Coaxial for satellite the same as cable?

LandoftheRich

Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Had to switch over to cable a few weeks ago (miss my Dish Network already) and am adding another TV. I've got all this coaxial thats left over from Dish and am wondering if I can use it for the cable tv run. One cable says RG6 1800mhz 17awg. The other one says RG6 3000mhz 18awg 75ohm.

I remember hearing something about cable using a lower frequency signal than satellite - are these RG6's still ok to use?

Had to switch over to cable a few weeks ago (miss my Dish Network already) and am adding another TV. I've got all this coaxial thats left over from Dish and am wondering if I can use it for the cable tv run. One cable says RG6 1800mhz 17awg. The other one says RG6 3000mhz 18awg 75ohm.

I remember hearing something about cable using a lower frequency signal than satellite - are these RG6's still ok to use?

YES

rg-6 cable

dont use the stuff you have. It will never work. You'll need to go to home depot or lowes and get the gold tipped connectors and rg-6 cable. The frequencies of your cable are way too high.

CATV cuts off at 1000 MHZ so your cable wont work. It will just be snow.

You CAN use cable designed for satellite dishes for cable, but not the other way around.:)
Bob

dont use the stuff you have. It will never work. You'll need to go to home depot or lowes and get the gold tipped connectors and rg-6 cable. The frequencies of your cable are way too high.

CATV cuts off at 1000 MHZ so your cable wont work. It will just be snow.

For someone named Cableguy... you sure know how to give bad information.

This is the complete opposite of the truth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)