Combine Channel 3 RF with OTA on single coax. What works?

M5OD-R1

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
SE Wisconsin
My goal is add satellite programming to an existing second (seldom used) TV in another room that currently has only OTA/ATSC reception.

Can I combine the channel 3 RF-modulated signal from the dish 211k with the OTA signal from my antenna and send it to my NTSC/ATSC capable TV in the adjacent room? I only have one RG6 coax cable inside the walls to that location and would prefer to not run another line to an A/B switch at the TV.

Could I use a splitter in reverse or do a need a special signal combiner like this one on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DLS-Channel...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35c3113d45

(if I can’t post a link, search for 230905953605 on Ebay)

The closest viewable signal to channel 3 is a nearby FOX affiliate which uses physical channel 8 (VHF high-band 180.31 MHz). Channel 3 is VHF low-band at 60.31 MHz) Doesn’t seem there would be any interference so maybe a reverse splitter would work fine. Anyone have any experience doing this?

The item you posted above will work perfect. I used the same thing a year or so ago to combine my OTA and a satellite receiver.
3 will be analog 3
everything else on digital will pass through

I'd be leery of using a splitter in reverse mode....too many things can go wrong

I use a 4 way splitter in reverse, no problems

Port 1 4dtv modulated on ch4
Port2 Dish 722 modulated ch 60&62
Port3. OTA antenna
Port4. 3 channel modulator ch21 azbox me -ch37 amino alien2- ch 50 micro hd
Output hooked to amp, out of amp to 8 way splitter

This was my solution for multiplexing several sources and 2 Dish 722s (channels 60-66).
Channels should be 2 apart. There is more space between VHF 4&5 6&7 13&UHF 14 up.
There are cable channels 6 and 7 and above 13.

Dish plus antenna. Inputs on left and outputs on right. Uses splitters and reversed ones.

DPP44#1--[power.insert]-->[Separator]===>[Sat.1,2.722]
........+-------------------------------<[Out.1+2..#1]
........|...........................+--->[Ant.in.....]
........|...........................|
DPP44#2------------------>[Separator]===>[Sat.1,2.722]
........|.+-----------------------------<[Out.1+2..#2]
........|.|.........................|.+->[Ant.in.....]
........|.+--->[#1.UHF/]...[4-out]>-+.|
........+----->[#2.VHF.]...[UHF/.]>---+.[split]>->DVD.in.etc.
UHF/VHF.ant--->[#3.4-in]-->[VHF..]>---->[2/3/4]>->TV
DVD.out------->[#4.-6dB]...[+10dB]>-+
....................................+-->[rf.]
DPP44#3-------------------------------->[sat]>-->Remote.622

In theory it could feed out a small signal to antenna but
I have 45 miles to TV towers and only 1 or 2 houses in that direction.
Note use of a 10dB gain amp (Radio Shack) with 4 outputs.
It may look like loop back but they are at different frequencies.

-Ken

My goal is add satellite programming to an existing second (seldom used) TV in another room that currently has only OTA/ATSC reception.

Can I combine the channel 3 RF-modulated signal from the dish 211k with the OTA signal from my antenna and send it to my NTSC/ATSC capable TV in the adjacent room? I only have one RG6 coax cable inside the walls to that location and would prefer to not run another line to an A/B switch at the TV.

Could I use a splitter in reverse or do a need a special signal combiner like this one on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DLS-Channel-3-Signal-Combiner-/230905953605?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35c3113d45

(if I can?t post a link, search for 230905953605 on Ebay)

The closest viewable signal to channel 3 is a nearby FOX affiliate which uses physical channel 8 (VHF high-band 180.31 MHz). Channel 3 is VHF low-band at 60.31 MHz) Doesn?t seem there would be any interference so maybe a reverse splitter would work fine. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Splitters are pretty cheap. You could always try and if it doesn't work what are you really out? 6 bucks maybe?

I used a splitter to combine TV2 out from my 722K and my antenna to a pc usb tuner. It works fine now that there aren't any analog ota signals anymore. I used analog channel 60 out from the 722K. Although, to be honest, the quality from the rf output isn't all that good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)