Cold Weather and FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

baya

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
TEXAS
This question is related to reception in cold, real cold weather.

I hope someone can post a nice link so we can learn the reason or reasons why we get better reception during cold weather.

I was pulling my hair, cursing all the saints, blaming the republicans when I could not get Cubavision now just by MAGIC I get Cubavision with a quality of 58%.

Please, Bear with me when I say, I do not believe in BUDU stuff. :cool:

So! I will be waiting for the book to be thrown at me. :D

I too have noticed the cold weather effect you speak of. My guess is that it is due to the lower humidity in the air during really cold weather.

As for the Republicans, keep on blaming them. God knows they are responsible for most of the evils in the world, FTA and otherwise. ;-)

Cold weather seems to make stuff work better :D

Being in MN, signal this week were higher than normal (of course the temp had been between 0-20 above)

But also Cubavision on PAS9 has had some issues due to weather in that area. Also they may not be running at full power..they use to be at 80 quality and then it dropped right before hurricane season to 50

I know changes in temp. do seem to affect reception. On CBS Newspath (IA6) a normal signal on my Coolsat is 69 which is just a few points above breakup. In the summer months it comes in fine in the morning, but at about 2 or 3 pm it will start to breakup. Then about 7 pm it will be ok again. I checked it today (teens and snowing and windy) and it is at 72.

I worry that cold weather could cause misalignment of the dish. I used to have a ham radio tower in the backyard. Every winter it would lean towards the garage and touch the eves, then in the spring it leaned back away again. Up on the roof, wood may change dimensions slighly. A lot of people have drywall on vaulted ceilings show cracks each winter as it now has temperature differentials on the three sides of the triangular roof trusses. Our roof is covered in snow. I'm not going up there until its gone.

My signals at night when it gets colder get worse. The older lnb's have to be rescanned channel by channel on each bird almost every night each fall and winter. AMC 1 and IA 6 being the worse with AMC 1's lnb the oldest. This is true on the birds where trees are in the way or not.

MikeI said:
My signals at night when it gets colder get worse. The older lnb's have to be rescanned channel by channel on each bird almost every night each fall and winter. AMC 1 and IA 6 being the worse with AMC 1's lnb the oldest. This is true on the birds where trees are in the way or not.

How long does it take you to do the re-scan? I could not take it myself.

ABout 15 minutes on AMC 1. 12025, 12031, 37, 43, 49, 55, 65, 71, 77, 83, 89, 95, 117, 129, 135, 145, 151, 157, 163, 169 & 175 are the ones I have to check each night. 145 and up may have a high school or college game.

MikeI said:
... The older lnb's have to be rescanned channel by channel on each bird almost every night each fall and winter....

What are you describing here? What happened to the old settings? They changed as the LNB drifts?:confused:

Tim
The older LNB's seem to drift due to extreme temperature changes. I have an old one that the warmer it gets, the more it drifts off the "given frequency (especially on G10)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)