Coax type

MaD MiKe

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
IL
I am looking into the MPEG4s that D* will possibly be going to in February but in the mean time I was wondering about the coax currently installed in my house... When the house was built 5 years ago I'm quite sure it was wired for RG6 dual shield which brings me to the question..
What type of coax will be needed to go to D* HDTV and their newer receivers???

Welcome to Satellite Guys.

and as far as the coax you are fine.

RG-6 is the stuff you want. Older houses likely have RG-59 which has a noticably thinner copper center core. Satellite system require the thicker RG-6, although some have posted that they have gotten away with their RG-59 wiring at short distances.

There is also a RG-11 that I think is very thick and is what a cable co would run under your yard.

Most Cable Company’s don't run RG11 unless you’re over 100ft from the tap. All though some with really poor RF levels will as its cheaper then bringing up the RF levels.

Bresnan in Durango CO comes to mind. I ran more RG11 on new installs in 3 months I was out there then I ever did the 3 years I worked for Cox Omaha.

Most cable companies that know what there doing will bury flooded cable to every residence but its still RG6.

Thanks for all the replys as it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling... :D I would have ran quad shield myself throught out the house if necessary being the handy man I am.. :)
dfergie Thanks for the correction in my provider acronyms.. I'm a quick learner ;)
TheDishNetworkInstaller Thanks and I will search for the thread on the MPEG4s and get up to speed. I have been patiently waiting for close to a year for the latest and greatest and my E* provider has been working with me just great in keepin me informed "with what he is told". In the meantime I have installed an OTA antenna in the attic and ran it through a signal combiner and will continue with my upgrade to HDTV with the purchase of a Sony KD-34XBR960 CRT to begin with.. I won't give up on E* but I won't spend another dime until the technology and programming is up to standards..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts