This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Combination Lease/Equipment Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Happy Camper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Central Texas
Because our much used Sony standard definition DirecTV TiVo occasionally exhibited signs of "dying soon," I bought an R10 from Value Electronics and stuck it in the closet for the soon to happen failure of our Sony. I did not want the new DirecTV R15 without TiVo software. Wife finally learned TiVo system, loves it, and I do not want to change unless I have to.

Of course, I have cleverly let March 1 go by without activating the new R10.

If I try now to replace my existing owned TiVo now with the new, "owned" R10, will it fall under the stupid lease rules or will it be owned?

If I try to put the card from the old Sony TiVo into the new R10 instead of activating the new card, would the R10 work? If it did, would D* know I had a newer, bought, R10?

If it's relevant, we are charter Premiere package subscribers with four receivers, HD package-the works. We do not pay a TiVo fee, but we do pay mirror fees for our extra receivers.

Thanks.

yes directv would know you have a new IRD, you have to call them to "marry" the old card to the new IRD.

Thanks Dragon.

If I switch to the new box now and call to activate, do you know if it's "leased," because of the activation date, or "owned" because it was bought in February and replaces an owned unit one for one?

It should be "owned" if you activate it before 3/30. After that you might be stuck with a lease.

When you call to activate, make sure you tell D* it's owned and you don't want a lease. Then after, check your account on D*'s website to see if it shows up as leased. If it does, call D* and ask for access card dept and get it switched to "owned".

Last edited:

I may be wrong on this so don't quote me but last I heard as long as you bought the box before 3-1-06 it should be treated as an owned box and not a leased box. This lease thing is only for those that buy a box "after" 3-1-06.

LonghornXP said:
I may be wrong on this so don't quote me but last I heard as long as you bought the box before 3-1-06 it should be treated as an owned box and not a leased box. This lease thing is only for those that buy a box "after" 3-1-06.

I thought you were still able to "buy" a recevier if you did not want to lease one?

According to the Solidsignal Equipment Lease Program Information the IRD can be activated as "owned" if purchased before 3/1. But they stipulate that it must be activated before 3/30 so D* is givuing a 30 day grace period. It looks to me that D* is setting up to allow lease only after 3/30. Which brings up this question, how will D* know if you purchased before 3/1? I don't think D* will be requiring receipts so if someone were inclined to be dishonest...

Honestly do you think DirecTV even cares. After 3-30 if you try and activate owned hardware they will put you on the lease plan or tell you to take a hike. I know it sounds harsh but they haven't exactly been being nice to customers with the lease plan so why would they do the right thing with this. I've talked with Stephanie Campbell a while ago and she told me she got out because of how this company was starting to run. She even told me that it would most likely only get worse as Murdock was going to fire "anyone" who defied him on "his" plans. I at first didn't believe her but now I wish I had and said something more because this has gotten very bad. Murdock tells his people to try a lease plan with no upfront costs and they do all the work and in the last minute Murdock wants something different and everyone must go along with it or risk their jobs. We aren't talking about little works but guys like Chase Carey because if they are fired by Murdock do you know how big of an impact that would be on their careers. Your better off quiting because if you stay and things fall apart Murdock would surely blame you and say you should have told me I couldn't do this without a customer backlash and a class action suit. Now at the time Murdock has his bright idea you don't dare go against it.

You can't win with people like Murdock who think they are the only ones who can do the job because I tell you this much if you pay a manager that makes 50 grand a year now over 250 grand he/she will do a better job than the current guys. Nobody on this earth is ever worth millions but these people think they are and that ego is always what kills them at the end of the day. They get themselves so disconnected from the average joe they have no idea what is going too far for them.

Also of some note I won't be getting much information on DirecTV news anymore because most of my contacts aren't talking anymore and my brother is getting very close (less than a month) from leaving DirecTV and finding another job. He is sick of it and he knows its only a matter of time before the system ruins his career. Smart people tend to know when you must jump ship before it crashes and that is exactly what he is doing now.

VE just sent me the unit and I paid for it-no equipment agreement. It has not been thirty days yet. They know it's a one for one replacment, if that makes any difference. As of today, I don't think they sell it anymore.

Pleasant Surprise

A nice surprise-DirecTV is cooperative! Bought the new R10 in February-activated it yesterday. They had no problem in showing it as owned, not leased, activated it and so I have the new R10 with no added cost. Thank goodness we got the last of the TiVo software-no additional wifely training or complaining.

They took my word for the purchase date, so if you can still find a sale model out there, I'm thinking you can still hook it up as "owned."

I appreciate you guys commenting and helping me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.