Cnn?

Okay, sorry I'm so bad at this. Last time I had dish was in SD, and I had 2 Dishs mounted on my house, and I was receiving all of the SD channels I wanted. so now if i hit menu>6>1>1, I get a QAM setup and it asks for frequency scan range, and the check switch. should I mess with any of these? I don't know what they are, but if you can tell me what to do I'll give it a shot.

Okay, sorry I'm so bad at this. Last time I had dish was in SD, and I had 2 Dishs mounted on my house, and I was receiving all of the SD channels I wanted. so now if i hit menu>6>1>1, I get a QAM setup and it asks for frequency scan range, and the check switch. should I mess with any of these? I don't know what they are, but if you can tell me what to do I'll give it a shot.

Give it a shot...

I don't know what to do in the frequency ranges. do you know the frequencies of 61.5?

well the default is frequency 747, it also shows this if I reboot the Dish.
it shows 110 E* West, Transponder 7

check switch gives me this error:
A Dish Q-Box has been found instead of a a multi-dish switch. If you want to search for satellites available to your Q-Box, please press the "Scan" Button.

A Dish "satellite" receiver with a QAM tuner? Now I've heard everything! You appear to have a commercial setup that is using hybrid satellite and cable technology. Regular Dish customers and CSRs would probably have no clue. For example, the rest of us get to the Point Dish screen with menu-6-1-1, but there you see this QAM scanning stuff instead.

People have asked for this BTW, as an adjunct to receivers with ATSC OTA tuners. What model receiver do you have?

A Dish "satellite" receiver with a QAM tuner? Now I've heard everything! You appear to have a commercial setup that is using hybrid satellite and cable technology. Regular Dish customers and CSRs would probably have no clue. For example, the rest of us get to the Point Dish screen with menu-6-1-1, but there you see this QAM scanning stuff instead.

People have asked for this BTW, as an adjunct to receivers with ATSC OTA tuners. What model receiver do you have?

Dish receivers with QAM for MDU installations are nothing new.

Google QBox...

OK... It would appear from my Googling that a QBox is an auxiliary box that remodulates the QAM signal into QPSK for select Dish receivers.

Are these QBoxes for individual sale anywhere? Can they work on a cable setup?

my dish is provided through my home owners association, they have some sort of deal with Dish to provide programming. They have about 7 large satellites in a yard to receive all of the channels, and then the receivers are sold and everyone in the neighborhood gets it through that. the company selling it is called HBL Communications(HBL Communications). I have every other HD channel other than CNN HD though, so I am assuming I am pointed at all of the satellites. This is all of the information I have however. I'm not gonna go crazy about getting CNN, however it would be nice to have.

Since you do not have a standard E* reciever, you should check with HBL Comm. and your home owners assoc. Ask other neighbors if they are getting CNN. I clicked on your link to HBL, they have a support and online chat thru their website. give them a try with your question.

Last edited:
alright, everytime I try to go to their support page, it gives me an error. I do plan on contacting them about it and ask if their satellites are pointed there. Also, I have 2 ViP211s and 1 ViP622 in the setup. None of them get CNN HD, only CNN SD.

Check you locks. When new channels are added to my setup they usually are added locked. I have don't show locked channel on so I don't see them at first. When cnnHD was added 9436 was locked and I did not see it. The map down to 200 was not locked though.

i can't even put in 9436. its not in my guide at all. if i type in 9436, it takes me to starz which is not 9436

Since you do not have a standard E* reciever, you should check with HBL Comm. and your home owners assoc. Ask other neighbors if they are getting CNN. I clicked on your link to HBL, they have a support and online chat thru their website. give them a try with your question.

Vip211's and Vip622's are standard boxes. Nothing special about them.

OK... It would appear from my Googling that a QBox is an auxiliary box that remodulates the QAM signal into QPSK for select Dish receivers.

Are these QBoxes for individual sale anywhere? Can they work on a cable setup?

They will work with a cable setup but you'll need the correct equipment on the other side(headend).

alright, everytime I try to go to their support page, it gives me an error. I do plan on contacting them about it and ask if their satellites are pointed there. Also, I have 2 ViP211s and 1 ViP622 in the setup. None of them get CNN HD, only CNN SD.

Their satellites are pointed to either 129 or 61.5 otherwise you'd be missing a bunch of other HD channels. They may not have the transponder configured in their system which is why you are missing it.

It is likely that HBL hasn't added CNN HD yet. You need to talk to them about it.
well USA HD and SciFi HD got added right when everyone else said Dish turned em on. I think I get my channels when dish does.

there is no parental lock on my system, and CNN HD appears NOWHERE in the Guide.

well USA HD and SciFi HD got added right when everyone else said Dish turned em on. I think I get my channels when dish does.

there is no parental lock on my system, and CNN HD appears NOWHERE in the Guide.

Correct... that transponder has been active on 110 for a while. The one with CNN used to be SkyAngel on 61.5 and I'm not really sure about 129 but nothing else is active on it. Call the company that does the satellite and tell them you are missing a channel. If not, I can guarantee you will not have the next set of HD channels in your guide either.

I just e-mailed them and informed them of it. Hopefully they can get a lock on the transponder and I have CNN HD and the next wave of HD channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)