Coax from node to Hopper question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I have one coax (3 Gzhz) from dish to the node location.

My home was built in 2007 and it has RG6 to every room from a single location ... one coax to each. It does not say it is 3 Ghz so I assume it is not ... standard contractor stuff but it is 18 gauge.

Coax can not be replaced or added ... what is in place is what it is.

Question. Will the Hopper work (correctly) with what I assume is likely NOT 3 Mhz RG6 coax?

I don't want to schedule and upgrade and then have a tech tell me it won't work without new coax and or waste his/her time as a result. I also understand there are rules about this that the tech probably need to follow.

Have a Hopper in bedroom with 20+ year old RG-6 and it works fine. 3 other rooms have the same cable and no issues with the Joey's either. My new Family Room has the 3 gig RG-6 and a Hopper. I can't see any difference between the Bedroom's or Family Rooms picture quality.

The 3 gig rating simply means the cable was sweep tested to 3 gig.

The odds are in your favor that you will have no problems. Joeys don't require 3ghz but Super Joeys do because they have satellite tuners built in.

Thanks for the replies .. I will give it a try and hope it works out.

So just wondering....what kind of symptoms might occur if the RG-6 is not 3ghz?
You could have issues with the 3rd tuner - anything from weaker signal to maybe not working at all.

Just because a cable is not tested/rated to 3ghz does not mean it won't be capable of 3ghz. Most quality RG6 will be fine, the problem for Dish is there is no reliable way for a field tech to know how good the cable really is, so the standard is to replace non-rated cable in hopes of avoiding any potential issues and a future truck roll.

My house has standard RG6.. NOT 3 gig swept. Not even Dish Approved.. Cheap Cable. Running TWO Hoppers and Two Joeys.. Never had a single Problem at all and I got my Hoppers almost the first day they came out.. DISH has a minimum standard that is way over what is actually needed.. But since I installed mine myself I wasn't about to change all my old cable... By the Way I have A Genie and a HR24 DirecTV Boxes also on the same old crappy cable.. WITH NO PROBLEMS.. And DIRECTV also wants 3 GIG Cable.. The moral of the story here is as long as your cable has good connections and not torn up, DON"T WORRY about it.. I see to much worry by people here on this cable stuff.. I quit paying attention to the indoctrinated Dish Crazies a long time ago that only spout the same old tired company lines. If they come to your house let them do it their way.. But if you are doing it your self, The cable, The grounding, and Type of Connectors are not going to change a thing as long as they are on correctly..

Oh by the way, my system has NEVER been grounded and never will.. And it works perfectly.

Got installed today and all is good.

No coax, connectors or anything replaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)