Cold Weather loss of service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So, at the risk of sounding slow ....

My new slimline dish has an lnb with three "eye's" and a sort of "hood" extending out from the top of the largest one. It has four output connections, all of which carry the five main satellite feeds. Is this an SWM lnb ? What exactly IS an SWM lnb ? Is it a Winegaurd or Eagle Aspen lnb ? (I haven't experienced any signal loss issues .... yet.)

Sorry for the hijack but this seemed like the most logical place to ask ....

Regards,

UB. :)

Here's the official Satellite Guy's review on the SWM...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/136018-satelliteguys-premiere-review-directv-swm-lnb.html

Basically it makes possible the ability to run just 1 single coaxial to your DVR and still allows recording access on both tuners.

So, at the risk of sounding slow ....

My new slimline dish has an lnb with three "eye's" and a sort of "hood" extending out from the top of the largest one. It has four output connections, all of which carry the five main satellite feeds. Is this an SWM lnb ? What exactly IS an SWM lnb ? Is it a Winegaurd or Eagle Aspen lnb ? (I haven't experienced any signal loss issues .... yet.)

Sorry for the hijack but this seemed like the most logical place to ask ....

Regards,

UB. :)

SWM (single wire module) has just one wire coming from the LNB.

The WNC model has white LNB caps, the Eagle Aspen has clear.

Sounds like you have the non-swm LNB, and should be fine.

This is incorrect. I do not have the SWM lnb. I have the Slimline-5 with the previous lmb setup, installed in late 2007.

The WNC SWM LNB is the only thing we've heard any acknowledgement on that they were having wide-spread problems with cold. Your LNB could be failing or something, but we haven't heard any reports with widespread problems on non-swm.

Scott said there has been communication to retailers to not use the WNC SWM LNB in cold climates.

The WNC SWM LNB is the only thing we've heard any acknowledgement on that they were having wide-spread problems with cold. Your LNB could be failing or something, but we haven't heard any reports with widespread problems on non-swm.

Scott said there has been communication to retailers to not use the WNC SWM LNB in cold climates.

I understand, but the fact of the matter is my non-SWM has been experiencing issues in the cold too. Just thought it should be noted that this isn't isolated to just the SWM, although those ones appear to be more wide spread.

Not sure if "cold" was the only reason for my issues upon further thought. It may have been a combination of cold, ice and snow on the LMB's and satellite. Either way, it's working now, so I'm cool.

If you get ice on any Dish or LNB, it will stop until it thaws, ragardless of brand/service.

Snow build-up on a dish can also block signal.

SWM (single wire module) has just one wire coming from the LNB.

The WNC model has white LNB caps, the Eagle Aspen has clear.

Sounds like you have the non-swm LNB, and should be fine.

I agree ... the caps are clear and there are four connectors so it must be the non-SWM type.

((( Phew ))) Dodged a bullet there. :)

UB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Replacing Dead DirecTivO

Cancel most D* premiums and get Turbo HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)