Combine home distribution with two receivers

Dishusercan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
US
I need to combine two receivers for I can have 4 channels back feeded to the rest of my tvs. What can I used to combine them?

Thanks

This is what I did for 2 VIP722s combined with antenna and sent to multiple TVs and recorders.

Dish plus antenna

DPP44#1--[power.insert]-->[Separator]===>[Sat.1,2.722]
........+-------------------------------<[Out.1+2..#1]
........|...........................+--->[Ant.in.....]
........|...........................|
DPP44#2------------------>[Separator]===>[Sat.1,2.722]
........|.+-----------------------------<[Out.1+2..#2]
........|.|.........................|.+->[Ant.in.....]
........|.+--->[#1.UHF/]...[4-out]>-+.|
........+----->[#2.VHF.]...[UHF/.]>---+.[split]>->DVD.in.etc.
UHF/VHF.ant--->[#3.4-in]-->[VHF..]>---->[2/3/4]>->TV
DVD.out------->[#4.-6dB]...[+10dB]>-+
....................................+-->[rf.]
DPP44#3-------------------------------->[sat]>-->Remote.622

In theory it could feed out a small signal to antenna but I have 45 miles to TV towers and only 1 or 2 houses in that direction.
Note use of a 10dB gain amp (Radio Shack) with 4 outputs.
It may look like loop back but they are at different frequencies.

-Ken

Last edited:
I agree with Ken, I did the same thing but also combined:

50 channel Cable analog feed (below channel 60 with low pass filter to keep above 60 clean)
Analog off air
Modulated signals from 1-VPI722, 1-VIP622, 1-VIP-612 Solo
Modulated signals from 4 outdoor TV monitor cameras

End result
Ch 1-52 - Cable
Ch 70-78 - Outdoor Cameras
Ch 80-90 - VIP receivers
Ch 92 - Apple TV Family Room
Ch 94 - Apple TV Master BR
Ch 96 - Google TV Family Room
Ch 98 - Big Ten Network.

I purposefully left a gap between 52-60 and started at 70 as low pass filters are notoriously not very presise. Besides my cable company uses 62-64 to transmit their scoped digital analyser screen on. It's nice when I'm doing trouble shoot to be able to see exactly where the falloff are on the cable and also see the Internet spikes on the upstream and downstream sides.

Of course, on the other TV's it's not HD but modulated stereo using Channel Vision stuff but that's fine. At the HDTV's where the 722,622,612 are I hook those up direct HDMI HD.

The trick of course, as Ken said, is to judiciously (or have a friend that works at the cable company come over one night for some beer and his DB meter) keep track of normalization. You always want to assume that whatever signal strength Dish, the cable company, Apple etc, decided to output from their equipment is meant to be delivered to your final equipment. So if you used 2 splitters to get a cable to your TV you are now -6db down or 1/4 of the original signal strength.

What I do is whatever he reads direct from the disconnected cable in signal strength I normalize to zero (0) db in my system. That's of course a baseline I use in my head. For all intents and purposes I mark that cable end as 0 db. I then have a lower powered amp that brings the baseline up +10db for starters. Then for every splitter I have stickers after then on the cables that tell me that I'm at +7 , +4, etc. When I get to - something I'll insert a high end (from Worthington Distribution) very low noise 15db amp (never above as they distort above 15db) then add the +15 to whatever is coming in. So if I had -3 coming in, now I have +12 coming out and keep track again. I never allow any final outbound terminating feeds to drop below +3 or +9db.

I use +3 for any runs from the basement to the basement or 1st floor.
+6 for further runs like to the back screened in porch or the outlet on the patio
+9 goes up to the 2nd floor (much longer runs), and it it look overdriven simple 3db or 6db drop inserts brings the signal down to normalized quality again.

I use RG6 dual for short runs and to runs for small non-HD sets like Kitchen, porch, laundry room, etc.
Dual Quad shielded RG6 for all runs to the 'real HDTV's'

So I'm always at +just-a-little-sometime at the back of every consuming device. Easy to shed signal at that point.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)