CNN HD to Launch In September

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6406035.html

DirecTV’s announcement Monday that it plans to carry 100 national HD services this year made extra work for some network publicists because several HD networks on the list don’t exist and hadn’t even been announced as planned.

The direct-broadcast satellite carrier said it had “signed agreements, or agreements in principle,” with more than 70 networks, including HD versions of NBC Universal’s Sci Fi Channel and USA Network; Fox Cable Networks’ FX, Speed Channel and National Geographic Channel; and Turner Broadcasting System outlets Cartoon Network, CNN and TBS.

The release came out Monday at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

NBC U -- which distributes a conglomerate service called Universal HD showing programming from its owned networks -- would only say that it’s still evaluating a suite of HD channels, releasing no specific names or timetable. USA and Sci Fi, though, are logical members of an NBC U HD suite.

CNN Worldwide president Jim Walton said during a Television Critics Association presentation in Pasadena, Calif., Tuesday that an HD version of CNN will launch in September. And Turner said later that Cartoon and TBS HD versions will also launch in September.

And HD TNT is already distributed by DirecTV, EchoStar Communications’ Dish Network, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications.

Fox’s regional sports networks and NGC -- which Fox co-owns and distributes -- have HD versions in the market. But there are no HD versions of FX or Speed and no plans for launches have been announced.

Fox, through a spokesman, said Tuesday, “Speed and FX now have ensured national distribution for their native HD production, meaning we can ramp up aggressively on either side.” And the NGC HD launch on DirecTV will push that service above 50 million homes, as the channel is already carried on Dish and has a recent agreement with Comcast.

DirecTV, with two new satellites launched, plans a “breakout year for HD,” saying that it will have 100 HD national services, more than three times as many as any cable company or satellite distributor currently has.

Most of the new launches will take place during the third quarter, DirecTV added.

CNN has be doing HD or at least WS SD for over 2 years, I have notice they only has mostly 16x9 video clips on CNN.com video area.

CNN Worldwide president Jim Walton said during a Television Critics Association presentation in Pasadena, Calif., Tuesday that an HD version of CNN will launch in September. And Turner said later that Cartoon and TBS HD versions will also launch in September.
Wow. More Turner channels showcasing stretch-o-vision. :(

Wow. More Turner channels showcasing stretch-o-vision. :(
Does it also appear that TBS will be borrowing FOX's idea of stretch-o-vision on their Sunday baseball package? Then, just in time for the League Division and League Championship coverage...real HD. Of course, that is assuming CNNHD and TBSHD are talking about broadcasting in 2007.
Does E*'s spat over Court TV put CNNHD and TBSHD in jeopardy for E* subs?

The confirmations represent the largest number of networks to commit to HD upgrades all at once. DirecTV's launching of two new satellites in 2007, combined with the satellite service's push for more HD content, has been a tipping point for a host of major networks previously biding their time before taking the plunge to HD.

Well either way before anyone can get the channels they half to be available. Once they are then Dish and everyone else will have the chance to get them. So overall it's a wait and see if the channels launch first.

But if, and when, CNN does go high-def, what will be the point of Voom's HD News? I can't see both that *and* CNN co-existing. So, if CNN-HD does come to exist, I think that Dish will either (a) not carry it because "we already have HD news" or (b) they will carry it and Voom will stop producing HD News.

Kinda like why I think Dish doesn't carry MHD (the MTV owned high-def station). I think it would 'compete' with Rave and Dish and Voom don't want that.

Robert

I don't have any problems with DirecTV getting credit for pushing several networks along with their HD plans. Committment to carry at launch is a big motivator for any network that wants to see a return on their investment.

E*, as usual, will trail behind D* some number of months before they too find the bandwidth to offer these networks. It's Charlie's way (yeah, the Rainbow deal was an anomaly). Even so, it's still good for us E* subs too. When the tide rises, all the boats get lifted.

But if, and when, CNN does go high-def, what will be the point of Voom's HD News? I can't see both that *and* CNN co-existing. So, if CNN-HD does come to exist, I think that Dish will either (a) not carry it because "we already have HD news" or (b) they will carry it and Voom will stop producing HD News.

Kinda like why I think Dish doesn't carry MHD (the MTV owned high-def station). I think it would 'compete' with Rave and Dish and Voom don't want that.

Robert

What is the point of HDnews now?:confused: It sucks and commentors suck.

What sucks about it? I think that when someone floats a comment like that, it should be backed up with something - they may not be as big as the other, but what they offer is pretty perfect if you dont want to sit around through anchor people giving their opinions and every single thing going on being called "Breaking News" - they do have room for improvement, but as a quick update with nice visuals, you cant beat it.

If E* does carry TBS-HD when it does launch, I think I will drop all SD stations and just get the HD pack. TBS is pretty much the only SD channel that I watch now.

If E* does carry TBS-HD when it does launch, I think I will drop all SD stations and just get the HD pack. TBS is pretty much the only SD channel that I watch now.
I agree. They are already showing many shows that appear to be HD ready. So, go ahead, bring on TBS HD!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)