and hate regular radio.

If they go up too much in price in the "future" and become unreasonable, then people will leave. They won't because they need customers, not the other way around. They don't have the hundreds of millions of listeners that the regular radio station companies have at their disposal.

Radio is in direct competition with Satellite radio. Here in Chicago where HD Radio Rocks, they have been heavily marketing HD radio. Most car dealers are now throwing in HD radio and has agreements with local stations to get these units in cars. If HD Radio is done right, it really competes with satellite radio as its free and there is no monthly subscription involved. Most of the Hidden stations within HD radio are commercial free.

I has XM in my truck, but just recently got a new Avenger with sirius free for 1yr. This is good news, because even though sirius has better content over all i do miss the Boneyard on XM. Git er done FCC!!:D

They will keep both channel lineups. You can choose....well I don't feel like even wasting my time.

[...]

Simple fact, all channels will remain. You get CHOICE.

This appears to be mostly true. Existing programming should mostly remain, but my reading of the press-releases online notices language such as "the best of" both sets of programming available to everyone, but the complete Sirius programming may not be available to people using existing XM radios just as the complete XM radio slate might not be available to everyone using a Sirius radio. See: http://www.siriusmerger.com/uploads/ala-cart-Press-Rel-7-23-07.pdf

That said: it appears that existing customers should benefit from more choices of programming and should retain a service "similar" to what they currently have, at the same price. From the above-quoted document:
"The XM Everything and SIRIUS Everything packages will
offer a service similar to that offered today for the standard subscription of $12.95."

Plus they'll have an interesting slate of a la carte options available.

There is, however, a lot of wiggle room there! "Select", "best of", "similar", etc.

I'll be interested how long these prices will stay fixed but I imagine there will be pressures from HD Radio, iTunes (and other online-music providers), and regular commercial radio.

CDH.

The real big deal here was the huge amounts of money spent just for the cost of competing with one another. That and eliminating costs for redundant programming should allow the merged company to become profitable. Both cos. have been operating at a loss and no profits in sight for the foreseeable future.

ITs actually the oppisite. XM is down and Sirius is up.

Not where I'm looking...... XM up 15%, Sirius up 10%.... Usually the one getting taken over gets the boost, while the bigger fish gets the smaller bump or evena drop..... I thought it would a lot more, but maybe the market is waiting for the FCC to remove the last hurdle....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts