CNN spamming my timers?

Zorlac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Iowa
I have Anthony Bourdain: parts Unknown set to record, have since its premier. No problems until a few days ago when I noticed the timer had 25 friggin entries, given there havent been nearly as many episodes, and I always set timers for "new episodes" only. The generic show description doesnt help much either. I deleted the timer, then re-entered it. No difference. So what gives? Is this CNN's fault or is it something on Dish's end?
2013-06-01 22.20.03.jpg

It's the way the program is listed by Tribune. This kind of thing happens to me with a few other timers I have especially on Comedy Central.
In the timer settings you can set a maximum number of recordings for any given timer.

It is because there isn't an episode number in the info. Dish will record those because it figures its better to be safe than sorry in case it is a new episode. Usually as it gets closer to airing, the info will have an episode number, and if it isn't new the recorder will then skip it. It happens to me a lot.
In the guide it looks like those episodes now have numbers.Are they still all in your timers or just the new ones?

A high percentage of the time as the actual air date comes the info is corrected and there is no recording. However especially if the info says N/A for episode number and the day has arrived, it most likely will record. There are also times with shows like Parking Wars when everything looks correct and shows it is an old show yet it still records because the coding we don't see is wrong.

did you set it for all recordings, if you didn't do the all airings option, then i see you would be pretty mad at Dish. but it's most likely you had it set up for all airing to record. and you may had done it on accident while in a rush to set up the recording. i had that happen to me and my household as in the setting up for all instead of weekly or once.

I had a similar problem with the Today show on my 722. The 4th hour is rebroadcast at 205am. It would always be scheduled to record. The same would happen when Discovery would run the marathons of old Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs. I would have to manually skip the recordings.
I'm happy to say that the software on the Hopper has fixed the problem. They are never scheduled to record.

Were they to add (rerun) to the title then you could specify "exact match" and avoid those others. (I usually forget to do this.)
I suppose Dish could give you a switch to not accept those without episode numbers but it might apply to all shows.
Then there are shows with names to long to match the search pattern, which in some cases is only 14 letters.

-Ken

I have Anthony Bourdain: parts Unknown set to record ... and I always set timers for "new episodes" only.
did you set it for all recordings, if you didn't do the all airings option, then i see you would be pretty mad at Dish. but it's most likely you had it set up for all airing to record.
In this case, the odds are 99% that the OP did nothing wrong - he/she really did set a "new" timer. As noted above, and shown in the screenshot, the episode # is marked "N/A". Because of that, the DVR can't be 100% certain that this is a new episode or a re-run, so it plays it safe by recording it. Yes, plenty will complain that it shouldn't, but plenty would also complain if they are in fact new and the DVR skipped them. You can always delete a program that you don't want / need, but you can watch it if it never got recorded !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)