coax amp

reedacus25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Starkville
i know really not much about coax cabling and all that jazz but i do know that there is a signal loss problem with my splitter and the 2 tv's hooked up.

So here is what is the problem. when i have the line from the wall to the 42" LCD with QAM tuner picking up the unscrambled locals in HD for free, they come in crystal clear. but we also have a 37" regular old tube set hooked up to a series 2 TiVo. and when used with the splitter, it macroblocks to the point of it going completely blank.

So i ask: will a simple coax amp (Amazon.com: Motorola 484095-001-00 Signal Booster: Electronics) sufficiently amplify the signal to the strength to pass the QAM signal to the tv to watch, and also boost overall picture quality perhaps?

Thanks

I doubt it. A two way split doesn't have much loss, and I bet the signal isn't good in the first place.

However, this probably isn't the only wall jack, there's probably splitters in your basement or attic. Putting an amp before them will help. As will removing any unnecessary splitters and making sure you have good connections throughout.

its an old house.
and let me think, i think we now have 7 coax jacks?
the signal isnt perfect in the first place but in the original room it picked up the QAM channels fine until we split and hooked the modem too. then it did the same thing. and not its the same situation in the other room. whenever we wanna watch the QAM channels in there we have to sacrifice the tivo to have the nice QAM channels. but you think that would help? i might go with the head end amp solution. as it is a fair distance the cable travels. i will look into it. because i might want to boost the 2 lines, 1 dual tuner moto hd/dvr and then the second line would be the problematic QAM/TiVo ordeal. think that might help?
Thanks

I recomend calling the cable company. They will come and fix the problem for free. No need to waste money on an amp. It could be your drop or a homerun is bad and that extra 3.5db from that twoway sends it over the edge. So if you have not called them already do that first, thats what you pay them for :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts