Coaxial A/B Switch

Jim1348

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I bought a Samsung UN22D5000 two days ago to replace a Samsung LNT1953H TV/Computer monitor. The older one has two F connectors for coaxial cable, but the newer one has only one. Because I like to have both an over the air antenna and DISH network, I need twin coaxial cables. I bought a cheap Philips A/B this weekend and found it to be very lossy. Some much so that when I connected either cable by itself everything was fine, but simply adding that switch and a short 3 foot run of RG-6 the over the air channels pixelate. I suppose it could be the patch cable or the switch. At any rate I am know wondering if all A/B switches are created equally, or if some are more lossy than others. And, if that is the case, what are some better switches that won't lose as much signal?

I bought a Samsung UN22D5000 two days ago to replace a Samsung LNT1953H TV/Computer monitor. The older one has two F connectors for coaxial cable, but the newer one has only one. Because I like to have both an over the air antenna and DISH network, I need twin coaxial cables. I bought a cheap Philips A/B this weekend and found it to be very lossy. Some much so that when I connected either cable by itself everything was fine, but simply adding that switch and a short 3 foot run of RG-6 the over the air channels pixelate. I suppose it could be the patch cable or the switch. At any rate I am know wondering if all A/B switches are created equally, or if some are more lossy than others. And, if that is the case, what are some better switches that won't lose as much signal?

Please more information about your equipment, what model DISH receiver, where is the receiver located, what channel is used for satellite signal? The satellite receiver may have a built in A/B switch or you could use a 3/4 signal combiner.

When I see the word cheap being used that to me might be a red flag. So my only suggestion would be first try a different style a/b switch and not from Radio Shack. Also after pulling up the manual for it, I'd recheck it as being 116 pages long there might be something you missed in the menu settings.

My set up is:

-DISH 722k Receiver

-The 722k is connected to a Panasonic 42" plasma connected via HDMI in the same room as the receiver and, in addition to that, I run 50 feet of RG6 to the Samsung to simultaneously watch the same content on the PIP display while surfing the web.

-TV1 output is on Cable Channel 73 and TV2 output is on Cable Channel 93.

I am not familiar with a 3/4 signal combiner. What is that and how would that work in this situation?

My set up is:

-DISH 722k Receiver

-The 722k is connected to a Panasonic 42" plasma connected via HDMI in the same room as the receiver and, in addition to that, I run 50 feet of RG6 to the Samsung to simultaneously watch the same content on the PIP display while surfing the web.

I am not familiar with a 3/4 signal combiner. What is that and how would that work in this situation?

Fifty feet of RG6 might be an issue, you might try moving the Samsung closer to see if the long run is causing the problem, easy test.

I think this maybe what he was talking about. RF Modulator Video Audio Channel 3/4 TV Switch Signal Combiner, Internal Replacement Part for Satellite Receiver, 6 Wires Connections and 2 F-Connector Ports, Part # YY-1211: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Vid

Fifty feet of RG6 might be an issue, you might try moving the Samsung closer to see if the long run is causing the problem, easy test.

I think this maybe what he was talking about. RF Modulator Video Audio Channel 3/4 TV Switch Signal Combiner, Internal Replacement Part for Satellite Receiver, 6 Wires Connections and 2 F-Connector Ports, Part # YY-1211: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Vid
No not even close to what was suggested. A SC-3 or a SC-4 combines the output of many satellite receivers with an OTA signal. Example would be a VIP612 using channel 3 as it's modulated output channel would use a SC-3(signal combiner ch 3) and an OTA antenna. It combines the 2 signals on one coax so that if you want to watch satellite tv you tune the TV to analog ch 3 if you want digital antenna you simply tune to 4-1 or 13-2 etc no switching A/B to select what you want. Do a google search for SC-3 signal combiner.

Last edited:
My set up is:

-DISH 722k Receiver

With the 722 the SC-3/4 won't work because it dosen't use channel 3 or 4 for output. Go into the menu and change the output of the 722 to OTA instead of CABLE combine the satellite output with the over the air antenna signal by using a 2 way splitter in reverse. On the satellite receiver choose OTA channels that aren't used by existing TV stations for example instead of 73 & 93 use 60 & 62.

No not even close to what was suggested.

Your absolutely correct on that, my error, thanks for the correction. I had found that first and copied and then looked more and found this one but I didn't recopy the link and then didn't recheck after I posted the link. This is the one I had mean to post which is what I believe your talking about.
Amplified Channel 3 Signal Combiner 15dB Audio Video Local Off-Air Aerial Antenna Channel Three Modulator 15 dB with 6 Stage Bandpass / Bandstop Filter, Part # 40-SC3A: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Sa

Your absolutely correct on that, my error, thanks for the correction. I had found that first and copied and then looked more and found this one but I didn't recopy the link and then didn't recheck after I posted the link. This is the one I had mean to post which is what I believe your talking about.
Amplified Channel 3 Signal Combiner 15dB Audio Video Local Off-Air Aerial Antenna Channel Three Modulator 15 dB with 6 Stage Bandpass / Bandstop Filter, Part # 40-SC3A: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Sa
Much closer but I prefer unamplified, if amplification is needed I prefer to do it as a separate unit.